Sign in to follow this  
simon747

Hmm....does not look good...

If Prepar3D turns out to be the cats meow of flight SIMS I might cough up the cash for the full thing. But I'd have to see some serious quality and performance coming from it. As well as a nice leap towards the next generation of add on's.
Prepar3D is already available...it's already turned out ;)

Okay, for anyone taking the plunge, here's what you do, register on the Prepar3d site, you'll get an email confirmation with your password and then you can buy a subscription or licence when you log in. If you buy the simple 9.99 option (CC only, no paypal), you get a download link to three files. They are 2.4Gb, 3.9Gb and 3.9Gb, so you are looking at downloading 10.5 (ish) Gb, which since I decided to give a whirl out of curiosity, is coming down my ADSL connection at about 122kb a second, which is pretty damn slow (about a tenth of the speed I get stuff coming through off Steam), so it'll take about eight and a half hours for it to come down the pipe at that speed, although it may pick up speed when the smaller one is through. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Can you update on performance when you get it working that is what is making me very interested.

Just some info on P3D. Right now you can get a 12 month sub for $10 a month. That's about the cost of a quality airliner addon for FSX. Included in the sub is access to V1.1 today, and soon V1.2, plus any new major releases in the next 12 months. It is hardly a barrier to entry IMHO :) John Nichol from LM has already posted on the AVSIM forums to say that DirectX11 support is being added, and should be in a future release. You can of course imagine just how amazingly well optimized-debugged FSX code will run when it offloads all shader and geometry functions to a DX11-enabled GPU, and takes advantage of multi-threading across cores. I can say I am under NDA with Lockheed Martin. We have been in conversation with them for about 18 months. They are big fans of Orbx and we are excited to work with such an impressive global aerospace company. I know about a lot of really exciting stuff coming soon but of course I have to leave it to the official LM announcement channels. As for Orbx scenery; we are about to release a free PNW demo which includes KHQM Bowerman, for P3D. We are just debugging the final installer so it won't be long now. We have already ported all our Orbx custom apps to run under P3D, so it's a seamless install. Watch for the joint LM-Orbx press release very soon. We will be offering a "cross-grade" pricing for all Orbx products that we port to P3D. It will be very afforable, as long as you provide proof of having purchased the FSX version already. I also concur that we need a dedicated Prepar3D forum here at AVSIM, since there is a groundswell happening. If David Roch reads this perhaps you can see what can be done mate?

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

Yeah, I'll throw some screenies up and try a few of the common add-ons when it gets going tomorrow, although I daresay someone who already has it could do that, I know the PMDG NG works in it, but with a couple of issues apparently. Some of that is down to the fact that there is a different compiler for Prepar3d than there is for FSX, all that stuff and some other dev tools can be had from the Prepar3d site as well, although there is some cost involved for some of them (nothing drastically expensive). I'll have to check out which of my 3D programs can export in a suitable format for it, but I daresay one of them will, since I have a few of em. I'm guessing the pro version of 3D Crafter will be able to do it, since that has about a million export format plug ins lol. Al

Alan Bradbury

LOL - LM are going to get into work tomorrow morning and wonder what the hell happened! Wait till the Germans get a whiff of this!

Konrad

Actually all the Orbx developers using 3DStudio Max (the majority of them) are using the Prepar3D SDK tools to compile MDLs for FSX, because they fixed the API hooks for 3DStudioMax so that we're not locked into superceded versions. We now can use the latest 3DSMax code to compile for both FSX and P3D. Another example of how ongoing, active SDK development helps developers.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

So...it seems every one gave up on Flight, even though all agree that there is nothing but rumors. This is a good lesson for what not to do in marketing.

What kind of computer specs are people running this thing on? Do we need some Anti-Matter powered Sandia Labs bazillion core super computer or can I expect near the same level of performance I get from FSX on my lowly Core2 Duo?

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Count me in for Prepar3D. Simple economics. Kind regards,
In fact, I am getting as excited as I have been for years, including shortness of breath. Wait, where is my nitroglycerin? Angel.gif

So...it seems every one gave up on Flight, even though all agree that there is nothing but rumors.
Oh, I think we've had a bit more than rumors today...

Konrad

Well, for 9.99 it's probably worth taking a look, so you could see for yourself whether it runs okay on your computer, but if it can run FSX, I daresay it can run P3D. Sadly, I've only got access to 3DSMax at work, I'm too poor to have it at home LOL Al

Alan Bradbury

So...it seems every one gave up on Flight, even though all agree that there is nothing but rumors. This is a good lesson for what not to do in marketing.
frankla, I don't see it that way :) And I am a Flight diehard if you’ve read my posts. I’d say the best thing is to put all the spiteful rumors aside for a few weeks. Prepar is a great product IMO, but it is also an FSX derivative. For the most part it is FSX for an enterprise price. For the time being that's good for a tiny segment of a small market. The rumor mill aside there's no indication yet Flight won't have an SDK. Keek in mind, before FSX the SDK was always released sometime after the platform…so I'm prepared for that possibility again.

wow..it will be interesting to see how MS will respond to this on their web site. Its hard to believe they would not fire their shot in response to this so called breach of their NDA. It will be a very interesting week.