Sign in to follow this  
toothjockey

Out of Memory error... FWIW

Today I had an out of memory error without even starting a flight. I am contributing it for what it's worth. I have never sent in a problem ticket. After getting several freezes, and out of memory errors, I thought I had my problems licked by eliminating the FPS limiter which I had been using. Several complete flights after starting fsx directly (after Rex 2 of course) without the limiter. Today I started Rex 2, started FSX with EZDok. Then I had some other chores to do and minimized FSX and went online and paid some bills and did some other surfing. An hour or so later I restored the FSX window and got the out of memory error. FSX was still in the opening screen. I had not selected an aircraft (although I have the PMDG 800WL as my default aircraft). The aircraft on the opening screen was a skeleton. I am posting jpgs of the error and my process and cpu usage for your evaluation. I have no clue about diagnosing any of these problems, but maybe those of you more gifted than myself can make some sense of it. You can see my system specs in my sig.Thanks, Don

Don Maxwell (toothjockey) San Diego, CA
Raptor Lake i9-13900K / ASUS ROG Strix Z790-F Gaming WiFi 6E LGA 1700 / Gigabyte Geforce RTX4090 Windforce 24GB /
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 / Corsair iCUE H150i Elite LCD 58.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler /
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 GT / Corsair 5000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower / Samsung 49" 4K / Windows 11 Home 64bit

is your fsx updated to SP2 ? cause i see u dont have acceleration pack.did u add "HIGHMEMFIX=1" to your fsx.cfg as per the introduction manual's instructions ? ps. your fsx is using quite a lot of memory for some reason, i have to say mine never even reached 3gb in the heaviest of sceneries.and is usually around the 2gb mark with the ngx and addon airports.

Don, I used to love taking service calls on overclocked PC's!Anyway, for all testing ... in your case it is now MSFS.Run just it (bare bones).Just a default aircraft.Standard PC setup ... standard clock.No extras .. no Wx program, no scenery, default MSFS files (no tweeked files), sliders far left .... see what I mean?Do flights.All this (above) is normally done after first installing MSFS .... to check only it out.If no problem(s) ... run a 3rd party aircraft.Then test again.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Thanks for the suggestions. yes...sp2, but no acceleration yes, although mine is himemfix=1 instead of highmemfix=1I've seen it both ways, and have no idea which one is correct. Straight Face.gif I built this system with SB specifically because it was designed to be overclocked. My system has been thoroughly tested and is completely stable except with FSX and NGX. Testing with bare bones won't exactly prove much either, as I have had many flights, with my setup exactly like it is now, without any freezes or memory problems. This time there wasn't even a flight!! I'm a little concerned that REX is the culprit eating away all the memory, although on the process chart fsx is almost at 3.5 GB. What I don't understand is why fsx is so high before loading any scenery areas or aircraft? Oh well... I am going to hope that sp1 will be the magic pill to cure all the ills. glad I'm not a programmer. Don

Raptor Lake i9-13900K / ASUS ROG Strix Z790-F Gaming WiFi 6E LGA 1700 / Gigabyte Geforce RTX4090 Windforce 24GB /
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 / Corsair iCUE H150i Elite LCD 58.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler /
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 GT / Corsair 5000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower / Samsung 49" 4K / Windows 11 Home 64bit

OOM's are caued by saturated VAS (Virtual address space) aka it reaches around 4GB How does the VAS get oversaturated? Too high of settings, custom cfg edits (LOD radius especially), third party addon scenery/planes (none of these by themselves, but a combination of all) Go here and download Process Explorer:http://technet.micro...ernals/bb896653 Set it up to show "Virtual Size," and then subtract what your video card is using for memory from about 4GB... For instance, I run the NGX with custom LOD radius of 6.5 in Orbx areas... I'll get a OOM all the time when FSX reaches about 3.8GB virtual size. I figure my GPU is using about 200-300MB of mem. I can verify it but haven't downloaded the tool lately. 1) So, lower your settings (I know, I hated it too at first, but you gotta do what you gotta do)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

yes, although mine is himemfix=1 instead of highmemfix=1
thats your problem. its HIGHMEMFIX.change that, and u should also clear ur shader cache after doing so.click start -> Run (win key + r), type "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\FSX\" (without the quotes) and delete the folders there.fsx will rebuild it next time taking highmemfix under consideration.

Ryan,Why will lowering my settings help when I got this error on the opening fsx screen? I never even got to the settings page. I have run several flights without a problem with my current settings. Other person with no name,Thanks for the suggestions about highmemfix. You can understand my reason for caution in accepting advice from a source with unknown qualifications and not even signing your post. Does anyone else here agree with his suggestion?

if u would to redownload the installer and recheck the introduction document u will see HIMEMFIX was a typo and they fixed it since.anyhow suits yourself, just trying to help. u can take it or leave it. that "sign you name" line is getting pretty old, this isnt russia and we are not communists.

if u would to redownload the installer and recheck the introduction document u will see HIMEMFIX was a typo and they fixed it since.anyhow suits yourself, just trying to help. u can take it or leave it. that "sign you name" line is getting pretty old, this isnt russia and we are not communists.
Hello anonymous,Not Russia true, but it is a forum rule. For everyone. Top portion of screenshot. Also for Don,Bottom portion of screenshot, just for info.And Don said in original post "Then I had some other chores to do and minimized FSX and went online and paid some bills and did some other surfing. An hour or so later I restored the FSX window and got the out of memory error." Could "surfing the internet" cause a conflict with MSFS? Do you think?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Don, A lot people don't realize this but FSX actually loads the default flight and aircraft in the background when you load the sim, even if you're still on the free flight screen. You can see this by waiting a minute and then pressing Fly Now, it'll immediately go into the sim without a load progress bar. There is a way to disable this, (DisablePreload=1 in the [Main] section of fsx.cfg) but it can causes issues with a lot of complex addons when you do it (I know the J41 gets messed up by it, not entirely sure on the NGX) I noticed your default flight is KSEA - do you have the Orbx PNW Scenery by chance? If so you're likely just slamming the system with a ton of stuff right there at the start and it can't handle it. Remember, a "Normal" autogen setting in their sceneries is far more objects being put into the world (especially in a city like Seattle) than maxed out FSX default scenery by a pretty huge amount. Autogen, AI traffic, weather - those are the big upward VAS drivers in the sim.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I noticed your default flight is KSEA - do you have the Orbx PNW Scenery by chance? If so you're likely just slamming the system with a ton of stuff right there at the start and it can't handle it. Remember, a "Normal" autogen setting in their sceneries is far more objects being put into the world (especially in a city like Seattle) than maxed out FSX default scenery by a pretty huge amount. Autogen, AI traffic, weather - those are the big upward VAS drivers in the sim.
Great post. People don't realize how much SEA area pounds on VAS usage when using Orbx. I almost always get a CTD OOM or G3D.dll if I fly somewhere else, outside of orbxland, then load a flight at ksea area or pdx area. I have to be careful and first lower to my custom "crazylow.cfg" setting hehe. Oh btw, Ryan I use disablepreload=1 and with the NGX I haven't had any issues with that.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

thats your problem. its HIGHMEMFIX.change that, and u should also clear ur shader cache after doing so.click start -> Run (win key + r), type "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\FSX\" (without the quotes) and delete the folders there.fsx will rebuild it next time taking highmemfix under consideration.
For what's it worth, I will confirm that deleteing these COMPILED shader files, ( when FSX is NOT running) will not TRASH you FSX.If FSX finds them missing, it will re-compile them, the next time you run FSX. BTW: %LocalAppData% only works for Vista and later. If you are running XP, it does not know about %LocalAppData" see http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/add-localappdata-environment-variable-in-windows-xp/ For XP, browse to C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\

What people forget is that FSX needs 1GB CONTIGUOUS space in the VAS,
Where did that come from ?