Sign in to follow this  

Apperently FSX needs the microsoft .net framework to run a lot of addons properly. When I was looking at the different versions of the framework, the newest version, 4.0, needs a lot higher system specs then the 3.5 version. Seeing that, im wondering if there is a big peformance difference between the 2. For most the addons that require the .net framework, they only require the 3.5 version. so what do you guys think? should I get the 3.5 version, or the 4.0 version? is there a peformance difference between them? I would rather get the newer one, 4.0, but if its ties up a lot more of the system then 3.5, ill stick with 3.5, becuase thats all that is nessary. But if they both run basicly the same then ill get version 4. So what is your experiences between the two? is 4.0 worth it?

Guest jahman

With .NET ist's not an either-or situation regarding versions. You need to install all the versions of .NET that are required by the add-ons (FSX itself doesn't require .NET). Cheers, - jahman.

With .NET ist's not an either-or situation regarding versions. You need to install all the versions of .NET that are required by the add-ons (FSX itself doesn't require .NET). Cheers, - jahman.
oh really? now this is why its still not working... lol ok im gonna get 3.5 now and it better well work.

Guest jahman

Yes, Microsoft reeleases new versions of ,NET with the name ".NET v.<OriginalVersion> SP <1, 2, 3, etc.>". If you use Windows Update you will always get the latest versions installed for you. Cheers, - jahman.

Guest firehawk44
You do not need all the versions of .NET. DotNET comes preinstalled with Windows 7 and is updated as needed. I have only one version installed on my system - DotNET 4 and I have most of the FTX PNW software installed. You do not need the 3.5 version too and installing it could totally mess up your DotNET 4 installation. Orbx requires the 3.5 version installed if you do not have any version installed. Vista and Windows XP did not automatically install DotNET so they are talking to those folks. Now, for software to properly work, including FSX/Acceleration, you also need Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables 2005 through 2008 x86 and x64 (for 64 bit systems). There are Microsoft updates to these programs too. These redistributables are required to run programs developed with Visual C++ (most of FSX). Most of the time the appropriate redistributable will be installed on your system by the software developer if you do not have it installed. Nick N. has posted in his infamous post on how to set up FSX and tune it, the requirement for these redistributables and especially the update to one of them. He has the links posted in the required redistributables. Best regards,Jim

Guest jahman
You do not need all the versions of .NET. DotNET comes preinstalled with Windows 7 and is updated as needed. I have only one version installed on my system - DotNET 4 and I have most of the FTX PNW software installed. You do not need the 3.5 version too and installing it could totally mess up your DotNET 4 installation. Orbx requires the 3.5 version installed if you do not have any version installed. Vista and Windows XP did not automatically install DotNET so they are talking to those folks. Now, for software to properly work, including FSX/Acceleration, you also need Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables 2005 through 2008 x86 and x64 (for 64 bit systems). There are Microsoft updates to these programs too. These redistributables are required to run programs developed with Visual C++ (most of FSX). Most of the time the appropriate redistributable will be installed on your system by the software developer if you do not have it installed. Nick N. has posted in his infamous post on how to set up FSX and tune it, the requirement for these redistributables and especially the update to one of them. He has the links posted in the required redistributables. Best regards,Jim
Please don't misquote me: I said "need to install all the versions of .NET that are required by the add-ons" and I certainly stand by this. Also I'll add: If an add-on requires .NET it will generally install it for you (as otherwise the add-on would not work) if not already on your PC, and once a particular version of .NET is on your PC, Windows Update will automatically keep updating that version. Cheers, - jahman.

Guest firehawk44
Please don't misquote me: I said "need to install all the versions of .NET that are required by the add-ons" and I certainly stand by this. Also I'll add: If an add-on requires .NET it will generally install it for you (as otherwise the add-on would not work) if not already on your PC, and once a particular version of .NET is on your PC, Windows Update will automatically keep updating that version. Cheers, - jahman.
I did not misquote you. Please show me where you have to install all versions of dotNET. And what addon or software installs the proper dotNET framework if not already on your computer? I know FTX states Version 3.5 is required but they do not install it with any of their software. This is insane advising us computer novices to install ALL versions of DotNET! DotNET Framework 4 is included in the Windows 7 OS. Perhaps this is the reason why you need to have uiautomationcore.dll in your main FSX folder and you consider FSX crashes as the "uiautomationcore.dll bug". The uiautomationcore.dll is part of the dotNET 4 Framework. You have probably overwritten DotNet 4 files or corrupted your system in some way. That's why I have no issues whatsoever not having the uiautomationcore.dll in my main FSX folder. I only have dotNET framework 4 installed (with all the updates since Windows 7 was released). You are correct in stating Microsoft updates DotNET through their Update program but ONLY DotNET 4. If anyone has Windows 7 and the dotNET 3.5 package installed (check the add/remove program), please uninstall it. You do NOT need it. That goes with previous OS's too. You only need dotNET 4. I would also like to correct my previous post where I stated you need Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables 2005 through 2008 installed too. I meant 2005 through 2010. Microsoft also has a Redistributable "package" you can install. I think the Microsoft Visuals are more important than the dotNET framework as people who have installed Windows 7 automatically have the dotNET but not all of the Redistributables. I apologize in advance if I have raised your dander. You have corrected me sometimes too and I appreciate that and all you have done to help others with FSX. Best regards,Jim

Guest jahman
I did not misquote you. Please show me where you have to install all versions of dotNET. And what addon or software installs the proper dotNET framework if not already on your computer? I know FTX states Version 3.5 is required but they do not install it with any of their software. This is insane advising us computer novices to install ALL versions of DotNET! DotNET Framework 4 is included in the Windows 7 OS. Perhaps this is the reason why you need to have uiautomationcore.dll in your main FSX folder and you consider FSX crashes as the "uiautomationcore.dll bug". The uiautomationcore.dll is part of the dotNET 4 Framework. You have probably overwritten DotNet 4 files or corrupted your system in some way. That's why I have no issues whatsoever not having the uiautomationcore.dll in my main FSX folder. I only have dotNET framework 4 installed (with all the updates since Windows 7 was released). You are correct in stating Microsoft updates DotNET through their Update program but ONLY DotNET 4. If anyone has Windows 7 and the dotNET 3.5 package installed (check the add/remove program), please uninstall it. You do NOT need it. That goes with previous OS's too. You only need dotNET 4. I would also like to correct my previous post where I stated you need Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables 2005 through 2008 installed too. I meant 2005 through 2010. Microsoft also has a Redistributable "package" you can install. I think the Microsoft Visuals are more important than the dotNET framework as people who have installed Windows 7 automatically have the dotNET but not all of the Redistributables. I apologize in advance if I have raised your dander. You have corrected me sometimes too and I appreciate that and all you have done to help others with FSX. Best regards,Jim
You keep misquoting me!
Please don't misquote me: I said "need to install all the versions of .NET that are required by the add-ons" and I certainly stand by this.
This means "if your add-on requires a particular version of .NET, install that version of .NET, and if your add-on doesn't need that version of .NET, then don't install that vwersion of .NET." How can anyone interpret this to mean "blindly install all versions of .NET"? I'll also repeat the following:
If an add-on requires .NET it will generally install it for you (as otherwise the add-on would not work) if not already on your PC, and once a particular version of .NET is on your PC, Windows Update will automatically keep updating that version.
Note that for an add-on to install .NET for you, the .NET install package need not be included with the add-on, merely a URL that can be triggered automatically if needed will be sufficient. MSVC++ redistributables (runtime) are also often included in add-on installs, and as you correctly state, you need the particular MSVC++ version (year) required by the add-on. Again, once installed, if Windows Update is enabled it will automatically update your MSVC++ runtimes. Cheers, - jahman.