Sign in to follow this  
sccratlanta

ILS capture

Hello all, I'll be 20 miles out inbound and I have LNAV and VNAV selected, then when I go to select LOC and when the LOC needle starts moving towards the center, everything starts going downhill. On the PFD is says single command and the airplanes starts turning the wrong way. I have the ILS programed into the FMC and both ILS freq tuned in, but even when I go to APP mode it says single command and doesn't want to capture the needle, it just starts a bank away from the LOC. So I take over and hand fly it and when I hand fly it, the glide slope needle will never appear on the whole approach. Any suggestions? Thanks Tim B

If it turns the wrong way when you select loc, you probably have the wrong frequency on the ILS or the wrong airport, because the plane should turn toward the localizer. I think single command is OK until you have captured the glideslope, but turning the wrong way is unusual. Try turning the knob from nav to ILS and note on which side (left or right) the runway is shown. When you say you have the ILS programmed into the FMC, do you mean the name of the arrival airport? Some airports may have changed frequencies, although that is rather rare compared to changing runway orientation. Henri

Henri Arsenault

No, I have the right freq in both NAV 1 and NAV 2. Yes, I have the arrival airport set in the FMC, that is how I get my ILS freq and approach speed. This happens at all airports when I am shooting an ILS, but yea it goes from a green command to a orange single command and the airplanes just turns in a circle. Tim B

Also, did you set the right course in the MCP? Did you double checked the frequencies that the FMC gives you for the ILS with the actual FSX ILS frequencies? While your navdata might be super accurate and up to date, FSX is not. Sometimes, even payware scenery packs get it wrong.

Cristi Neagu