Sign in to follow this  
curt1

FPS - Good and Bad

I really love the quality of the NGX, easily the best addon in FSX, IMO. Having said that, I have to be so selective in where I fly because of fps issues. I get good frames in 2D, exterior views and wingviews; the bad frames are in the VC where I spend 99% of my time. They're acceptable in the air, but getting near any of the quality addon airports, and the best I can muster is 9-14 fps. I enjoy a better 19-22 fps in the J41, so I'm disappointed that the hype regarding the NGX performance didn't come through. Ryan, there was a discussion awhile back about a reduced size texture package, is that still in the works? Any other fps enhancements that may be included in SP1?

Just wondering what your pc specs are?

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

James, my specs are a Q9300, 4 gigs of RAM, and a GTS250 video card. I know it's over 3 years old, but my computer serves me well with all my addons (except the NGX), so buying a new computer isn't in my immediate plans. I'm really hoping that PMDG can optimize it further, and would like to hear something positive from the developers on this.

you can be an ngx bush pilot like me haha. at first i was disappointed i would not be able to fly into major hubs like lax or kden etc. but then i realized how many awesome little 5000' strips there are dotted across the world just begging for an ngx to skillfully land on them. i got a nice bbj livery and just pretend to fly 12 extremely rich and powerful figures to odd destinations across the globe. im having more fun with this than i did a VA. although i wish i could get flights assigned to me. for weak systems the ngx still kicks a** you just have to know where to take her.

I was getting about the same fps on my e8400 rig with only 2g of ram and I was using a lot of addons. Not sure If you are running things like UT2, REX, GEX etc along with your airports or what kind of settings the sliders are at but maybe you could drop a few and see what you get. Of course the other thing you could consider is an overclock but my personal rule with that is dont do it unless your in a position to replace your hardware anyway because although I think its mostly easier these days things do still go wrong. There are many little tweaks out there you could try but I have found myself trapped in a never ending tweakng cycle over the years. Desperately seeking a little more and never actually doing any flying. One day I realised that I was just suffering from FPS greed and decided to sacrifice a little to gan a lot. Once I was in the position to upgrade I did. I suggest you try the same. It will save you endless hours tweaking and save you many more learning the systems on the ngx. Eye candy is nice but really not so important with this bird. All the best

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2