Sign in to follow this  
Goair-18

Sometimes work pays :-) (New pc) Are these specs ok?

That doesn't mean Sandy Bridge will be left out
Of course not. But its microsoft. Flight (most likely) won't have hyperthreading support, meaning the 2500K will be just as good as the 2600K for it

Very recently built myself one Danny...Asus p8p67 deluxe motherboard, 2500k cpu, 550ti gpu, 500Gb hybrid drive, 128Gb ssd, case and 650w psu, dvd drive, 8Gb memory (2x4Gb), wireless card and H60 cooler - £850 the lot.Obviously you'd need to add Win7 64bit and a monitor if needed but that, at most, would add maybe £200.Even at stock it outperforms my i7 860 pc with 260+ fps using the default flight on unlimited (fsx on ssd is a real joy to load).Yet to overclock it yet as I like to run it for a bit to make sure the build is stable but will go to at least 4Ghz later.John Ellison

Of course not. But its microsoft. Flight (most likely) won't have hyperthreading support, meaning the 2500K will be just as good as the 2600K for it
Why would Microsoft not add it?

I really doubt any simulator could effectively use 8 threads. All the processes are too interdependent, which kills the efficiency of hyperthreading (or multi-core in general).

Hey Alan thats what i thought. I forgot to add the board has built in wireless and also a blue-ray player and dvd rewriter. Cant wait to test it out friday when i pick it up. Just gotta re-install fsx amongst a hell of alot more add-ons Cry.gif . Im just thinking now how far i can push the sliders up!! biggrin.png . Will i have any trouble installing my ngx onto it as it will be a different computer???
You can install the NGX just fine on your new computer, it'll just ask you to activate it again, although you probably should delete it off your old one to be entirely kosher. You computer is very similar to an HP desktop which I have, although I changed the PSU from the stock HP one and slung an ATI card in it. As some have noted, it is true that the motherboard and RAM is probably not the best you could get in terms of playing around, but to be honest you could swap both those out for less than 150 quid at some point if you really felt the need to overclock. In any case the later generation Sandy Bridge i7s don't really need to be overclocked to get decent performance out of FSX, so it is something of a moot point, at least until you stick so many add-ons in FSX that you feel you do need to overclock, and it would have to be a lot of things you'd have added to make that a desperate need. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating, and I can confidently predict that with no changes whatsoever, the computer you have bought will run FSX at a level that you will be more than happy with. With a similar computer to yours, as mine is, I get about 60 fps average in the NGX with all the sliders pretty much maxed out (airliners on 50 percent being about the only one not over all the way). On stock FSX aircraft, it's up near the 100 mark for FPS, which is getting close to what FS9 will do with a payware airliner: 2011-9-16_19-24-51-372.jpg Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

How in the world do you think you know what Flight will or will not have?? No-one knows anything anout it!!!

How in the world do you think you know what Flight will or will not have?? No-one knows anything anout it!!!
1) that was a supposition, she didn't state it as fact.2) multithreading isn't as simple as flipping an "enable" switch. The majority of applications can't effectively use 8 threads because the processes are too interdependent. One is always waiting on another to finish before it can proceed.Edit: there would be an advantage, but nowhere near what people think/expect. Very few types of programs out there could actually keep 8 cores busy.

Also then man at pc world was telling me its better to ...
If the man at PC world knew anything about computers, he wouldn't still be working at PC world. :)

If the man at PC world knew anything about computers, he wouldn't still be working at PC world. :)
Now that, I certainly do agree with LOL.gif Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here