Hi, I have been using the Saitek Yoke, Pedals, and Throttle Quads.(2).Honestly, I am not at all impressed with the built quality nor am I impressed with the way they perform in FSX.My throttles spike like crazy, my yoke is malfunctioning and my pedals are not very smooth. Is there any other products out there that are good "bang for buck" and have good build quality and good functionality? I do not want to have to buy a new yoke every 2-3 years...... NOTE: I am not willing to pay 1500 bucks on a yoke LOL Even though I didn't like my Saitek yoke I am willing to give there new Saitek Cessna Yoke a chance....Anyone have the Saitek Cessna Yoke product? How do the controls feel?--Sticky? Smooth? ALSO, does anyone have the CH Products Throttle quad? I am very interested in this product and I am wondering if they have the spiking issue that the Saitek's have.

Guest jahman

Use FSUIOC (registered version) to assign, calibrate and de-spike your axis. I use the CH Yoke, Pedals and ThrottleQ and am happy as a clam with them. Cheers, - jahman.

This may sound strange, but what does "spiking" mean? I have the Saitek throttle, and I have seen that the axis go crazy sometimes. Is this "spiking"?

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Even though I didn't like my Saitek yoke I am willing to give there new Saitek Cessna Yoke a chance....Anyone have the Saitek Cessna Yoke product? How do the controls feel?--Sticky? Smooth?
I have the Cessna yoke.It is sticky and not that smooth in the elevator axis.The aileron axis is not bad though.The throttle quadrant is pretty smooth but I can't get anything but Saiteks test panel to recognize it.Timmer here also just got the Cessna but has no problems with it, so it could just be my setup.I have another unit on order just to make sure its not a faulty unit.I will return one and keep the other.I like the switch layout on the Cessna a lot and feel it can be modded to make the eleator smoother.Also it looks very cool and feels like a real Cessna yoke in dimension.All together not bad for 200.00 bucks.The cheapest PFC rig will run you 1665.00 usd plus a good chunk of change in shipping.

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

Use FSUIOC (registered version) to assign, calibrate and de-spike your axis. I use the CH Yoke, Pedals and ThrottleQ and am happy as a clam with them. Cheers, - jahman.
Could you kindly tell me how to "de-spike"? I have a registered FSUIPC.... Also, how do I calibrate with FSUIPC?
I have the Cessna yoke.It is sticky and not that smooth in the elevator axis.The aileron axis is not bad though.The throttle quadrant is pretty smooth but I can't get anything but Saiteks test panel to recognize it.Timmer here also just got the Cessna but has no problems with it, so it could just be my setup.I have another unit on order just to make sure its not a faulty unit.I will return one and keep the other.I like the switch layout on the Cessna a lot and feel it can be modded to make the eleator smoother.Also it looks very cool and feels like a real Cessna yoke in dimension.All together not bad for 200.00 bucks.The cheapest PFC rig will run you 1665.00 usd plus a good chunk of change in shipping.
Thanks for the info.... REALLY appreciate it. I will be making a decision here soon since my yoke is out of warranty.
This may sound strange, but what does "spiking" mean? I have the Saitek throttle, and I have seen that the axis go crazy sometimes. Is this "spiking"?
Yes, you are correct. The "axis going crazy" is spiking. It is caused by dirty pots inside the module. I tried opening them up and blasting them out with compressed air but that made no difference. Is there any other solvent/gas/oil that will remove the dust form the pots?

Is there any other solvent/gas/oil that will remove the dust form the pots?
HelloI just sprayed an isopropanol aerosol into the throttle lever slots whilst moving the levers up and down without even dismantling the unitsWashes out the dust, seems ok so far but these units are really just rubbish quality.

HelloI just sprayed an isopropanol aerosol into the throttle lever slots whilst moving the levers up and down without even dismantling the unitsWashes out the dust, seems ok so far but these units are really just rubbish quality.
I bought an isopropanol aerosol can and blasted out both quads. Fixed my newer quadrant but didn't help the older one. I am thinking of selling my Trackir and getting the CH Throttle. Anyone know if the CH throttle has this issue?

Guest jahman
Could you kindly tell me how to "de-spike"? I have a registered FSUIPC....Also, how do I calibrate with FSUIPC?
  1. Calibrate,
  2. De-Spike (FSUIPC "Miscellaneous" tab, left-and column, "Control Spike Elimination").

Cheers, -jahman.

Yes, you are correct. The "axis going crazy" is spiking. It is caused by dirty pots inside the module. I tried opening them up and blasting them out with compressed air but that made no difference.
Ok. Indeed, If you take a torch and look into the axis,there is quite a lot of dust there. Thanks for your help.

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

... flying Beach Bonanza most of the time, have been using Saitek Yoke, QT, pedals, Switch panel, for almost 3 years, no problem, or what soever. Got FSUIPC, as well, but never, actually took the advantage of it, looks overwhelming, and to complex to me ......

You just can't expect perfect, smooth response from a $120 Yoke or a $50 throttle quadrant. If you buy controllers from PFC, it's $600 just for the yoke. Throttle quadrants are $225 and require a $400 Throttle Quadrant Console as well. While those units may be overpriced, I think it's obvious that cheaper models from CH and Saitek are going to be compromises. I was previously using a CH Yoke and now use a Saitek Yoke - they're quite similar in terms of build quality and smoothness. While an external program can be used to detect and eliminate spikes, it is a hardware problem caused by dirty/scratchy or just worn out trimpots. Three aerosol cans can go a long way towards improving the response and smoothness: For the Yoke, use silicone grease to improve smoothness in the pitch axis.For the throttle: Use canned air, then electronic cleaner spray to try and clean the dirty trimpots. You may have to disassemble the unit to reach them. After spraying, move the trimpots back and forth repeatedly to get all the dirt out.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

You just can't expect perfect, smooth response from a $120 Yoke or a $50 throttle quadrant. If you buy controllers from PFC, it's $600 just for the yoke. Throttle quadrants are $225 and require a $400 Throttle Quadrant Console as well. While those units may be overpriced, I think it's obvious that cheaper models from CH and Saitek are going to be compromises. I was previously using a CH Yoke and now use a Saitek Yoke - they're quite similar in terms of build quality and smoothness. While an external program can be used to detect and eliminate spikes, it is a hardware problem caused by dirty/scratchy or just worn out trimpots. Three aerosol cans can go a long way towards improving the response and smoothness: For the Yoke, use silicone grease to improve smoothness in the pitch axis.For the throttle: Use canned air, then electronic cleaner spray to try and clean the dirty trimpots. You may have to disassemble the unit to reach them. After spraying, move the trimpots back and forth repeatedly to get all the dirt out.
Would something like wiping the shaft down with a silicon gun cloth work, or does it need to be applied more thick.Also even my PFC desktop Saab yoke wasn't perfectly smooth in the elevator axis when making small adjustments.To get 100 percent smooth the floor mounted jetliner yoke was the ticket, just never felt right though flying small GA planes with a regional turbo prop yoke replica. Hypnotized.gif

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

Just a bit will do, but the best lube is Dupont Silicone with Teflon, $5 a can. Cheers, - jahman.
Ok got a can on order.I assume I spray this on a clean chamois or towel and wipe down the shaft.Should I open the unit up to get at the whole shaft or is pulling the yoke back as far as it goes and then applying good enough?Thanks!

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg