Sign in to follow this  
Guest JustanotherPilot

Paintkit Tail night textures PSD file

Guest JustanotherPilot

Should there be a psd night texture file in the 737NGX paintkit. I notice that there is a .dds tail night texture file in the aircraft texture folder. When I repaint an aircraft the whole tail lights up instead of soft lighting over a small area. I tried using this the tail_lighting .dds from one of these folders but it didn't work. Any suggestions?

I had the same problem, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it by the book, but I found a solution:

• Open up the tail pds in adobe photoshop
  • At Top-right, click channels
  • click on the alpha layer
  • select all and copy
  • Open new psd (empty)
  • paste
  • save as, for example, ngx alpha, as a bmp
  • *open up tail pds in dxtbmp
  • on the right top, there's a white square, at left-bottom of the square, there's a icon of a file(it's labeled import alpha layer) click it
  • navigate to your ngx alpha bmp
  • click select
  • save as dds dxt5

Done!Once you've saved the alpha layers, you don't have to do all these steps again; you can start with*

Thanks Marijn - seems like a good way of doing it, I'm glad I wasn't the only one experiencing the same problem

Couldn't get it to work - after I select the alpha channel, do I merge and flatten layers on the tail .psd before copying to the new "ngx alpha" file

no after you select the alpha channel, you press, ctrl+a, then crtl+c, ctrl+n, ctrl+v. Then save as a bmp(the new file you just created)open up dxtbmp, and drag tail psd into the dxtmbp window.Follow the steps in my previous post from

• on the right top, there's a white square, at left-bottom of the square, there's a icon of a file(it's labeled import alpha layer) click it

and onwards

I just can't get it to work, the whole of the tail still lights up, guess I'll have to do all my realistic flying during the day, thanks for your help though Marijn. It would be nice if PMDG had included a night .psd tail along with the others.