Sign in to follow this  
mf_blues

Just Purchased VFR Real Scenery from Just Flight

Initial thoughts. Horrible, scenery looks too flat no autogen except the odd tall building, resolution looks a bit ruff, FSX keeps pausing while flying so causes a jitter. To be fair I've only had a quick look but I fear my money would have been better spent on Aerosoft's london scenery which I found today, now that looks like what I would call addon scenery. Does anyone know if I could load the Aerosoft scenery on top of the VFR so called real scenery or would it just get cancelled out. I will be having another look at it all tonight as I bought the collection so maybe some of the rural scenery will look better, hopefully. Anyway, just thought I'd share my initial thoughts, hopefully things will get better. Cheers Mart.

I use Horizon myself but I would suggest you defrag after loading photoreal scenery .Horizon strongly suggest doing that. It may also apply to Just flight as they are the same sort of thing.

Check what the min requirements where against your machine. I use Horizon scenery and can clearly see the oak tree in my garden when I fly over, so it might be your settings and machine setup. Wycliffe

Thanks for the replies guys. My Machine. AMD X3 445 unlocked to Phenom X4 & OC to 3.57G4 Gig 1333mhz ramSaphire ATI Radeon 5770 1g ddr5 graphics. FSX running on seperate drive to OS Cheers Mart.

Check the following settings for use with Just Flight's VFR scenery, otherwise it will look ropey - as any photorealistic scenery will - since any PR scenery is a series of raster images made up of pixels, which are dependent on resolution, plus the capability of your PC and graphics settings you have selected to display any image: Level of Detail Radius – Large (drop this and it will still look okay, but you'll get stutters when you fly around)Mesh Complexity - 100 (you can get away with lowering this)Mesh Resolution - 10m (you can lower this, although it will affect some mapping)Texture Resolution - 1m (this is the really important one, but it's also the one that eats up RAM unfortunately)Land Detail Textures - ticked onWater Effects - High 1x or High 2x (you can drop this one if you like, which in fact I do) If you stick it on those settings, it looks fine (I can see my Land Rover parked on my drive in the Just Flight VFR scenery for example, and it looks about as clear as Google Earth does, where I can even just about make out McCartney, my cat, on my shed roof as a couple of pixels LOL), but you do need a fairly decent amount of RAM, both on your main board and your GPU to get away with that, since it is about loading in a large amount of image data. You can customise the autogen with that scenery, for example, I manually added the Earth Simulations UK Treescapes over it, and that looks good since it is essentially the same as the Horizon stuff which it was made for. I've also got lots of UK2000 scenery over that, including several individual airports such as Manchester and Liverpool, plus the UK airports smaller ones set (Vol 3 I think that one is). With regard to having scenery over JF's VFR scenery, you can stick any scenery over any other scenery in FSX (since it works in layers) so long as you place the layer priorities correctly in the scenery library. Some people have expressed a preference for the colours on the Horizon VFR scenery over the Just Flight stuff, but this is of course more down to personal perception than anything else, although having flown a lot over the UK, I personally think Just Flight's got it better myself, as their colours better reflect the inversion layer you get over the UK, which quite often mutes the colours, especially on slant range, since FSX never really handles that well without help, even with REX doing its thing. England might be a 'green and pleasant land' in the song, but it usually looks a bit more grey when you fly over it on the average day LOL. I also quite like the night textures look that the JF stuff gives you too, which is perhaps a bit on the bright side of realistic, but there you go, personal taste again. Realism aside, if you want a more 'endless summer' look to things in the daytime (nothing wrong with that of course, it's your sim), Horizon's scenery will probably give you that look better than JF's will. Incidentally, ProMesh for the UK improves things dramatically when combined with UK VFR scenery, so that's another thing worth looking at. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Horizons scenery already has a very good 5 metre terrain mesh included for England and Wales, Scotland isn't covered though.

Cheers, Andy.

I agree, I have justFlight and the Horizon scenery and there is no comparison. Horizon is so much better.

I share your grief having too made the mistake of buying Justfilights very poor low res scenery with green tinted washed out textures etc. It does look a lot better since I started using a LOD radius of 8.5 though, but still nowhere near as crisp and detailed as Horizon's Im afraid. I allso use the ENB mod which makes the textures a bit darker and provides a bit more contrast. Defragging and disk optimisation should help stop stutters. Turn off hyperthreading and use the affinitymask=14 setting to move FSX onto cores 1, 2 & 3 and leave core 0 free to run the O/S and background processes. I also hightly recommend that you try using the usepools=0 tweak as this moves a lot of the memory load onto the much faster DRAM IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Can you guys post a screenshot of what you are getting with this scenery? It looks okay on my computer, here's what I've got, this is just near Heathrow: 2011-9-16_19-24-51-372.jpg Al

Alan Bradbury

OK guys, I may have been a bit hasty. I've installed the complete collection, reduced FSX autogen and scenery settings to none and I must admit once you're above 2500ft things start to look pretty darn good, only problem is my airports have all disappeared. I reinstated Wolverhampton airport and moved it up the list and it looks really good against the photo scenery cus the guy who developed it as done a really good job, I think it was Alf somebody, must find out his name and give him proper credit for a job well done. Now I need to add some decent airports and I think the Aerosoft London VFR and I'll be one happy pilot, all be it only a virtual one. :() Couldn't find Promesh Al, did a search but the WEB links I found didn't work, have they changed their name or something? Anyway, thanks guys for your input. Cheers Mart.BTW Al What spec is you PC, I see you're getting 50 + FPS mines good at 30 but stutters if I go above that. Also reducing the scenery and autogen stopped the pausing I mentioned so that's good. Cheers Mart.

I don't think you are necessarily being hasty, Horizon stuff is often sharper, since it does seem to be less prone to 'the blurries' on many people's systems from what I can gather (I know a friend of mine returned JF's VFR scenery and got Horizon's instead), although JF's runs okay for me. The other issue, that of colours, is one where I contend that JF's look more realistic for an average day in the UK in spite of not being as vivid as the colours on the Horizon scenery, but that's a matter of taste as well. The product name is 'NEXTMap ProMesh UK' as I'm sure you found on searching, but I can't find it on sale either at the moment, I bought it from either FS Pilot Shop or Flight Sim Store, not sure which, but it was a good while ago. Maybe they are out of business. Decent UK airports can be had from UK2000 incidentally, well worth a look, in fact I'm reviewing their Liverpool Airport scenery at the moment for Avsim, they have some good 'multi packages' of smaller airports too, which offer a lot of bang for your bucks. Earth Simulations' Treescapes UK is worth throwing on top of the VFR scenery as well by the way, since it has accurately placed UK trees based off OS maps, so they match the photrealistic stuff and the pics of the trees on the textures then just look like their shadows. My PC spec, due for a RAM and GPU upgrade soon, but it does okay: sb.png Al

Alan Bradbury

Al It's obviously that i7 2600 that's doing it's job properly, they do seem to be the CPU of choice for FSX. I'm transferring my setup to a new case soon with better cooling so I may try and push the OC some more. Cheers Mart.

Mart, Aerosoft VFR London X scenery is a region of central London densely populated with buildings and trees, and it looks superb. However, it requires a very powerful PC to run smoothly at Extremely Dense settings. As for VFR Real Scenery, I suggest that you sell it on eBay, and get yourself the Horizon Generation X Version 3 scenery instead. VFR Real Scenery is too "green", and it lacks contrast. I made the mistake of buying that first (thinking it was the same as the Horizon scenery), so I know the difference. The Horizon scenery is definitely better, and the mesh resolution is twice that of VFR Real Scenery (5 metres instead of 10). Of course, you will not see any default autogen, because these are real world photographic textures. However, you can purchase Treescapes UK from Earth Simulations, and that will cover all of England and Wales (assuming you purchase all three volumes) with very realistic trees. I have this, and it makes a MASSIVE difference to the look and feel of photo scenery. By the way, VFR London X was made by Horizon, so it is perfectly compatible with the GenX3 photo scenery, and it comes with 60cm textures for the area covered.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Both horizon and JF work really well with Tree scapes UK. Add's some 3D to the scenery and is a nice cherry on top IMO.