Sign in to follow this  
ericd19320

navigation

Hey guys I am just beginning to get a handle on navigation. It seems the more I understand, the more questions come up if that makes any sense at all. With that said here is my question. After creating a flight plan that tracks a vor, how would I track an IAF that has no freq? an example is, one of the IAF's to KORS is orcus. I just don't understand can someone please help.thanksEric

You're probably looking at an RNAV/GPS approach. Quick answer: Load the approach into your gps via the PROC key. Long answer: Learn more about basic navigation before you continue hehe...http://stoenworks.co...ome%20page.html"Tutorials" in the middle bottom of the page http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ edit: Yep, it's the RNAV -A into KORS. The only way to fly this is with a GPS or FMS. This approach may or may not be in the FSX database.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Depends on the aircraft, there are a few ways you can do it, but it will be largely what avionics fit your aeroplane has that will determine your method.More info on the navaids you have available and the avionics you are carrying will help to get you a more specific reply. Most IAFs will be a reporting waypoint of some kind that is in the database of an FMC or part of a STAR, even ones where there is no physical ground-based equipment, since an FMC can triangulate other nav signal sources to take you to such a point and doesn't actually need anything located at the spot itself. So if it is an airliner or a modern GA aircraft with a decent GPS which you are flying, that'd be the way. You can create fixes for locations in a number of other ways too, the simplest being to add an offset to a VOR for the point you want, by entering a bearing and distance from the VOR's location, i.e. something like 'TNT 270/20', to put a waypoint offset west from the TNT VOR, twenty miles away from it. If you only have nav radios, it's a bit trickier, but not impossible, since you can define any point by crossing the radials of two conveniently nearby VORs with a decent amount of separation (i.e. the good old fashioned way you learn when doing a PPL). Thus if you are 250 degrees from one VOR and 023 degrees from another, there can only be one location you are at, although this is easier to steer to if you are actually flying along one of those radials, since there will be only one bearing figure that the offset is changing on, although that's not ideal for coming into an IAF unless your planning is well thought out. As noted, your avionics will determine what options you have. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here