Sign in to follow this  
Peter de Bruin

AT speed after take off

Peter, what exactly is your goal? You seem to be doing so many things on the MCP, that you're just causing problems. I'm not sure if you're talking about deselecting SPEED or if you are talking about using SPEED INT, two different things. If you want to hand fly, you can eitherFly with A/T on or;Fly with A/T off VNAV is easy. There's generally no need to be deselecting speed, unless you're monkeying around in the ARM mode. And I wouldn't suggest that. What SID are you using?

Did you try pressing SPD INTV button first. That should make ASI display active and from then you can adjust speed using SPD button. I have not tried this while still in TKOF mode but it works once you are in N1 climb. I honestly can't remember if there is a minimum altitude that is required for this to work. I usually preset Vnav before takeoff and it will keep my ASI display blank. If I try to press SPD button at this point nothing happens. Once I press SPD INTV button, however, I am able to set my own speed in the ASI and if I have AP engaged then it will adjust my pitch to maintain that ASI. I can only assume that it will work for you the same way even if you don't have Vnav activated but I think you will have to be out of TKOF mode and into N1 climb mode before it will respond. Now if you adjust the speed setting in ASI while in N1 climbout the aircraft will not reduce the power setting, it will instead command a higher pitch ( or automatically pitch up if AP is engaged ) to maintain whatever speed you have input. If you try to reduce the pitch manually or using VSI without first setting a speed in the ASI (SPD INTV then ASI as I explained) it will cause an overspeed as the power setting will remain at N1 unless you manually reduce it at the same time as you reduce climb rate.
One thing I haven't read is whether or not you're selecting the ALT you want in the MCP. If the jet doesn't know you want to stop at 4,000ft, then it's not going to go in to ALT AQ and ALT HLD.

Matt Cee

As suggested changed the Setting AT override from "NEVER" to “Hold/Arm” and did the take-off as described earlier. It didn’t make any difference – I am able to move the levers back to say 60 percent indicated by a blue line at the 4000 ft level off height but AT remains activated at N1. Also pressing the Speed knob, it doesn’t become engaged. The N1 light remains ON and we fly way out of speed limits soon if I do not flick the AT switch to OFF and take over trust by hand. Engaging AT into speed mode with speed bug at 220 is still impossible although we fly at a certain moment 220 at 4000 by hand !
As I mentioned in my first post, you need to select a vertical mode. Hold/Arm override will only allow you to override when the FMA shows "HOLD" or "ARM". This is realistic as in the real aircraft, it is unlikely that you would try to fight the autothrottle servos.

What is the idea you ask about flying the SID /EDDM 08R - Tulsi this way ( LNAV/VNAV and CMD = OFF ) Answer is to be relieved from the speed task. It gives me the freedom to do the turns and height differences fully concentrated while the aircraft remains at a requested speed. And above all in turns I would like to have some extra power when raising the nose due to loss of lift and get this without failure if AT at MCP commanded speed is engaged .. at least this is how it worked in the other Boeings like Level-D and the PMDG737-700 (fs9). For now I have my hands full in manoeuvring within the given boundaries of a SID or STAR and also to get a good feeling of the behaviour of this new bird before stepping into a more complex environments, trust you understand my point.And why not having then Vnav engaged without the CMD engaged has been asked. Well, I would like to do one step at the time as I do not understand the way PMDG implemented VNAV in this plane. It seems although CMD is OFF the speed and heights are taken from the FMC and the aircraft is acting upon those parameters through the AT trust... ! ( While VNAV/LNAV and CMD are OFF ! ) Not the way I use to in Level-D and earlier 737-600/700 from PMDG. With those aircrafts I got LNAV/VNAV indications in the PFD which I could follow with my MCP selected speed by just pressing the SPEED knob after take-off .That's the way how I would like to see it in the NGX also. But with this new bird it seems to me some actions are taken over despite the CMD is not engaged. So, in short I would like to practise turns and heights without interference but with the help of AutoTrottle like I use to have in older Boeing versions on the market. On the other hand I am open to hear differently if that old stuff was not the way it is today in more advanced simulations like this NGX.

What is the idea you ask about flying the SID /EDDM 08R - Tulsi this way ( LNAV/VNAV and CMD = OFF ) Answer is to be relieved from the speed task. It gives me the freedom to do the turns and height differences fully concentrated while the aircraft remains at a requested speed. And above all in turns I would like to have some extra power when raising the nose due to loss of lift and get this without failure if AT at MCP commanded speed is engaged .. at least this is how it worked in the other Boeings like Level-D and the PMDG737-700 (fs9). For now I have my hands full in manoeuvring within the given boundaries of a SID or STAR and also to get a good feeling of the behaviour of this new bird before stepping into a more complex environments, trust you understand my point.And why not having then Vnav engaged without the CMD engaged has been asked. Well, I would like to do one step at the time as I do not understand the way PMDG implemented VNAV in this plane. It seems although CMD is OFF the speed and heights are taken from the FMC and the aircraft is acting upon those parameters through the AT trust... ! ( While VNAV/LNAV and CMD are OFF ! ) Not the way I use to in Level-D and earlier 737-600/700 from PMDG. With those aircrafts I got LNAV/VNAV indications in the PFD which I could follow with my MCP selected speed by just pressing the SPEED knob after take-off .That's the way how I would like to see it in the NGX also. But with this new bird it seems to me some actions are taken over despite the CMD is not engaged. So, in short I would like to practise turns and heights without interference but with the help of AutoTrottle like I use to have in older Boeing versions on the market. On the other hand I am open to hear differently if that old stuff was not the way it is today in more advanced simulations like this NGX.
I think your problem is that you are using the SPEED button. If you want the A/T to help, then you don't want to be touching that button. If you are doing NADP-1 or -2, at your acceleration altitude, simply press LVL CHG and select your Flap Up maneuvering speed. Retract the flaps on schedule and then use whatever mode you want (LVL CHG, V/S) for the rest of the SID. There is really no need to increase thrust during turns, as the engine will be putting out climb power. If you are using V/S, the A/T will be matching your MCP selected airspeed. I've flown the 737 for about 4 years, but I have touched the SPEED button maybe 4 times. If I understand what you want to do, you don't want to use SPEED.

Matt Cee

Thanks for your input and guidance for how to do things better - I will give it a try accoording to NADP describtions found on

www.b737mrg.net.

Have been using SPEED for ever - climbing above 3000ft while cleaning up flaps and selecting 220knts with the speed knob. It made life so easy while leveling off at 4000ft preparing for the next step..

Seems it's a bad habit from what I read in your post Spin737 - and to be honest never thought about the noice procedures but the describtions are easy enough for me to follow.

Thanks again.

Use the IAS/MACH selector (knob) as much as you want. But if you expect the A/T to respond, SPEED button will make it so the A/T won't respond.

Matt Cee

Just tried the NADP procedure in terms of the NADP2 flight profile - That is till 800ft Take off trust +20 then up to 3000 Agl Climb trust in order to accelerate to flaps up speed while retracting the flaps and then hit flight change, BOOM ! The FMC was programmed at 4000ft - 220 knts to try this as first waypoint of the SID. I got what I wanted all the time and the big thing is that speed came up in the selector display and could be changed for the next step at the first waypoint while AT trust performed as expected. One thing, you must have the trust/confidence to pitch up all the time in order to keep the speed of the aircraft within limits until you reach the first waypoint as programmed in speed/height in the FMC...trust is then reduced while leveling of. You even get a warning signal some 750ft before the 4000ft to level-off. What a great way to fly. Didn't know it worked this way and am glad with this exciting take-off. Thanks Matt you made my day