I picked up a partial plane full of British passengers on vacation in Key West. Since the runway is so short (that takeoff is a story in itself), I had minimal fuel on board. My plan was to stop at KMIA, refuel, and pick up additional passengers returning to EGKK. In order to make the trip, I figured I needed to stop somewhere in the northeast to refuel again for the trip across the pond. I selected Bangor, Maine. Nice, long runway, good facilities, and a motel nearby for the passengers to get a good nights rest before the final leg of the trip in the morning. After takeoff from KMIA, I noticed the weather was nice, but I had a pretty stiff wind quartering from the port side. As the trip progressed northward, the wind swung around to the tail, and by the time I was over Virginia, I was making great time with a huge tailwind. Right before I began my descent, I saw ominous clouds building in front of me and began preparations for a bumpy ride down. It wasn't too bad until I turned final for runway 33. WHAM !! Those 70-80 knot tailwinds aren't so friendly when they are slamming you from the side. I had no idea what my airspeed was, the tape was bouncing off the gauge up and down. Soon after this screenshot, the autopilot disconnected and I knew my only hope was to hand fly this landing. I could hear the passengers crying and screaming from the cabin. Or it might have been the flight attendants. As usual, my First Officer offered absolutely no assistance. A mighty battle ensued with mother nature, but in the end I was able to touch down about halfway down the runway and safely land the plane. We're staying in Bangor an extra day, while engineers check out the landing gear.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Nice story, and some nice flying too by the sounds of it. Applause.gif Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I think you grossly exceeded the maximum crosswind component of the plane............ Bet it was fun though!!!
The maximum crosswind component of the 737 is increased to 400mph when Brits are on board, as part of the revenge for taxation without representation, since it is impossible to serve tea in those circumstances. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The maximum crosswind component of the 737 is increased to 400mph when Brits are on board, as part of the revenge for taxation without representation, since it is impossible to serve tea in those circumstances. Al
LOL... now that you mention it Al, the screaming had to be from the flight attendants, as the passengers, I'm sure. were stoically contemplating explaining their new suntans to fellow Londoners.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

LMAO Al, I love your sig. That is hilarious! I wonder how many people on here get that reference. One of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes. BTW great story Dennis.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."