Sign in to follow this  
scott967

XBox Live on Win 8 and Flight

At MS Build 2011 conference a session was given on running XBox Live games on the Win 8 platform. Win 8 seems too far away for Flight (at least, if the FSX-vista fiasco timeline is representative). ISTM though that XBox of some sort is still the direction MS games needs to go. I don't see "Games for Windows" going anywhere. scott s..

Seeing that Flight is already under the Live umbrella and not the Games for Windows umbrella you already have what you predicted. I also think that Flight will be released on DVDs.

The direction that MS is going in the overall scheme of things to make the operating system you run on your phone, tablet, and PC the same version of Windows. While I have not heard Xbox 360 mentioned; I would imagine the same is true for it as well. That would mean games and other applications that run on all four; provided they have the CPU power, memory and storage to handle it. (My brother was showing me XPlane running on his ipad last week, Trainz is available for the ipad as well.) I think that the release of Flight will be timed with that of Windows 8 because I think many of the changes outside of the scenery ones we have seen will have to do with integrating it with the Windows 8; the interface changes, app store, and multi-device support. if the rumor mentioned in another thread is true that Flight will be released with just Hawaii and a few planes (and I am not saying it is); that may be so that it will work on tablet PCs and lower powered hardware. More serious hardware may be able to have the entire world and other addons included. -James

if the rumor mentioned in another thread is true that Flight will be released with just Hawaii and a few planes (and I am not saying it is)
It's not even a rumor....just an uneducated guess.

Brandon Filer

hopefully one doesnt need XBL gold to access the XBL features on windows 8...

-Raymond W

PC Specs: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X - ASUS B550M-K - 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz - MSI 3070 TI Gaming X Trio

Flight will not be business as usual, not like FSX was.....
And by that you mean?And you know this because?

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

And by that you mean?And you know this because?
And by that you mean?As I said before, the dev. (some) are in the loop with MS this time, so what will be the best way for the dev. to sell their add-ons without loosing money to piracy (piracy is not bullet proof but peoples can be banned if cut cheating), that will also mean that MS will make more money if the devs. do not have their products pirated (% on each sales +) so for that to happen the devs. have to be under MS's umbrella....are you following me so far.... And you know this because? Does it really matter.......it's all rumour according to some peoples here, they probably are the same peoples who think (still) that man never walked on the moon in 1969 probably because they were not a part of the mission....LMAO.gif

Does it really matter.......
Yes it does. You stated something as if it was a fact with no evidence to back it up. At least we have evidence that people went to the moon.

Brandon Filer

Yes it does. You stated something as if it was a fact with no evidence to back it up. At least we have evidence that people went to the moon.
Come on Brandon, you'r not a dumb kid, if one has some info (hypothetically cause everything is just a rumour remember) he should provide undeniable proof and rat on somebody just to satisfy your curiosity....if that's what you think... you'r not talking to the right man.

At MS Build 2011 conference a session was given on running XBox Live games on the Win 8 platform. Win 8 seems too far away for Flight (at least, if the FSX-vista fiasco timeline is representative). ISTM though that XBox of some sort is still the direction MS games needs to go. I don't see "Games for Windows" going anywhere. scott s..
According to Microsoft:
XInput is an API that allows applications to receive input from the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows..... XInput is now available for game development. This is the new input standard for both the Xbox 360 and Windows XP Service Pack 1 and above, and Windows Vista. The APIs are available through the DirectX SDK and the driver is available on Windows Update
http://msdn.microsof...v=vs.85%29.aspx Edit: FSX is XInput enabled according to Wikipedia.

XBox Live and Windows Live and Games for Windows are now "one and the same" as far as Microsoft is concerned. The only difference between XBox Live and Windows Live... the platform the application runs on. That's it.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

And by that you mean?As I said before, the dev. (some) are in the loop with MS this time, so what will be the best way for the dev. to sell their add-ons without loosing money to piracy (piracy is not bullet proof but peoples can be banned if cut cheating), that will also mean that MS will make more money if the devs. do not have their products pirated (% on each sales +) so for that to happen the devs. have to be under MS's umbrella....are you following me so far....
You keep saying this, but so far I've not become aware of any developer who's been "in the loop." Not. One. Developer.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.