Sign in to follow this  
Jacoba

MD-11 vs 747-400 which one is the better performer?

On a mid range system Core 2 Duo with 4 GB DDR2 RAM with an older ATI Radeon Card? I don't use add on scenery and a run my settings on the low side no add on WX program either, just the MSFS real time WX and default clouds. I'm interested in getting either one for my long haul trips, but I'd prefer the one that doesn't tax the system as much. Which one do ya'll recommend? Jacob Saanders

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I was able to run the 747 pretty smooth on a C2D E8400 machine with 4GB RAM and a 9800 GT. I had FTX Blue and WoAI, I think settings were quite low though. I think cos the MD-11 is newer it performs better though.

So you would say that both will run acceptably on older machines like my C2D but the MD11 would be better due to newer programming? I've always loved the trijets was sad to see both Delta and AAL retire them...

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

On a mid range system Core 2 Duo with 4 GB DDR2 RAM with an older ATI Radeon Card? I don't use add on scenery and a run my settings on the low side no add on WX program either, just the MSFS real time WX and default clouds. I'm interested in getting either one for my long haul trips, but I'd prefer the one that doesn't tax the system as much. Which one do ya'll recommend? Jacob Saanders
The performance of the PMDG MD11 is exceptional. You won't find an airliner with such a system depths and better performance. The Level D might be slightly smoother but the visual appearance and systems of the MD11 is a generation ahead. In my opinion it is the best you can get for FSX apart from the NGX.

I have a rather new computer and it runs the MD11 very nicely. As long as I'm not in a big airport on the ground I get smooth frame rates all the time. The 747 is another story and I can't even fly it, it's so bad on my system. Also, it looks old. The MD11 is beautiful in the VC whereas the 747 VC definitely shows its age. The exterior is very nice, though; maybe even more so than the MD11. The MD11 is probably my favorite plane -- not only is it a great simulation, it's also a well-designed cockpit that's a pleasure to operate. It makes me shudder when I look at the Boeing cockpits! :)

I purchased the MD-11 several weeks after the 747. After I flew the MD-11, the 747 went into the hangar and wondered why did I ever buy it. Right now I fly the MD-11 every other day on 10-13 hour flights between EDDF, EDDM, and EHAM and various airports on the U.S. west coast. I have the 737NGX which is an excellent simulation but the plane shows it 1960s' heritage in the unergonomic cockit with buttons and switches all over the place, an ILS which needs the freq and course set manually and presssuration which requires the landing and cruise altitudes to be set manually. You don't need to do any of this in the MD-11. Its all automatic. It will even do automactic step climbs if the FMC and MCP are set up correctly. Michael Cubine

What about complexity of both airplanes ?I've loved Concorde X and I'm looking for another deep experience. If a plane is too simple to fly, embedded FSX are the way to go from my point of view. Sure 747 is older but how complex are both ?Do you have any more args to compare both please ? Regards

Yes, the MD-11 is a bit more friendly than the 747. ;) "Sure 747 is older but how complex are both ?Do you have any more args to compare both please ?" On the 747, there are quite a few switches and butons that are INOP either because it's simulated on the captain's side or just because they couldn't simulate it at the time.The addon is very realistic whatsoever. Not absolutely, but very good. So yes, the MD-11 is more simulated than the 747, but just for the stuff that you won't normally use like GPWS test and things of the like. Enjoy!

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Apart from all the technical stuff you can even change the volume of the radios on the MD11(2D panel). You can't do that on the 737 NGX any more.im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

Specifically to the OP's question, I found that the 747 was more resource-hungry than the MD-11. I used to get the occasional OOM with the 747; never happens with the MD-11. Apart from the NGX, the MD-11 is a joy to fly (speaking of which, I need to do some flights in it before I forget it's specific procedures yet again, lol).

MD-11 all the way....there is no comparison! It looks much better than the 747-400 and it performs WAY better! This is such an awesome aircraft, you won´t regret buying it!

It is true the 747 is a bit older. It isn't as sharp graphically, at least in the VC but the flight model and systems still make it the best 747 out there, and its cheaper now...can pick the Aerosoft box version up on Amazon for about 30 bucks(MD-11 is about 50). Get both lol. The MD-11 is the better visual experience...systems wise it is simpler and easier to fly(more automated). But the 747 is a legendary aircraft and sometimes it you just have to fly it. Both will seem very easy compared to the Concorde lol

The PMDG MD-11 is an awsome aircraft and is significantly superior to the 747 which i never fly any more.I even think the MD-11 looks better than the NGX and it is certainly easier to fly.Just my opinion.