Sign in to follow this  
michaelb15

OMG FPS!@!@!

I dont know what I did or how my computer is doing it, but I reciently reformatted my computer, and1) I can now overclock my pentium D 2.8ghz to over 3ghz, and before I had hard times going above 2.85.2)Nvidia Inspector will not start up for what ever the reason I dont know whats wrong with it.. im gonna post somthing asking about that in another forum..3) I can now get 22fps (locked at 22fps) where before I had troubles maintaining 8fps.Its pretty amazing apart from nvidia inspector.I dont know what the reformat did, but now that I look back im really happy that I did it.Im hoping that when I install the addons it will continue to produce these results because right now its just stock FSX deluxe + accleleration. (with my old tweaked FSX.cfg, from before the reformat)It was actually a system crash that made me reformat, because the boot.ini file got messed up, and in my futile attempts to repair it, I royaly screwed up the XP installation, so I just reformatted completly..I kept all the planes that I had downloaded, I have all the .zip files on my spare hard drive so I dont have to redownload them, I just gotta reinstall them. and the scenery.but yea im really happy about everything that happened, just so happy that I had to post this :D:D :)

Stock FSX will run faster, it can bog down a bit when you add lots of things to it, particularly souped-up terrain, watch the load times for terrain on stock FSX and compare it to when you have photorealistic terrain loading up. That's indicative of more stuff going into RAM, and more stuff in RAM means lower FPS as you computer takes longer to sort it out. But having said all that, a reformat does also blow lots of cobwebs out as well, so if you keep it nicely defragged, it probably will continue to run better than it did. Anyway, glad to see you getting decent FPS. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest jahman

Now that your FSX install is running great, make a full system backup! Cheers, - jahman.

Now that your FSX install is running great, make a full system backup! Cheers, - jahman.
Is it possible to just copy over my entire hard drive onto another one? will that make a backup so if windows crashes and I need to reformat, I just have to reformat that hard drive, then copy over the backup that I made? Is that possible?

Is it possible to just copy over my entire hard drive onto another one? will that make a backup so if windows crashes and I need to reformat, I just have to reformat that hard drive, then copy over the backup that I made? Is that possible?
A better option would be to use a disk imaging program. My favorite at the moment is Macrium Reflect (freeware). I used it a while back when I upgraded my FSX drive from a 120GB SSD to 240GB. I made a Reflect image of the FS drive, put in the new drive, and expanded the image onto it. It was fast and accurate and every little setting was exactly as it had been before. Bear in mind though that if you're backing things up, it's best to also have a backup of your system drive. A lot of addons (and FSX itself) make registry entries that you'll need in order to run the sim from a restored backup.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Guest jahman

No, you have to use a specialized backup program. Just copying your C:\ to somewhere else will not work. You can of course use Windows' Backup for, er... backing up. Cheers, - jahman.

Addons in many cases eat a lot of your processing power, so you may got similar FPS results than before after installing them. I know the difference, because I've installed several of these during the last 3 weeks being new to sim. Default sim was so easy for my rig, but load started to increase little by little after some addons: REX2, GEX NA, UTX NA and finally MyTraffic X. Especially after the last one I had to do some more tuning to get decent frame rates in AI heavy areas (I usually test FPS in La Guardia as there are a lot of traffic going on JFK being also close). I fly otherwise maxed out, except water 2 high, air traffic at 50% (with MTX), none of the ridicilously resource hog cars and boats and ships somewhere around 10%. When I take off FPS is low teens at first first but rises to acceptable 20-25 after short flying (I guess FSX loads still some data to the memory for a while after sim has loaded so engine can't access data fast enough at first) with some short FPS drops to around 15 fps now and then. In more quieter areas and higher FPS is always a lot more without any noticeable stuttering, but for me low altitude flying in NYC has been a nice benchmark: if it works there, it works everywhere. It is amazing how CPU heavy this game really is, though it isn't still very old. Still I don't know how much there is FS9-related code in it, so its almost obsolete game engine code may be explained by the fact, that it's roots are a lot older. I think I already know a christmas present for me, if Intel is on schedule. I think I have to ditch my well served 920 and buy myself a new MB, some memory and a 3000-series i7 CPU to feed this baby. That should help a little biggrin.png