Sign in to follow this  
THRUSTER57

NOW THAT,S AN ENGINE.....

That's not a engine... IT'S A TRAP!!!!11!!!one!!!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

What is the purpose of the FIN, on the engine ? ( at about 2 O'Clock , looking from the front )

What is the purpose of the FIN, on the engine ? ( at about 2 O'Clock , looking from the front )
Coz' the engines so heavy, that's a little wing to help give it lift...... tongue.png

Coz' the engines so heavy, that's a little wing to help give it lift...... tongue.png
Ahh, I see, so if it breaks off the wing, it is SO POWERFULL, it only needs a "little wing" to allow it to keep flying !!

That's called a 'strake', they steer the airflow, usually when it has been found that the form of the engine nacelle is detrimental to the drag or pressure, or is causing turbulence. They are sometimes added to reduce airflow noise too, you can see tiny ones below the windows of an NG that reduce the airflow noise over the windscreen, although very small ones are usually called 'turbulators' especially if they are designed to break up the airflow instead of smoothing it out, as in the case of strakes. In the case of the 737NG, and a few other aircraft that have strakes on the engine, that strake actually redirects the airflow aft in a slightly different direction than it would otherwise go because it was found that without it, the stall speed reduction with the flaps down was not as effective as it should have been, in other words, that strake directs the air more efficiently toward the underside of the wing. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

That's called a 'strake', they steer the airflow, usually when it has been found that the form of the engine nacelle is detrimental to the drag or pressure, or is causing turbulence. They are sometimes added to reduce airflow noise too, you can see tiny ones below the windows of an NG that reduce the airflow noise over the windscreen, although very small ones are usually called 'turbulators' especially if they are designed to break up the airflow instead of smoothing it out, as in the case of strakes. In the case of the 737NG, and a few other aircraft that have strakes on the engine, that strake actually redirects the airflow aft in a slightly different direction than it would otherwise go because it was found that without it, the stall speed reduction with the flaps down was not as effective as it should have been, in other words, that strake directs the air more efficiently toward the underside of the wing. Al
Thanks Al Amazing that such a little Air foil surface can make such a significant difference,to be worth adding. !! .

Here's some more info, routed out of one of my books. Apparently Boeing used to refer to these as 'nacelle chines' because Douglas held the patent on nacelle strakes, even though it was Nasa that did most of the research into them. This is evidently why the 737 and other Boeing aircraft had a strake only on one side of the engine, since the Douglas patent was for one on either side of the engine nacelle, although of course this is now a moot point, since Boeing will presumably hold those patents these days. They reduce the stall speed by about 5 knots at high angles of attack on approach in their effect of sorting out the airflow to the inboard flaps, which as you say, is amazing for such a tiny thing that is little more than a metal plate stuck on at a bit of an angle. A small correction too by the way to what I previously posted, most of their effect is apparently to the airflow going over the wing, rather than under it. Al

Alan Bradbury

These engines above? they are just mere toys compared to these

If you turn the volume up to max your house will probably collapse!!vololiberista

How did I know that was going to be a VC-10? Al

Alan Bradbury

These engines above? they are just mere toys compared to these
If you turn the volume up to max your house will probably collapse!!vololiberista
UGH! Brings back memories of 737-100/200, 727's, DC-9's. Don't get me wrong, I loved these aircraft, but I went to College for 4 years next to Laguradia and constantly heard that awful noise during classes.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."