Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Need Your Help Please?

Didn't really know where to post this, but guess here is pretty close... I'd be really grateful if any of you guys can help me with this... I'm trying to transfer some really good aircraft sounds I recorded (from Cassette) on a few prop flights I did some years back, to my PC. It's proving harder than I thought. I have an Asus Xonar PCI sound card installed, and the motherboard sound disabled. There's a Creative 2.1 sound system attached, with it's own 'line-in' socket on the volume control. If I plug-in the cassette deck to that, it plays the tape directly through the speakers, so I know the output is fine. When plugging in to the line-in on the sound card though, I get nothing. I've tried as many settings as can be found, making sure the Asus card is set as default device etc and, that the channel is not muted. This is driving me crazy - anyone got any ideas? Thanks

Guest jahman

I would recommend trying to record the sound to a digital stereo .wav file on your HDD first, then any playback provblems would be automatically solved, plus you would have an archive quality file (old tapes/cassettes degrade over time as thy lose the oxide coating during playback). Cheers, - jahman.

I would recommend trying to record the sound to a digital stereo .wav file on your HDD first, then any playback provblems would be automatically solved, plus you would have an archive quality file (old tapes/cassettes degrade over time as thy lose the oxide coating during playback). Cheers, - jahman.
I really don't understand what you mean. I thought that's exactly what I am trying to do, only without success. I can't get my PC/Sound card to accept the input from the cassette machine.

Guest jahman

OK, I thought maybe you were trying to play the cassette through to the speakers without recording. 1. Is this the documentation for your card? 2. Are you using the Xonar Audio Center to record (p, 26)? 3. According to "7. Troubleshooting" (p.41):

I cannot hear audio input (Mic, Line-in, AUX, etc.) from my speakersInstructions:1. Go to the mixer recording page in the Audio Center and select the correctinput as the recording source. If you are using Windows Vista, also go tosystem audio control panel to see the current default recording/input device isright.2. Remember to turn on the digital monitoring button for that recording source.
Cheers, - jahman.

Hi Jahman and many thanks for your obvious investigation into my issue. That is not actually my card. Mine is the Xonar DG, but from what I can see, they are very similar. I haven't yet even been able to get the card input to play through the PC itself, never mind record onto the HDD. The sound will play DIRECTLY through the external Creative Amp and speakiers, when connected to that, just not via the sound card. I'm begfinning to wonder if the card is faulty.

What is your Line In volume ? Have you checked that ? I had a similar problem recently when connecting my Electric Guitar to the line-in so I could record using Audacity , but then it worked later.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Guest jahman
Hi Jahman and many thanks for your obvious investigation into my issue. That is not actually my card. Mine is the Xonar DG, but from what I can see, they are very similar. I haven't yet even been able to get the card input to play through the PC itself, never mind record onto the HDD. The sound will play DIRECTLY through the external Creative Amp and speakiers, when connected to that, just not via the sound card. I'm begfinning to wonder if the card is faulty.
You're welcome. Even if your card is a different Xonar model, it likely uses the same software driver, so line-in volume needs to be turned up and line-in monitoring needs to be activated to enable recording (a separate step). I am at a loss though in terms of visualizing your Creative Audio setup and how it is interconnected with (or interferes with) your Xonar audio card. Cheers, - jahman.

You're welcome. Even if your card is a different Xonar model, it likely uses the same software driver, so line-in volume needs to be turned up and line-in monitoring needs to be activated to enable recording (a separate step). I am at a loss though in terms of visualizing your Creative Audio setup and how it is interconnected with (or interferes with) your Xonar audio card. Cheers, - jahman.
The Creative system just acts like a separate amp 2.1 system. It's a separately powered 2.1 system, simply connected directly to the sound card's output. It had a separate volume control unit, which also houses it's own headphone and input jacks (3.5mm). Means I can plug any MP3 player etc into it, without having to have the PC on. The software is indeed the same, and it's setup correctly as you describe. I can hear the occasional millisecond of distorted noise coming though, but that's all. I'll probably give up on it. thanks though.