Sign in to follow this  
VOZzer

Dual ILS Frequencies - Help!

Hi everyone, I am having severe issues with almost every runway that has the same ILS frequency on both sides. For example, at Gatwick, EGKK, the frequency is 110.90 on both sides. No matter what, I can ONLY ever get an ILS signal for 08R. Tuning 110.90 and CRS 260 for ILS26R will only result in the aircraft attempting to follow the ILS for 08R. This also happens at Heathrow EGLL. In other words, I can only get "one side of the ILS". I can confirm this because the ILS identifier is the same on both sides. After some Google searches, scenery seemed to be the issue. I had UK2000 Extreme Demo running at Gatwick, so I disabled that, and UTX, GEX, VFR Real Scenery... And so on, until I had disabled everything. No luck. In fact, I even recall having this issue before I installed half of the above scenery add-ons. Any help would be good. Cheers, VOZzer

Those 'same' ILS frequencies are by design and reflect the rw setup at the mentioned airports.The Course setting shouldn't matter much since the ILS system only reacts to that beam and it's set up focus, not on the desired Course from the pilot, so it behaves differently to e. g. tracking a VOR radial. Can you post a screenshot with your plane coming in from the East at EGLL, having tuned 109.50 or 110.30 and looking for a landing spot on 27L or R?The identifiers for the 27 runways ILS differ to those for the 09 ones, but the frequencies do not. As said, that's by design.

Those 'same' ILS frequencies are by design and reflect the rw setup at the mentioned airports.The Course setting shouldn't matter much since the ILS system only reacts to that beam and it's set up focus, not on the desired Course from the pilot, so it behaves differently to e. g. tracking a VOR radial. Can you post a screenshot with your plane coming in from the East at EGLL, having tuned 109.50 or 110.30 and looking for a landing spot on 27L or R?The identifiers for the 27 runways ILS differ to those for the 09 ones, but the frequencies do not. As said, that's by design.
Hiya CoolP, As I said, I know exactly how the RW ILS dual-frequencies work. I'm simply saying that no matter what, I can ONLY get a signal on ONE side of the ILS, no matter what. This makes landing on 27L quite difficult in IMC conditions. I'll prepare a screenshot...Cheers, VOZzer

Oops, sorry, than I was running in the wrong direction. mellow.pngHowever, what airports are you using there at e. g. EGLL or Gatwick? Maybe I can run a small test flight. Default or UK2000? And which side is the one where you get a signal?

I can only get a singnal on 08R: ILS-3.jpg The view from 27L is the same, but the only the Localiser ILS Magenta indicator appears. Also, the indicator that appears is for 08R, not 27L. I can summarise it like this: Landing 08R - Full ILS (Glideslope 08R + Localiser 08R) Landing 27L - Localiser Only (Localiser 08R) In other words, I can only ever get the signal for 08R. When I land on 27L, it only picks up half the signal for 08R. Cheers, VOZzer

You mean 09R I think. And that's UK2000 EGLL, correct? I can test it later.Or are you at Gatwick, they have the 08R, but also a 26L then. Yeah, I think you are running Gatwick there, I will test it.

Yeah it's UK2000 Gatwick. As I said though, it happened before I installed it too, so I doubt it's the scenery.

I've flown both sides now and took some shots. Notice the working LOC and GS display at both sides and also note the changed identifier, IWW (26L) and IGG (08R) at UK2000 Gatwick Extreme V3. 08rj.th.jpg26ld.th.jpg I could think of either a scenery file missing or not being current at your end or that something with the frequency tuning (which comes from Navigraph data and may not fit the scenery) is mixed up on the Level D.Can you try a default plane at the same spot to rule out the frequency/Navigraph stuff?

Hi CoolP, I get this problem all all ILS instrument equipped aircraft. It cannot just be the Level-D. Which files should I be looking at here?

Well, if your EGKK installation is current, there should be an ILS display from both directions, as seen on my screenshots. Therefore, the first step would be to check if there's an update available for you.Maybe you have to reinstall EGKK to avoid missing files. You may check the bgl file defining the airport (and frequencies) with a freeware scenery editor to see if the beams and courses are present. If so, something else must trigger the loss from the one direction. This could be another conflicting airport file for example. Just guessing though.The FSX map shows you the freqs from the priority scenery files. Maybe this also helps on finding a culprit. If you can't see the freqs and beams, it's be easy to edit the bgl with some additional ones and save it in an active scenery folder. On next FSX start, you should get the ILS display.

Hiya CoolP, I have ADE, could you give me a quick guide on what to do? I have never really used it. What should I be looking for?

Sorry, no ADE experience here, but the sheer process should be the same among all the scenery editors, at least the basic ones.Find the file that defines EGKK, make a backup. Open it in ADE, look for the displayed navaids or landing aids. If you see the ILS being defined in both directions (which means LOC + GS), the scenery is ok. You can check this if you start FSX and get the airport info on the map. It should show both ILS runways.Now, if you see that your scenery lacks of the one direction, add and place an ILS for it. That's were the ADE manual has to help you, but I think there will be some sort of pre-set dialogue to guide the users to a standard ILS setup.Save the file in an active folder and test again. Here's a thread from guys being more competent on this. http://www.fsdevelop...ead.php?t=20809You could also use some freeware EGKK for testing.

Right, I can confirm that both 26L and 08R ILSs are present. Not only that, but they also have seperate identifiers and are correctly aligned with the runway. Clearly, it's not a file missing issue. The ILSs are definitely there. I absolutely cannot think what else is causing this issue.

Sorry, I can't either. Lets see if some other fellows have an idea for testing. unsure.png

VOZzer, this is a bug in FSX that for some reason affects a few people, but does not affect most. When I ILS land on a dual runway that shares the ILS freq I can only pick up the glide slope on one of the runways, not both. I pick up the ILS, I just can not pick up the glide slope. When you set your CRS for 260 you are setting up for that glide slope, but you are picking up the glide slope for CRS 80. I read someplace last year that it might be an addon interfering, but I never felt like taking the time to disable all my addons one by one to see if it fixed the problem since all the addons I have I am not going to remove just to fix this. As an example this happens to me on all four runways at KLAX. When I run into it I just go for a manual landing, this way I keep in practice.