Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Weather Problems When Using ASE at Madiera

I have posted this over at HiFi Sim but thought I'd ask here in case anyone else has heard of this... When I use ASE for flights into Aerosoft's LPMA (madiera), the wind goes around in circles. Also tried with default LPMA, but the same happens.Tried it several days on the trot now but always, as I get down to around 2000ft or so, the wind direction starts rotating full clockwise circles, taking 3-4 seconds per 360* rotation, and just keeps going. Makes for VERY interesting approches I can tell you.Any ideas what might be going on or, anyone else experienced this?Thanks

I have posted this over at HiFi Sim but thought I'd ask here in case anyone else has heard of this... When I use ASE for flights into Aerosoft's LPMA (madiera), the wind goes around in circles. Also tried with default LPMA, but the same happens. Tried it several days on the trot now but always, as I get down to around 2000ft or so, the wind direction starts rotating full clockwise circles, taking 3-4 seconds per 360* rotation, and just keeps going. Makes for VERY interesting approches I can tell you. Any ideas what might be going on or, anyone else experienced this? Thanks
Yes, with releases before the 647 build I saw it a lot in Europe - the wind arrow spins like a top! Fortunately, the shifts were so fast that the plane wasn't seriously effected. I use registered FSUIPC with all wind smoothing on and limited changes but still saw the weirdness. It hasn't happened to me with the latest build release, although surface wind at KHRL today was showing an inclination to rotate around the complass, but winds outside station areas and at the suppression ceiling can still be a bit odd... I use the Standard depiction mode and Force Destination Wx Zone setting with a suppression range of 50 miles and ceiling of 2000 feet. DJ

I am using registered FSUIPC (wouldn't be without it) for wind smoothing. I only recently purchased ASE, so at build 647, I assume it's the latest release. It's such a pity, as I really like what ASE is doing so far and, I'm only just scatching the surface I think. I really hope there's a fix for this as, the visual approach at Madiera using the NGX is just awsome.

I'm not sure if it is the same problem I've had. I would not get complete 360-degree wind shifts, it was more like the wind rotating through 120 degrees within 3-4 seconds, then jumping back to the starting point and repeating. I've only ever seen it during approach. I've been using a combination of ASE's Direct Wind Control mode and FSUIPC wind smoothing for a while now, and I haven't seen this problem with that combination. Something to try, maybe.

I am using registered FSUIPC (wouldn't be without it) for wind smoothing. I only recently purchased ASE, so at build 647, I assume it's the latest release. It's such a pity, as I really like what ASE is doing so far and, I'm only just scatching the surface I think. I really hope there's a fix for this as, the visual approach at Madiera using the NGX is just awsome.
I quite like some of the new features in ASE, but this one annoyed me enough that I fell back to ASV6.5 for quite a while. I've recently started using ASE again and haven't had too many strange things happen so far. I think I mentioned this once in the HiFi forum but never got a satisfactory answer... at least to this point I've had no problems with winds aloft. DJ

Do you have thermals enabled in fsx, that will cause that issue. I think there is a thermls description in fsx folder, you can always rename it, That should cure the issue.

Do you have thermals enabled in fsx, that will cause that issue. I think there is a thermls description in fsx folder, you can always rename it, That should cure the issue.
That's an interesting thought and worth a try... Thanks,DJ

No. thermals are disabled. I will try the combination suggested though. Tom, do you experience any drawbacks to using Direct Control?

Tom, do you experience any drawbacks to using Direct Control?
Not really, works well here. (I don't use any ATC software, though, IIRC there may be some issues with DWC if you use something like Radar Contact or FSX' built-in ATC).

What does the METAR read when this happens? 360 degree turns are a bit too much for 'gusty' stuff, but nevertheless, the METAR would help. Find it on the Report page.

the wind direction starts rotating full clockwise circles, taking 3-4 seconds per 360* rotation
This shouldn't happen that fast when FSUIPC smooths out the wind changes.What wind smoothing setting are you running? You can define the seconds per degree or the degrees per second.Either way, those 3 to 4 seconds for 360 degrees is too fast when FSUIPC is really smoothing things there, so maybe check them again.

What does the METAR read when this happens? 360 degree turns are a bit too much for 'gusty' stuff, but nevertheless, the METAR would help. Find it on the Report page. This shouldn't happen that fast when FSUIPC smooths out the wind changes.What wind smoothing setting are you running? You can define the seconds per degree or the degrees per second.Either way, those 3 to 4 seconds for 360 degrees is too fast when FSUIPC is really smoothing things there, so maybe check them again.
Hi and thanks for the info Will check that out and report back here later...

I've had a problem with ASE wind shifts every time I use it with FSUIPC active. When I deactivate FSUIPC, the problem goes away.

Art

I've had a problem with ASE wind shifts every time I use it with FSUIPC active. When I deactivate FSUIPC, the problem goes away.
That would be a real bummer for me, as I also run other FS apps on the client PC that rely on FSWide & FSUIPC.

What does the METAR read when this happens? 360 degree turns are a bit too much for 'gusty' stuff, but nevertheless, the METAR would help. Find it on the Report page. This shouldn't happen that fast when FSUIPC smooths out the wind changes.What wind smoothing setting are you running? You can define the seconds per degree or the degrees per second.Either way, those 3 to 4 seconds for 360 degrees is too fast when FSUIPC is really smoothing things there, so maybe check them again.
I don't yet know enough about ASE to understand how this might identify the problem, but here it is...It only happens below about 2000ft