Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Reno Air Race accident

Just saw this on the news (TV) came here right away, terrible terrible news and my thoughts with the victims, I am glad PMDG staff are ok.

Saw it on the news, a real tradgedy indeed.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Thanks Ryan. Am in London and was about to send RR an email asking for stat. Good to hear they were not in the box seats.

Yeah got the alert on my phune yesterday and totaly forgot the PMDG crew was there. Pretty horrfic crash. Thoughts and prayers with all involved.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

There's a high res photo this morning that clearly shows the left elevator trim tab completely missing from the airplane during the incident... apparently the same kind of thing happened to another P-51 at high speed and it resulted in an uncommanded 10G pitchup and blackout, which the pilot in that case awoke from at 9000 feet and was able to recover. RSR knew Jimmy Leeward quite well for the past 12 years and the race team's taking this pretty hard...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Yup, I'd heard it was seven, now you say it's nine dead? It's just awful, and sadly it's not the only airshow crash this weekend either, a T-28 Trojan crashed at a show in Martinsburg on Saturday too. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I'd bet other p-51 pilots start paying close attention to those trim tabs during periodic inspections. Probably not something you could spot a problem with ona preflight

Man that video gives me chills, the sound of that thing hitting the ground; I'v never heard anything like that before in my life.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Guest Cag40Navy

Someone i knew died while sitting in the box. It was bad. Non the less, i talked to a guy me and the crew know. He was up watching the race from a Pitts in which he saw the P-51 do a couple of quick shakes then the trim tab went. The plane then did a very quick an unexpected 12G-14G pitch up in which the pilot went to G-LOC. The P-51 then stalled in which it headed for the ground but just before it was coming back up to air speed. The pilot was in G-LOC for the whole ride to the end. Very bad day indeed for Reno.