Sign in to follow this  
Chris Catalano

KSAN - RWY 09 is this an FMC Frequency Error?

You need to update your AFCAD in MSFS.
How does one update the AFCAD? Do I need a special editor for this? And where would the actual file be that I need to update? I presume it is some sort of text file? Chris

Chris, I will look it up.One program by Lee Swordy is for FS9 only (free) .. another works for FS9 and FSX (payware). ****Airport Facilitator X (Flight One Software) For FS9 and FSX.http://www.flight1.c...p?product=afxv1 AFCAD Version 2.21 for FS2004 By Lee Swordy http://www.flightsim...iewfile/49.html

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

It's been 27 every single time I've been there in real life. That approach is pretty famous for "The Parking Garage" that you pass over on short final and for the long displaced threshold.
Hey Ryan, talking of displaced thresholds, why is it that, it's okay to use this for a departure, but not an arrival?

The high glide path required to miss the buildings puts the normal landing point further down the runway. If displaced threshold were placed further back toward approach end of 27 it would encourage/requrie a steeper descent to land after VDP. VDP coordinated with threshold placement to facilitate a "normal safe" landing at stable approach descent rate to 50 feet over threshold.

Which is more common 9 or 27?Whenever I have arrived (real world flights) from like JKF we always came in on 9!
Unless the winds are crazy (rare) for 27 or it's IMC weather, 27 will always be used at SAN. There is no ILS for 27 though so if you come in or leave during a marine layer day then you'll be using RWY09. It's one of those issues that I wish I could convince FSX ATC. It will use 09 if the winds aren't perfect for 27 but in reality, the winds will have to be pretty bad for them to switch to 09. And it's pretty rare in San Diego for winds to be coming from the east due to Santa Anna.

Unless the winds are crazy (rare) for 27 or it's IMC weather, 27 will always be used at SAN. There is no ILS for 27 though so if you come in or leave during a marine layer day then you'll be using RWY09. It's one of those issues that I wish I could convince FSX ATC. It will use 09 if the winds aren't perfect for 27 but in reality, the winds will have to be pretty bad for them to switch to 09. And it's pretty rare in San Diego for winds to be coming from the east due to Santa Anna.
In another later post I corrected my typo ...I typed 9 instead of 27. My time to edit the original error (post) had expired.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

You might try the free Airport Design Editor http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/ to change the frequency. File > Open Stock airport, KSAN, double click, go to Lists > Navaids, select ILS Runway 09, change the frequency. Save the airport for latter fiddling. Compile it to create a .bgl file. Copy that file into FSX\addon scenery or where ever you put such things. FSX should note the difference on startup if you use the addon scenery folder. Otherwise, you need to go into settings, scenery and give FSX a hint. I'm not sure how to change the heading to 93 ... I ought to read the manual some day! Richard

I run into this all of the time and just deal with it by using whatever FSX prefers, lol. I've never played with AFCAD...easy to do?
Yup. There's a KSAN AFCAD in the AVSIM library that changes the preferred runway to the (harder) 27 approaches. Essential for anyone who likes to sim into KSAN. I'm a San Diego ex-pat I think the last time I was on a plane that used RWY 9 was 20+ years ago. (really.) To change the AFCAD follow the instructions in the download folder. I had never done it before and it was easy.

Do you know where that file is? That'd be great. Having lived near SAN all my life, FSX is very annoying when it gives me RW09 on nice, sunny days.EDIT: This post is a demonstration on the importance of drinking more coffee before posting on forums. :)

You might try the free Airport Design Editor http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/ to change the frequency. File > Open Stock airport, KSAN, double click, go to Lists > Navaids, select ILS Runway 09, change the frequency. Save the airport for latter fiddling. Compile it to create a .bgl file. Copy that file into FSX\addon scenery or where ever you put such things. FSX should note the difference on startup if you use the addon scenery folder. Otherwise, you need to go into settings, scenery and give FSX a hint. I'm not sure how to change the heading to 93 ... I ought to read the manual some day! Richard
Hi: I installed the ADE and now it is asking me to set the path for the Shp2Vec Folder and the BGLComp folder. I don't even know what these are. Do you have any idea what and where these would be. It says it is supposed to be somehow related to my SKD (does that mean Scenery Design Kit??)? I am really confused because it says that the ADE will not work if these folder paths are not configured correctly... Am I supposed to install something called the SKD too? Thanks again, Chris Catalano

Hi: I installed the ADE and now it is asking me to set the path for the Shp2Vec Folder and the BGLComp folder. I don't even know what these are. Do you have any idea what and where these would be. It says it is supposed to be somehow related to my SKD (does that mean Scenery Design Kit??)? I am really confused because it says that the ADE will not work if these folder paths are not configured correctly... Am I supposed to install something called the SKD too? Thanks again, Chris Catalano
It's referring to the fsx sdk (software development kit). A quick search should find you a guide for installing it.

You need to have the FSX SDK software installed; that software is available on the FSX Disk 1 Deluxe or Gold or Acceleration packages. It's not included in Standard. For more information on the steps to go through to install the SDK and the necessary SP1/SP2 patches, see http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDK_Installation_%28FSX%29 . I wish I had mentioned all this when I posted, but I'd gone through this dance some time ago and had completely forgotten about it. Richard

You need to have the FSX SDK software installed; that software is available on the FSX Disk 1 Deluxe or Gold or Acceleration packages. It's not included in Standard. For more information on the steps to go through to install the SDK and the necessary SP1/SP2 patches, see http://www.fsdevelop...ation_%28FSX%29 . I wish I had mentioned all this when I posted, but I'd gone through this dance some time ago and had completely forgotten about it. Richard
Hi: Thanks for the info - I am POSITIVE I installed the gold edition including the acceleration pack with sp1 & 2, but where then would the Shp2Vec Folder and the BGLComp folder likely be given the fact that I know I installed the entire gold package? My route directory for FSX is simply C:\FSX. Thanks again, Chris

the SDK does not install when you do the usual install of FSX. You have to find the SDK directory on Disk 1 (as I recall, it's in the root directory of the dvd .. just poke about with Windows explorer), go into that directory and then execute setup. You can determine which rev of the software you have via the control panel > Programs if it wasn't made obvious during the install. Then consult the web site I mentioned before to determine which service packs you need, download them, and follow the instructions on that web page. Richard

UPDATE: KSAN AFCAD by Ray Smith Released Yesterday.This airport update was designed with the latest version of ADE (Airport Design Editor) and made only for the FSX default airport: The new terminal 2 extension now added, assigned parking with extra parking, taxiways and taxi signs updated, ILS09 frequency corrected to 111.55, extra fuel trucks, support vehicle roads rebuilt and many other improvements, airport views are from the roof of the control tower (when in tower view) please view the readme before installation http://library.avsim...ftp&DLID=162976