Sign in to follow this  
ramprat

Floating on landing.

Greetings all, First I want to extend my appreciation to the PMDG staff for producing an add-on that raised the bar so far above the previous level I have dumped most of my other add-on aircraft. Great work PMDG! Now, for my question. I suspect this is an FSX problem but when I set the Vref speed according to the FMC with all the correct weights etc and come across the threshold exactly at Vref, the 800 series floats way too much IMO. For example, Vref is 135kts and the airplane floats and doesn't want to touchdown until the IAS is down to 115kts. Anyone else finding this to be true or is it just me. Thanks, Bill in Colorado

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

Greetings all, First I want to extend my appreciation to the PMDG staff for producing an add-on that raised the bar so far above the previous level I have dumped most of my other add-on aircraft. Great work PMDG! Now, for my question. I suspect this is an FSX problem but when I set the Vref speed according to the FMC with all the correct weights etc and come across the threshold exactly at Vref, the 800 series floats way too much IMO. For example, Vref is 135kts and the airplane floats and doesn't want to touchdown until the IAS is down to 115kts. Anyone else finding this to be true or is it just me. Thanks, Bill in Colorado
The ngx requires much less flare than other addons. Try moving throttle levers to idle at 50' & just a bit of flare around 20 feet. Instead of 2.5 degrees like we'd use on their 744 go for 1-1.5. Takes a bit of practice, but it sounds like that's your problemThe trick is to just reduce descent rate, not land by stalling like a cessna

Autothrust off. Power back to idle at 30 feet Simultaneously flare by a couple of degrees. Use the HUD, it's easier. Keep the flightpath vector a couple of degrees below the horizon. The 800/900 has an artificially high VREF by design, this is to reduce the chance of a tail strike. Two degree flare is all thats required. If you are using the short field package, then reduce VREF by 5 knots. The increased tail skid extension with the SFP, is there to accommodate a slower VREF. Martin Wilby

Don't start the flare too early and don't hold the nose too much, make for a firm landing and just adjust the flare so as to make a firm touch down, not a greaser but not a kangaroo landing either...

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I had a few problems at the start with floating down the runway but soon found my own way of dealing with this issue... It’s a mixture of disengaging auto throttle at around 600ft, controlling the speed myself (sticking to Vref), however as I reach minimums I allow the speed to reduce very slightly below and I start to reduce the throttle at 60ft, ensuring the throttle is idle by around 15ft... As we all know the Boeing 737 does not need as much flare as some other aircraft – having just come from PMDG’s MD11 I have had to spend a lot of time training myself not to flare but I have finally started to nail it... Idea.gif To be honest practice is the name of the game and don’t be afraid of a firm landing – they are the best type (note there is a difference between firm and slamming) Shocked.gif Kimberly

PMDG may have been simulating "ground effect" too, this is something affecting all aircarft as their wings approach the runway on landing, and tends to counteract drag- which in turn means that it takes longer to bleed off speed. I don;t fly the real NG so can't say how the real ground effect works on this aircraft- but seeing how much else they have modelled so well, I wouldn't be surprised if ground effect is also there- and if so, how it would affect the simulation. Thanks, Bruce.

PMDG may have been simulating "ground effect" too, this is something affecting all aircarft as their wings approach the runway on landing, and tends to counteract drag- which in turn means that it takes longer to bleed off speed. I don;t fly the real NG so can't say how the real ground effect works on this aircraft- but seeing how much else they have modelled so well, I wouldn't be surprised if ground effect is also there- and if so, how it would affect the simulation. Thanks, Bruce.
Ground effect is there. A while back they mentioned one of the quirks we'd notice was a slight increase in acceleration when taking off due to ground effect

Ground effect is there. A while back they mentioned one of the quirks we'd notice was a slight increase in acceleration when taking off due to ground effect
I think you mean in the Introduction

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

This will be better in SP1 - there was an issue causing more lift than there should be in the approach phase. (Same reason the attitude was too low as well)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

great news

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

I think you mean in the Introduction
No it was here on the forums. There was a discussion about all the real ng quirks that would inevitably be reported as bugs.Re Ryan: is there a connection between this excessive lift & the landing pitch that's supposedly a little low? Nevermind, just saw that note in your post..

Good to see that the pitch "bug" will be addressed in SP1, that note alone should be exciting news for all us NGX fanatics! No more manipulating the VREF numbers to get a realistic looking attitude on finals, hooray!

This will be better in SP1 - there was an issue causing more lift than there should be in the approach phase. (Same reason the attitude was too low as well)
What was the issue as a matter of interest Ryan? If you don't mind sharing. Martin Wilby