Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Smoke from 4 engines not aligned

Hi, As you see from the screenshot, the smoke I get from the (FS9) 747 is not aligned with the engines. I have started the flight with the Cessna and changed to the 747. If I disable the 'smoke' lines in the aircraft.cfg file (smoke.0 = 0.00, -20.5, 0.00, fx_pmdg744_cockpit,) with \\ I still get the smoke so am not sure what is causing the effect when nothing is in the cfg file - is it 'hard-wired'? How do I get the smoke to line up with the engines? Searched the forum but haven't located anyone with this exact problem. Thanks, Martin

Do you have an alternate contrails source? Ie REX? Contrails should also be showing up behind the aircraft and not under the wings.

No, I can't see anything in the aircraft.cfg or panel.cfg files that would account for this. The engine smoke is in the right place on the ground, but at cruise altitude it is some way off, as per screenshots. Help much appreciated. Martin

You should not have engine smoke at all on the ground. Unless OAT is -20, it shouldn't show up. You could try to run Repair from the FSX disc, this may fix your issue.

This is FS9 ... My installation disc is still in the UK (& I am in Bangkok), so can't try that for now anyway. I get smoke after engine startup on the ground - gentle, not like in the air. Surely that is supposed to be there? It looks very good... I did have Martyn Becker's Engine Exhaust System installed for the PMDG 747s but deleted it for these a/c, so can't see what else would be making the exhaust.. M

Actually, that third party exhaust program could have screwed up the config. I would un-install and re-install the queen and see if that fixes it.

But with no CD here, as I say .... It'll have to wait until my next visit (Christmas). I doubt that the programme would mess the 747 up - it's just some lines added to the aircraft.cfg. If you delete them, that should be that. But stranger things have happened - I'll keep looking anyway. M

The culprit, after a trial and error session, are the files fx_contrail_l.fx and fx_contrail_s.fx - if I remove those then the smoke stops. I have no idea why the a/c is using this effect (or in this way) as there is no reference to the file in the aircraft.cfg. M.