Sign in to follow this  
Ben Cap

What's going on?

I don't understand why there is so much confusion right now... Can someone please sort out the FACTS and THEORIES.

Well, there are little to no solid facts, which means there are a whole lot of theories! Just stand back and be patient. When/if Flight gets off the ground all will be revealed. Until then I think my magic 8 ball is probably as good at predicting what Flight will be as anything seen here.

There are no facts. The nearest things to facts are what Microsoft actually wrote on the Flight site. This needs to be read very carefully to appreciate what Microsoft actually wrote - not what some people have read into it.

There's nothing but theory and conjecture right now. However, it is likely possible that the traditional developers we know and love have been shut out as the entirely delivery model is likely set to change (think Steam - no, not the actual use of steam, but the delivery model). But all I've offered is more conjecture based on reasoning against known facts and my own assumptions. Of course none of this is new. When we heard that our beloved was being killed off in 2009, the press release mentioned Microsoft's commitment to "Flying games." It would seem that simulation software, of the ilk that ACES was producing (including for Trains), is out of step with Microsoft's new direction in entirely supporting the XBOX and Windows Mobile 7 approach. Microsoft aren't doing this in a vacuum, traditional PC game sales are just about dead. If you look at the sort of market data that an outfit like NPD puts out, what sells in games is consoles and, in particular, casual games. In any case, as Microsoft have alluded to, it isn't much sweat for them to leave in the simulation portions as the engine seems (to the eye) to be an extension of FSX (which isn't a bad thing, go back to some of Adam Szofran's presentations on the terrain engine). Microsoft needs to make money in the widest possible market, and that is what they'll do. Plus, before you accuse Microsoft of selling out by making the next installment a "lite" title for the kiddies, don't forget that Austin Meyer did just that with XPlane for the iPhone and iPad. I'm sure he made quite a bit of dough on it. If there is one thing that ACES did under Phil Taylor's watch that might prove to be a lasting legacy was to have created ESP (likely in search of the "serious games" dollar). This is so as, there is some chance that the FSX codebase will be the last of the "classic" iterations of the once-mighty flight simulator. So, while we still have only rumor and speculation at hand, I did sense an ever-so-slight chill in the air with the most recent developments. Just that little twitch that says that the omission of the word "simulator" doth portend. However, opinions are cheap and my own is on sale for the low, low price of nothing.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Lol, Seriously? We're going to post this BS again after Tom locked the other thread.Let's keep Flight talk out of the conspiracy files for a while smile.png

Ben, There is a whole lot going on, more than you know, with some of it spilling over to AVSIM and other FS forums. We will all know soon enough about the relative merits of the new sims. That is just a matter of getting a bit better solid information. That does not worry me. I am a whole lot more concerned for this community remaining viable, staying locked dead center and continuing to be home for the thousands distributed accross the whole entertainment flight sim world. Experience shows that to try to lockdown positive or negative expression, or to try and control discent by forbiding opposing expression of considered opinions by respected members within AVSIM, will backfire, big time, and really quickly. Shutting down the exciting new attention and enthusiasm just starting to being drawn to Prepar3D is a really, really bad idea. The future of AVSIM does not lie in the past but in the future built on the foundations we already have. Instead, why not swing open all the doors and let it all hang out. Otherwise we face hostility from all sides. Common sense guys, call up your mothers and get her to pack up a bigger lunchpail of common sense for tommorow please. Other organizations would like to split us all up so that they can get a bigger slice of the FORUM influence pie. Why let them bleed off membership and support from those who feel they have to move on to move up? Under Lockeed Martin Prepar3D is going to be huge, massive in our community, far bigger than FS9 and FSX ever were, combined. There is a lot at state, so please think straight and long term on this one and get it right. Please pardon me for taking the liberty of sincerly expressing things I think are a bit more important than the common petty quarrels Kind regards,

Microsoft sold the rights to their serious simulation platform 2 years ago.
A fact far too many here seem to sail right past all too often.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

A fact far too many here seem to sail right past all too often.
Microsoft sold the rights to their serious simulation platform 2 years ago.
Obviously you folks haven’t done the homework. LM licensed ESP from MS a long time ago, and it has been discussed ad nauseam here on AVSIM. The fundemental difference between ESP, P3D, and FSX is the EULA. The enterprise versions cost more - and gives you more rights. The FSX EULA forbids commercial use. Compare the three SDK’s they are identical. Both P3D and Flight have good opportunities to prosper. There is a cruel irony, what hardcore users and good managers would do to advance FSX is cut scope and focus on fundamentals – that’s what I see in Flight.

Plus, before you accuse Microsoft of selling out by making the next installment a "lite" title for the kiddies, don't forget that Austin Meyer did just that with XPlane for the iPhone and iPad. I'm sure he made quite a bit of dough on it.
This is simply not accurate. Austin "diversified" the X-Plane product range by adding applications for iOS; he didn't dumb down the next big version of X-Plane. So can we continue to accuse Microsoft of selling out now?

The real difference between P3D and FSX is that P3D is in development for the last 2 years based on over 25 years of flight simulationwhereas FSX has been dead in the water for almost 6 years now.
Jason the 25 years they are talking about is Mircosoft Flight Simulator mellow.pngWe're always criticizing MS management - but they recognized ESP wasn't their core business...it's LM's. So let's give them some credit for that call - it was a good one IMO.MS's simulation is for the entertainment market.LM's simulation is for the enterprise market.But remember it was the entertainment market that built it.It was that good that LM wanted it...and it's in Flight.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.