Sign in to follow this  
vt767

My New Toy for the NGX - a little advice please

Hi, just got my new toy and am in the process of setting it up and am looking for some advice and help from the excellent pool of experience PMDG flight simmers. Specs: Haf X 942, Win 7 Home premium 642600KAsus P8Z68Gtx 580Corsair H808GB Rip Jaws 1600ozvertix 120gb ssd2Tb 64mb cache My operating system is loaded on the SSD and i was wondering if I should install FSX on the same drive or load it separately on the 2TB additional drive. Also i will try following Nick N's setup tips, but was wondering should i Install Fsx and then tweak with Botjies tweaking tool before adding all my add ons? Finally i will be overclocking is it best to have all Fsx addons and Tweaks done before overclocking or to overclock then add everything? Thanks for your help any advice and tips would be welcomed. Have a great day everyone.

Installing on the SSD may help prevent a few stutters when it loads textures, but there's no actual performance gain. (if you do use the ssd, DON'T defrag it!)When you tweak won't matter much, but I tend to wait until all my addons are in place.Don't overclock till all the installations are finished. Especially since it's a new cpu & you dont know ahead of time what speeds are stable & what speeds only appear to be stable.

All I can say is go over the Simforums and follow the NickN tweak guide. Follow it step by step and you will be good to go. As said above, only do the defrag stuff on the regular drive and not the SSD. Happy flying!!! Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Hi thanks for the quick reply's and advice, appreciate it. Just wanted to confirm do i need to reboot pc after every Add on is Installed, ie Orbx & PMDG software? Cheers

A quick one..

• I don't think 120GB SSD will be sufficient enough to take OS + FSX (especially if you love sceneries)
  • If you plan to OC..make it now, before FSX. Ensure Hyper threading for 2600K is off, this will give you good temps for OC stability. Ensure OC'ed computer runs stable 24/7, then work for FSX. Avoid ASUS automatic OC tools, go for manual OC with Offset mode.
  • Get latest firmware from OCZ for your SSD before you do anything , otherwise OCZ might make you cry with CTD.. (The latest firmware version is: 2.11).
  • When installing FSX use the simforum's NickN guide at http://www.simforums...topic29041.html and later apply Bojote's automatic tweaking tool at http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html.
  • Install Sceneries one by one.. and restart FSX to ensure Scenery database is properly configured.
  • I would prefer to install NGX as last addon.

Thanks for the help, def gonna be a few days setting it all up again. Hope the new rig improves the sims performance overall. Praying.gif

Hi, just got my new toy and am in the process of setting it up and am looking for some advice and help from the excellent pool of experience PMDG flight simmers. Specs: Haf X 942, Win 7 Home premium 642600KAsus P8Z68Gtx 580Corsair H808GB Rip Jaws 1600ozvertix 120gb ssd2Tb 64mb cache My operating system is loaded on the SSD and i was wondering if I should install FSX on the same drive or load it separately on the 2TB additional drive. Also i will try following Nick N's setup tips, but was wondering should i Install Fsx and then tweak with Botjies tweaking tool before adding all my add ons? Finally i will be overclocking is it best to have all Fsx addons and Tweaks done before overclocking or to overclock then add everything? Thanks for your help any advice and tips would be welcomed. Have a great day everyone.
Try installing the OS on the regular HDD, and FS on the SSD. Wont have all the windows junk on your fastest drive then.