Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Help needed with Hotas Warthog...(pleeeese)

I have just got round to installing my newly acquired Warthog. After all the excitement has died down, I am now faced with the task of configuring it. Sadly I am finding the target software virtually incomprehensible. I have spent about six hours trying to configure this thing. I have no problem with allocating buttons and switches via the standard FSX controller setup, but for some reason, the throttle not only affects the throttle but also the rudder! I have checked that there isn't a conflict assignment in FSX, I have even turned off the throttle in Target software, but it still operates as before, with the rudder being operated by the throttle!?I do not have FSUIPC, but to be honest it shouldn't have to be this darn difficult. If any of you guys can offer some advice I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks fellas...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

FSUIPC is the only way to go for me Howard... FSUIPC will capture the axis' before sending them to FSX allowing you to configure everything you could possibly want to, like using that second throttle for flaps, propeller pitch, etc. when using single throttled planes and then left and right throttle for planes with more than one engine. I used it with my Thrustmaster Cougar back in the day and still use it today with my CH gear. :) I know it's not the answer you want but it really is the best one.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Guest jahman

+1! Do all your hardware assignments and calibrations in FSUIPC. Cheers, - jahman.

Hiya Phil, sure, I know I should have FSUIPC, but I had the unregistered version and it was like trying to understand double Dutch!! In the meantime, have you any ideas as to why the throttle should be controlling the rudder?Mmm, unsure.png OK, maybe I'll download the full version tomorrow and spend another six hours....

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

It won't take you six hours Howard... :) See this kick-butt tutorial here: http://fsuipc.simfli...PC+TUTORIAL.pdf It's assuming you are using CH hardware, but substitute your own hardware for the CH hardware and you'll be up and flying in no time. I have no idea about the throttle axis controlling the rudder. Try changing which controller is selected in FSX when assigning the axis. Maybe Thrustmaster gave the second axis it's own DirectX Input Name?

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

It won't take you six hours Howard... :) See this kick-butt tutorial here: http://fsuipc.simfli...PC+TUTORIAL.pdf It's assuming you are using CH hardware, but substitute your own hardware for the CH hardware and you'll be up and flying in no time. I have no idea about the throttle axis controlling the rudder. Try changing which controller is selected in FSX when assigning the axis. Maybe Thrustmaster gave the second axis it's own DirectX Input Name?
Cheers matey, much appreciated. I've saved the document to my desktop. Tomorrow I'll get a copy of FSUIPC and see how I get on. Have a good weekend...

Howard

I also highly recommend FSUIPC. It is $10 (or $15, I don't remember), and it would be great addition to hardware worth $400+.

I have now got my hands on FSUIPC but cannot assign the throttle to the left throttle lever on the Warthog. Each time I try to make a reassignment it returns to the rudder axis? Also, the little mouse style button, in the middle on the front of the throttle, interferes with the ailerons and if I knock it accidentally the plane flies all over the place. Are these buttons actually able to be modified?

Howard

The nice thing about FSUIPC is that you can disable the controllers in FSX and use only FSUIPC to send axis and button commands. If you want to do it this way (recommended), then just uncheck the "Enable Controllers" option in FSX. 509Enable_Controllers.jpg When you are assigning the axis in FSUIPC, always press Rescan you make sure you are not setting up the wrong axis (1). Now move the axis and FSUIPC should capture that axis and only that axis, and you can verify by moving the axis and watching the values change. Once you have the axis recognized by FSUIPC, select if you want it to be sent directly to FSX or sent to FSUIPC Calibration (2). If you send it directly to FSX, you must assign the axis in FSX, if you had it sent to FSUIPC Calibration you can choose in the drop down box what you want the axis to be used for. Select to send it to FSUIPC Calibration and select "Throttle 2" in the drop-down box (3). 585Axis_Assign.jpg After setting this, go to the Joystick Calibration tab and select the right arrow until you see the Throttle Setup Page (1). Move the throttle all the way forward and select the right hand "Set" box (2) and then move the throttle all the way back and select the left "Set" box (2). If you do not plan on adding a reverse section (complicated with a detent!), then select "No Reverse Zone" (optional in orange). 722Joystick_Calibration.jpg To solve your ghost axis issue that is causing the plane to go haywire, you need to do these this: Either ensure that the "mouse" axis that is causing this is not assigned in FSX or disable controllers in FSX and make sure it isn't assigned in FSUIPC. The other option would be to use the Axis Assignment tab in FSUIPC, capture the "mouse" axis and then select "ignore axis" in FSUIPC. This will flag the axis as ignored. Just make sure that it is not assigned in FSX or you have your controllers disabled in FSX. Hope this helps Howard, let me know if you need more or better info! I hate to see a simmer suffer... sad.png

13.jpg

Hey Phil, you are a star man. That information is really appreciated, thanks a bunch. Not sure if I can get round to doing anymore work on the sim as it's getting later now and I'm packing to go out to Spain first thing in the morning. So although I'll be around the forums, I'm not going to be able to put any more time into FSX until next weekend when I return. I will let you know how I get on though. Thanks again for all your help Phil, cheers.

Howard

My pleasure Howard, enjoy your trip and be safe!

13.jpg

Hiya Phil, sorted our FSUIPC more or less a treat, although for some reason, I am unable to allocate some functions to some of the switches on the Warthog. I am still sorting it out, but you were right, it is a must-have bit of kit.

Howard

I too had this problem initially. What you need to do is assign the left throttle lever (disconnected from the right) to the LEFT Engine lever. This is not visable initially until you scroll down in the callibration window.

I too had this problem initially. What you need to do is assign the left throttle lever (disconnected from the right) to the LEFT Engine lever. This is not visable initially until you scroll down in the callibration window.
Sure, thanks for the info. I have Hoggy sorted now. I've been using it for some time and have it assigned through a combination of both FSUIPC and LINDA. Cheers...

Howard

For anyone else with the Warthog Throttle Z axis controlling rudders: Run FSX without Thrustmaster Target interface. Delete EVERY FSX 'Throttle - HOTAS Warthog' Joystick and Axis assignment except for Z-rotation-axis. Exit FSX to save your settings. Fixed. Always run Target Interface prior to booting FSX to prevent joystick-assignments reappearing.