Sign in to follow this  
BoFrost

Engine start with external Air Supply

Hi Folk's, I have a problem starting the engines with ground air only. It is no problem to start up engine number 2. But when trying to start number 1, it will not success, because the air pressure only will come up to about 20 Psi, which is not enough.I tried several combinations with Isolation Valve in all positions. Only when I will put a little bit throttle on engine 2, the pressure will raise to about 30 Psi and it is possible to start number 1.I am still using the NGX in the RTM version, as I do not have any problems with this version.So is it a bug, or do I make something wrong ?Could some pleaase tell me how to start up with external Air ? Thanks

It was already posted, maybe a bug but I must try to see what it's wrong. Basically is wrong to start te engine 2 with ASU.... The ASU is connected on te right side of the plane, and the engine running can be dangerous for personnnel and equipment.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Ok, I tried...As I was supposing before, and noone replied to me with the info, the ASU goes to idle (so without supplying air) after the first engine start.The 20PSI you see is the pressure from the engine bleed.It is a correct procedure to cross start the engine, so ASU must be removed to do it.Bug? I think is a pmdg choice, it is not a good thing to start both from ASU. Maybe pmdg simulated the cart going in idle, that is a step needed before removing the ASU tube from the plane.Use cross engine start.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Thank you so much ! I could not find it in the documents.I will try it later on. Great community !

I found something in the QRH: 6 Crossbleed start:PACK switch (affected side) . . . . . . . OFFDUCT PRESSURE. . . . . . Minimum 30 PSIAdvance the thrust lever to increase duct pressure if needed.ENGINE START switch(affected engine). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .GRD So I was not to wrong, as I found out to give a little bit throttle to reach 30 PSI !

Pack switch both OFF, wit both off more air is avaiable for engine start.
Since the checklist he posted said "PACK switch (affected side)", I assume it refers to an engine restart in flight, meaning that you need to have at least 1 pack on to ensure pressurization. But, yes, if you do this on the ground, definitely both packs off.

Cristi Neagu

I found something in the QRH: 6 Crossbleed start:PACK switch (affected side) . . . . . . . OFFDUCT PRESSURE. . . . . . Minimum 30 PSIAdvance the thrust lever to increase duct pressure if needed.ENGINE START switch(affected engine). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .GRD So I was not to wrong, as I found out to give a little bit throttle to reach 30 PSI !
Don't look in the QRH for this. As pointed out previously, it's in the Supplemental Procedures.

Matt Cee

Hi, I'd say starting engine No.1 with ASU would be preferred unless you'd like to give some hard moments for the ground crew... :) And advancing the throttle for No.1 to about 40% N1 (or to get 30 PSI) is another thing I'd try if I were you. Just 2 hints I thought are useful.RgdsGabor

Packs - OffIsol.v. - ClosedEngine 2 S/W - GroundWhen engine 2 is up and running..Isol.v - OpenEngine 2 - spool up a lil bit (monitor psi.)When 30psi or above - Engine 1 S/W - Ground Ta-da!

Jefferson Santos
sbpa.png

This is wrong and dangerous for ground personnel and equipments.The n1 engine must be started first.Packs OFFIsol. Valve AUTO or OPEN (in auto position, the packs off will command isolation valve to open)Inform ground crew to power up te ASU output and verify if pressure on the left duct is present and above 30PSIEngine 1 knob GNDAt the right N2 or maximum motoring speed start lever up.Wait for starter cutout. In this moment you will see that te pressure in the pneumatic duct will decrease to the engine bleed value (if bleed is on) or to 0, but the ASU is still connected.Remove ASUNow, with the conditions above, just add power to the left engine and look at duct pressure. When sufficient start the engine number 2 normally, whatch the pressure in the duct and N2 to see if it is spooling up correctly.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

You shouldn't have to use a crossbleed start technique for the second engine start if the ground air connection is still available. There is a logic error in the pneumatic model as it is at present. As soon as one engine is running the model seems to want to use it as a source of air in preference to the ground supply even if the engine bleed switch is closed (which should not be possible). After starting the first engine, duct pressure recovers to about 36 psi. If the second engine is selected to ground start the duct pressure drops to zero. If you don't attempt the second start and the bleed valve of the running engine is opened the pressure drops to 20 psi (typical of bleed from an engine at idle). If that bleed valve is closed again the pressure drops to zero. Now the only way to get duct pressure from the ground source back is to shut down the engine. From a pneumatic model design point of view, the highest available source pressure should supply the pneumatic duct. So if the ground source is putting out 36 psi, the engine pressure of 20 psi should make little or no difference. If the engine bleed valve is closed there is no engine bleed pressure connection to the duct. Kevin Hall

ki9cAAb.jpg

I've checked your scenario wit starting the first engine with bleeds OFF. After maybe 2 seconds or 3 after te starter disengages the ASU pressure will be removed (so it's not linked to the second engine start).To me, as there is no error on the aircraft logic in this, (maybe we sould think about ASU logic now) it could be a choice.It is common use to start the second engine after pushback with cross engine start and limit te ASU start and usage times (ASU usage will cost more than fuel used for an engine).It is correct that to remove the ASU its pressure must be 0.But, if we want to start both engines wit ASU maybe we must have an option to do it. Something like cycle RMOVED-CONNECTED on the CDU.However, is not a bug, is a choice.PMDG can help us by explaining what they did.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

I've checked your scenario wit starting the first engine with bleeds OFF. After maybe 2 seconds or 3 after te starter disengages the ASU pressure will be removed (so it's not linked to the second engine start).To me, as there is no error on the aircraft logic in this, (maybe we sould think about ASU logic now) it could be a choice.It is common use to start the second engine after pushback with cross engine start and limit te ASU start and usage times (ASU usage will cost more than fuel used for an engine).It is correct that to remove the ASU its pressure must be 0.But, if we want to start both engines wit ASU maybe we must have an option to do it. Something like cycle RMOVED-CONNECTED on the CDU.However, is not a bug, is a choice.PMDG can help us by explaining what they did.
Once the running engine is producing bleed pressure the ASU pressure disappears. But the ASU hasn't been disconnected, as you assume, since if the engine is shutdown ASU pressure reappears. This is a simulator and as long as the ASU is selected it should supply pressure. If your airline's SOP is to start one engine using the ASU then you should disconnect the ASU after the first start. Why should users have to reconnect the ASU for the second engine start?It is a bug, but may not be an easy one to fix.Kevin Hall

ki9cAAb.jpg