Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Taxi light operation

Having been blasted by a few of the light retrofits (HIDs in lights now), I know it's bright and a pain in the butt, but it's not too bad. Most crews get the idea when you throw on sunglasses at 10PM. In the day time, you just run up and say something sarcastic like, "checklists much?"
LOL, thanks, great read. What are HIDs though? And does anyone know what wattage the NGs or any other common landing and taxi lights have? I believe the taxies have 250W, but I wonder about the landings, at night they seem really bright even when NOT staring at them straight and still a considerable distance away. They sure are powerful but I'm curious about some numbers. sig.gif

The landing lights are either 450 or 600 watt. and ~ 5000 or 7000 or so lumens respectively category: HALOGENvolt: 28amp: 16.1watt: 450base: Screw Terminalsglass: PAR46filament: C6fil.res.: 1.74 ohmm.o.l.: 4.12 inch (104MM)i.lumens: 3900000cp: 310000d.hours: 50notes:aircraft lampba:15x9landing lamp

I am almost certain that most airlines in the EU and in Southern Africa all have landing lights on passing below 10 000 ft and off climbing above.Exactly when they come on though can differ slightly - some airlines SOP is Landing lights on when entering the active runway ( position and hold/line up and wait call from the tower) and some have them off until they have their departure clearance to indicate that they are rolling.Strobes should be on when entering the runway so to improve your visibility and generally remain on throughout the flight until exiting the active, unless flying in cloud where they can become a nuisance by reflecting off the cloud and causing an unnecessary distraction on the flightdeck.

Anthony Milner

That's the funniest! Evidently there are differences. It's an eye opener for me too. I would of thought there would be a standardized procedure for light use at the regional level at least. Huh, go figure :) EMV - anti cols aren't put on to signify flight control movement for us. They are only ever put on to signify that the aircraft is underway and or an engine/s is about to run or is running. Allot of vehicles move around the airport, and the drivers of those vehicles are on a constant lookout for anti cols so as to maintain clearance between themselves and the aircraft. Vehicles at Sydney airport mustn't drive behind aircraft with anti-cols on at any time. You can see how things can become problematic if you put anti cols on just for flight control movement (major traffic jams, I've seen it). For the record, our flight crew contact the engineer for hydraulic pressurization clearance prior to departure, at which time the engineer will ensure flight control surfaces are clear of obstruction, then give clearance to the flight crew. So the procedure outlined above still rings true... at Aussie ports anyway. Out of curiosity EMV, does a carrier use the procedure you outlined for anti col lt usage? Interested to know in the event I fly the thing in your country/livery/carrier of choice. Cheers,Ash Frew.
Yeah I know for a fact that for at least two very very reputable airlines this a practical anti collision ON/OFF general rule (stress on practical and not legal) which also coincides with movement start/stop . As far as strict legal requirements go, not my department. Hence, transferring here hearsay, albeit, from very reliable authority. Makes sense in a a practical manner too, no ?

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

My recollection of the FARs is somewhat shaky in terms of light application, but essentially, I understand the only requirements as follows (in loose terms): In the day, you must illuminate an anticollision light. At night, you must illuminate position lights and an anticollision light. That's all that's required. The rest of the lights have no regulatory requirements, in terms of when they are to be on or off. Different SOPs may have slight variation, but you can definitely see general trends. The beacon has taken on a secondary meaning of a warning that aircraft should not be touched or approached by ground personnel. Many airlines train ground personnel not to approach the aircraft until the beacon is turned off, as the engines may still be running.

Kyle Rodgers

One thing I heard a while ago, I cant remember which company it was, but they turned on the nose lights on the ground after they got cleared to taxi, and then turned them off again when holding short somewhere (holding point for the departure or holding short of an intersection etc.)

I've been on both sides of taxiig tot he gate with the taxi light on. Coming in, ervything is nice an illuminated and you have the confidence of seeing that equipment and people aren't in the way. (Chocks are a different matter!) Marshalling in, the lights can be blinding and you can lose sight of the taxi line at night. At one time, the unofficial rule was you stopped that plane. If the crew did not get the hint, then you called company ramp ops. (for the record this seldom happened)

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Also just a quick tip: Ramp crews will love you if you turn your taxi light off before turning into the gate at night. It's pretty bright from down on the ground. Nate
Very true. I am a rampie for jetBlue and the crew always turns the taxi light off as they are approaching the gate.

My recollection of the FARs is somewhat shaky in terms of light application, but essentially, I understand the only requirements as follows (in loose terms): In the day, you must illuminate an anticollision light. At night, you must illuminate position lights and an anticollision light. That's all that's required. The rest of the lights have no regulatory requirements, in terms of when they are to be on or off.
While I don't have any official reference and I doubt I have ever seen one, this is exactly what I would think how things work, at the most basic level. This is what a great number of small planes have, and what you describe is exactly how it's used. Cessna 152 day: beacon, at night plus the navs. Landing light is totally optional. sig.gif