Sign in to follow this  
conura

a new aircraft

Hi all,First off, apologies for grammar - mobile device!Anyway, basically I have my pmdg ngx for complexity and learning, however sometimes I just want to fire up a small prop plane and actually fly something! I want something small enough to explore valleys etc but perhaps a little more going for it than a small cessna. It does need to be simple yet realistic, as its main use will be for learning VATSIM. I have been looking at carenado and they look quite good, however I am not looking to spend a great deal of money - perhaps 25usd max! Can anybody recommend anything??Thanks :-)

Hi all, First off, apologies for grammar - mobile device! Anyway, basically I have my pmdg ngx for complexity and learning, however sometimes I just want to fire up a small prop plane and actually fly something! I want something small enough to explore valleys etc but perhaps a little more going for it than a small cessna. It does need to be simple yet realistic, as its main use will be for learning VATSIM. I have been looking at carenado and they look quite good, however I am not looking to spend a great deal of money - perhaps 25usd max! Can anybody recommend anything?? Thanks :-)
HelloThe FSD Commander 115TC is a Gem, http://www.fsd-international.com/Hangar/C115/vx.htm

For 25...hmmm... look at Ant's P2002 Sierra:http://www.antsairplanes.com/sierralsa.html If you can go a little more check out Aerosoft Katana, Carenado T210M, RealAir Scout pack

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Here's a few options: Flight 1 Cessna 441 If you want something that is relatively simple to fly, but is good for exploring and can do a lot more when you need it to, particularly for VATSIM and such, then I would recommend a look at Flight 1's Cessna 441. It is quite old these days as far as add-ons go, having been made a few years ago, but it still has a very good VC and external model (good flight model too). But perhaps more importantly, it gets good FPS, which would be important when you are exploring scenery because you usually want the detail sliders for the terrain up high. And when it comes to using VATSIM and learning complex ATC procedures, you don't want something that is a RAM hog as you might be alt-tabbing out to read a PDF or 'how to' web page some such. Another reason, I might choose that Cessna 441, is because it is pressurised and has a good turn of speed and and pretty high maximum ceiling, which makes it a great aeroplane for training airliner procedures (i.e. you have to think about some more complex stuff if you take it up over 10,000 feet). It's also a slippery sonofa###### on the descent from pressurised altitudes, so it is a great 'airliner trainer' because you have to think about getting the speed off the clock with it when descending, like you do with airliners. Flight 1 Cessna Mustang Having said all of the above re the 441, you might want something more up to date, and if that's true, and you have the computer to handle it ('cause it is farily demanding on you computer), then the Flight 1 Cessna Mustang is a good choice which also fits your criteria, in that it too is easy to fly, can land slowly but can also go pretty fast and climb high when you want it to (not quite airliner speeds, but getting close). As far as training goes, the real Cessna Mustang, which this is a very good simulation of, is often the aircraft of choice for pilots making a transition from props to jets. This is in fact exactly where Cessna were aiming it when they designed it, because despite being a jet, it has no complex overhead and stays with more of a typical GA prop aircraft cockpit layout, which was deliberate on their part, as was the fact that it has a pretty low approach speed. So it offers, in as much as is possible, the best of both worlds. Have a look at Flight 1's Cessna 182T while you are at it, which is another one (single prop) much in the same vein as far as modern avionics go and realistic simulations of them (pricey for what it is, but undoubtedly very good if you want a fancy GA single). Lionheart Bellanca Turbo Viking This happens to be my absolute favourite GA aeroplane for FSX. It's a single engine aircraft much like many other older GA singles in appearance, if perhaps a little more streamlined, but the real thing differs in construction, in that much of the airframe is tubular steel with a non load-bearing outer skin. This makes it light and fast, so despite its age, it is comparable to more modern composite GA singles in terms of performance. What that means is it has a normal GA take off and approach speeds, but it has a very high ceiling because of the lightness of its construction and its turbo engine, and that makes it very fast too for a single, well over 220 knots when you get it going. It has a lovely VC as well, really pretty and more like the inside of a classic 1960s Jaguar saloon car or something like that rather than a typical aeroplane cabin. Unlike the other two twins above, it is not pressurised, but you can still take it up very high because it simulates the pilot and passengers going on the type of nasal oxygen tubes common in GA flying (which does appear visually on the passenbers in FSX, when you turn the oxygen on). This makes it really simple to fly, but extremely flexible to use for more complex flying tasks. Not only that, it's pretty inexpensive as well for such a nice FS add-on. Anyway, check em out. hope that helps or at least gives you some ideas. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks very much for all the input guys - I am looking into them all now. I am also considering pushing the budget for one of the Carenado HD aircraft...They look very nice. Do any of them fit my criteria??

At the end of the day, you should get what you like, and if you like something from Caranado, then that's what you should buy. They are pretty good (some very good indeed, such as their F33 Bonanza, which incidentally would be a good choice for what you want), the more recent Caranado offerings have good flight modeling, some of the older ones were a bit ropey in that regard, though without a doubt pretty, but even those have some 'fixes' kicking about for them. Don't discount the default FS Mooney by the way, that fits your criteria as well. Al

Alan Bradbury

Thanks for the advice chock - I did what you said and went with what I think looks fun and reasonably simple (compared to the NGX, anyway)...Went for the Carenado C337H Skymaster because...It looked very strange and I've not seen anything like it. Hope it's fun... Thanks :)

Thanks very much for all the input guys - I am looking into them all now. I am also considering pushing the budget for one of the Carenado HD aircraft...They look very nice. Do any of them fit my criteria??
The two latest ones would be the best - the T210 or C337.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

That's a good one, nice choice Luke. A not dissimilar variant of the 337 was also used as a forward air controller aircraft in the Vietnam War, for marking targets with smoke rockets, the only major differences between that and the civilian version being more radios and some rocket racks mounted under the wings on the military version. It features extensively in the fact-based war movie 'Bat 21'. Clip of that movie here:

Al

Alan Bradbury

Very interesting - had no idea this aircraft even existed! Really fun to fly too. I really must get round to learning that NGX eventually....It's like a luxury being able to have traffic at 80% and having a smooth 40fps...

.... +1 on the Commander 115 TC by FSD, ..... my prime bird, is the Beech Bonanza F33, find it great trainer for student pilot that want to add some diminsion of complexity

.... +1 on the Commander 115 TC by FSD, ..... my prime bird, is the Beech Bonanza F33, find it great trainer for student pilot that want to add some diminsion of complexity
HelloIt is strange how the FSD Commander 115 TC gets very little love around here, something about the scale of this VC just feels right especially with TrackIR.The last really good product from FSD IMHO

... both the Manufacturer of the real, and the Sim devaloper are not "Big Names" in the market. Though there are some minor thing that need atention, I found this is a vary compaling airplane, it's conteporary laxuriy interior, along with high performance, smoth and easy to fly, fetures like AC, pressurized fuslage and it's insulation , make this little Bird almost all you can "Wish for"

When I first purchased the FSD Commander it did not work properly with Win 7 64U. I'm not sure if it works well now, but I remember that it was a beautiful cockpit. Plus it was priced right! That's about the only thing good that I have to say about FSD.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

When I first purchased the FSD Commander it did not work properly with Win 7 64U. I'm not sure if it works well now, but I remember that it was a beautiful cockpit. Plus it was priced right! That's about the only thing good that I have to say about FSD.
HelloIts working fine for me under W764, give it another try it is worth it.