Sign in to follow this  
harpsi

FSX first or after overclocking?

Hi I am almost quite near the process of overclocking since the machine is more or less built. Should I install windows and after that FSX and addons as well as prime95 and so on, and after that I can overclock the system, or FSX and addons comes after overclocking and stress tests? harpsi

I honestly don't think it matters. The "pros" say to install FSX and addons on a non-OCed system. I installed fsx base pack yes without any ocing, but I constantly install and uninstall addons @ 4.4GHz....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I honestly don't think it matters. The "pros" say to install FSX and addons on a non-OCed system. I installed fsx base pack yes without any ocing, but I constantly install and uninstall addons @ 4.4GHz....
I don´t imagine to install first 400 or 500 sceneries, 20 or 30 aircrafts and so on, before overclocking :D harpsi

Agreed... yeah. Technically if you were one of those believes you could save the BIOS profile (I'm pretty sure I can't do that with my mobo though) and just have stock settings to install stuff...if you were really that anal.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Agreed... yeah. Technically if you were one of those believes you could save the BIOS profile (I'm pretty sure I can't do that with my mobo though) and just have stock settings to install stuff...if you were really that anal.
Well, stoke settings just to install windows and FSX, right? Can you install all other things like addons for FSX, winamp, photoshop, winzip, internet browsers, or whatever you like with the processor overclocked? harpsi

I'm just gonna say yes, I'm constantly changing programs on my PC with my cpu overclocked. So far so good lol.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I'm just gonna say yes, I'm constantly changing programs on my PC with my cpu overclocked. So far so good lol.
LOL ;) harpsi

I personally don't see a problem about installing everything after overclocking. Only difference would be things'd install faster. That is, of course, after making sure that the processor is stable with the new clock speed, though.

I personally don't see a problem about installing everything after overclocking. Only difference would be things'd install faster. That is, of course, after making sure that the processor is stable with the new clock speed, though.
You should do the stress tests after oveclocking but it is not necessary to run FSX like a stress test as well, or it is? harpsi

I know how I did it:Bought new computer, booted windows once on stock, checked temps and voltages, reboot, went into BIOS and OCed to 4.4. Spent about 2 hours bringing it to 5.0, after that I did everything else.

There is an associated risk with installing on an overclocked machine. I recommend following this process for the install: http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic34141_post198187.html#198187

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

You should do the stress tests after oveclocking but it is not necessary to run FSX like a stress test as well, or it is? harpsi
Well actually I'd consider FSX a performance test rather than a stress test... For the latter there are a few applications which measure temperatures and so on... I can't tell you which since I've never overclocked :P

Really, you cant just go save CMOS to BIOS? Thats is what worked for me. Surely they haven't change the BIOS that much from P67 to Z68.

It is a very complicated guide and it has almost one year and a half... I believe that you must first install Windows 7 64bits, then install all your drivers and make sure your system is working for a normal use, like antivirus, internet connection, basic programs and stress tests programs for future overclocking. Then you install FSX and the last thing... overclocking! Is it like that? harpsi

It is a very complicated guide and it has almost one year and a half... I believe that you must first install Windows 7 64bits, then install all your drivers and make sure your system is working for a normal use, like antivirus, internet connection, basic programs and stress tests programs for future overclocking. Then you install FSX and the last thing... overclocking! Is it like that? harpsi
Yes....