Sign in to follow this  
Cee-Jaay

Help with process for saving an FSX flight with NGX Cold & Dark

Hi there, I've had problems setting a flight to start in Cold & Dark config, if anyone has done this I be hugely grateful for some help. here's what I tried: Position the NGX & Set Airstairs down, L1 openOn Skipper-side CDU select "NGXCLDDK"I thought at this point it would reconfig to cold and dark since there is no "save"I then saved the panel state (even though the actual config hadn't changed, I assumed this would save the CDU Cold and Dark setting).Saved an FSX flight, when I selected it, I got an FSX restart (unrecoverable error)On restart, selected saved flight (but engines were running) Can anyone help with advice on what the sequence is for saving an FSX flight with the NGX in Cold and Dark mode? Or how/when "Cold and Dark" is actioned? cheers,Chris

Hopefully, I can provide some insight into what you have experienced: first off, after loading and positioning an NGX model, allow it to fully intialize ( countdown from 20 to 0 ), then go thru each panel and make sure everything is turned off (engines should already be off if you allowed it to complete initialization). Make sure all lights are off. One further setup you may find useful is to also tailor your aircraft and display settings so they will also be saved with this "startup" situation. You can always re-adjust them for a particular aircraft after the fact but this will give you a basic common start up. Now save this as your startup situation using a name, for example, 738STARTUP in the 'startup situation' option menu in FMC SETUP page. There also is a panel configuration setup that can be separately programmed but the startup situation file you configure will always be the one that determines the state of your aircraft when you initially select an NGX plane. Now you will not be able to reset the situation in FSX to verify your setup until you first EXIT FSX and then restart it otherwise you will get a "fatal error" This was noted in the NGX introduction documentation. You are supposed to be able to choose a different aircraft first and then come back to the NGX again without a problem but I have never been able to make that work. It seems FSX does not fully release the original memory allocation back into the system as free memory so you get OOM lockups. I hope this helps. This method has worked for me. I needed to recreate a startup stituation for "cold and dark" since I had inadvertently deleted the original "cold and dark" situation file that came with the install! The only thing that will not be present when you load up is the position of the Jetway or the airstairs. The doors will be open and the engines off ( if that is how you saved it all ) but you can go into the FMC MENU - DOORS and select "airstairs" to open without having to power the aircraft so it seems to be a trivial point, at least for me.

Thanks HiFly, I believe I understand how to set cold and dark, although something is going wrong (using the provided cold and dark panel state). 1. I load up the a/c, wait for systems countdown2. Select the presupplied Cold and dark panel state, wait for systems countdown2. select fuel to 1/3rd in the FMC3. I switch on the battery and immediately there a continuous beep-beep-beep (this is not silenced by pressing the Alt cutout, which was my first thought) Anyone know what this is? cheers,Chris

The "no-name" responder is correct, Chris. What you are hearing is a warning that your battery is discharging. Either start the APU or in the FMC setup menu select ground services and activate ground power and while you are at it, activate ground air supply because you will need that to start engines. Ground ac is also available if you are going to be parked for a length of time. Ground a/c unit is stationed on the left, so it needs to be removed before you start left engine (which is started first when on ground air/power). Once left engine is started, you need to disconnect and remove ground services (switch on left generator first!) before starting right engine (you can use bleed air from the left engine as in the RW)

Sorry guys, connected ground power in the CDU setup, then selected Grd pwr on on the overhead lights on, but still beeping.