Sign in to follow this  
simon747

Hmm....does not look good...

At least my 2,500 usd worth of add-ons will get a nice long run for their money:) The add-ons for the fs9/fsx platforms are what make it worth it for me. :)

Simon

If Orbx is under NDA, how could they offer such insight? And if they are not involved, how would they know? Something doesn't seem right about this whole thing

One of two things...Orbx is under a NDA and are pi$$sed as much as other devs. are and by been shut down they don't care anymore or it's a conspiracy from MS and the devs to fool all of us....will Orbx put their reputation at risk by making false statement like 10 min. taxi did?.....we are not talking about a new kid on the block here...what's plausible to you? EDIT: post # 10 from the top.....this is also not a new kid on the block.... http://www.flytampa....e12df99995135a3

This is sure ends for me... Orbx is one of the important developer in Fs community.Ms FLIGHT is nothing to interest for "us" sim players.If John from Orbx said so, it must be true and stop speculation!!!I thing all of seriously sim players should gone from this forum and never back,LEAVE THE CHILDREN TO PLAY WITH IT - and talking about it here.- FSX, X-PLANE 10 and PREPAR 3D - it should be under our focus.brdsMartin

This is disappointing to read... then there is another comment on that page: "I am another developer who can confirm that the information above is correct. MS have cut off all ties with developers. Flight is a kiddie-sim with no ATC, airlines, or anything remotely close to FSX. Please respect developers who post anonymously. If you were a single person revealing information from a massive corporation you would do the same thing. There is going to be a backlash about this for sure." I respect ORBX's opinion... the whole thing seems really weird though since he is practically admitting that he was/is under NDA... So many questions and few answers.

yea, but I take orbx as a worthy source...
Yup...
One of two things...Orbx is under a NDA and are pi$$sed as much as other devs. are and by been shut down they don't care anymore or it's a conspiracy from MS and the devs to fool all of us....will Orbx put their reputation at risk by making false statement like 10 min. taxi did?.....we are not talking about a new kid on the block here...what's plausible to you? EDIT: post # 10 from the top.....this is also not a new kid on the block.... http://www.flytampa....e12df99995135a3
Correct. I firmly believe as another Avsim member posted where there is smoke there is fire and it applies here. What we are seeing is the public bubbling over of some internal battle between MS and the add on developers. And if I were a betting man I say the first assumption and the post by Anonymous is probably correct. MS has locked out the add on devs, they are very upset and are speaking out.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Please do NOT associate Orbx with the recent rumors and unrest.I can neither confirm nor deny were are under NDA, and I can neither confirm nor deny that any of the recent speculation or rumors are true or false. I believe that this is the politically correct way in which we are entitled to comment on these matters.As for my comments on what Flight appears to be in comparison to FSX, until I see screenshots from MS which shows anything outside Hawaii, my perception is unchanged.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

Please do NOT associate Orbx with the recent rumors and unrest. I can neither confirm nor deny were are under NDA, and I can neither confirm nor deny that any of the recent speculation or rumors are true or false. I believe that this is the politically correct way in which we are entitled to comment on these matters. As for my comments on what Flight appears to be in comparison to FSX, until I see screenshots from MS which shows anything outside Hawaii, my perception is unchanged.
John, Are you planning on going into politics?LOL.gif

NAX669.png

Please do NOT associate Orbx with the recent rumors and unrest. I can neither confirm nor deny were are under NDA, and I can neither confirm nor deny that any of the recent speculation or rumors are true or false. I believe that this is the politically correct way in which we are entitled to comment on these matters. As for my comments on what Flight appears to be in comparison to FSX, until I see screenshots from MS which shows anything outside Hawaii, my perception is unchanged.
Understandable... but I fear that what we are seeing is infact the public boiling over of an internal battle or outright anger by developers at MS for what may well be a (now) closed system. If MS has decided to focus on some type of X-Box style SIM this would indeed make all the sense in the world, financially. When you see that X-Box gaming profits are up almost 45% for the full year, due to the ongoing momentum of the console, Kinect, and Xbox Live. Xbox 360... http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY11/Q4/default.aspx

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

You know, it's not rocket science to understand why developers might be annoyed with an attempt to wrest the control of add-ons from third party developers, after all, MS created the gravy train which those devs ride on, but that does not mean they owe them a living, and if that living in its present incarnation goes, and I was making money from it, I wouldn't like it either and would, understandably, feel like I'd had the rug pulled from under me. But what we also have to understand is that if there are payware add-ons to be made for Flight and sold by MS, then somebody has to make them, MS cannot pluck them out of their &@($*, so there would still be work for developers, just not necessarily with as much control over what does and does not get made, and how much is made when doing so. So that's not going to make independent developers exactly jump for joy, is it? Thus the notion that developers have had their nose put out of joint doesn't necessarily prove Flight is dumbed down. It may well be, but that situation alone doesn't confirm it to be the case. But there would certainly be one winner who could profit from all that, and turn out to be a saviour for indie devs as well, and that would be the owners of Prepar3D (or however it is they spell it). So stand by to pay a lot more for a flight sim, but in doing so, expect to get a very much better one for your money. And if that happens, MS will have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. Oops. 40,000 hard core simmers (as the estimate goes) at 400 Dollars a copy, 16 million bucks, not including add-ons. Now that kind of mathematics is a no brainer for a development company, especially when they can sell it as a professional tool as well and make even more money. And you just know all those hard core types are going to love the fact that they are buying a sim from the company that made the SR-71 Blackbird, the real one that is: 'need the specs to make a model of it? yup, they're in that drawer over there, careful with those, they're the originals'. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here