Hey. I guess this is an update to my previous "2600k Max safe temp" thread I posted earlier. I settled for 4.7ghz for a while, but I just couldn't resist going for 4.8. Maybe it was because everyone else seems to be running that setting, or maybe because it's an even number ;) So anyway, with HT on, the temps were always a bit high for the vcore (1.415)I needed to run 4.8, but then I reseated the heatsink to make it blow in air from the side and push it out the side fan rather then down-up which I had previously run. The temperature decreased by a little bit and I seemed to be able to run prime95 without having my core temps reach 80c so I was quite satisfied. Now I've run into another problem though, I pass prime95 and IBT, but I get both the "vcore-bsod's" like 101 and 124 and also a more exotic one called MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION 0x0000009c. All of these BSOD's I get while the CPU is idle or I'm surfing etc. How come I pass really stressfull tests like intel burn test and prime95 but I crash when idle? If I don't reach 80c in prime95, could I just up the vcore by +0.05/0.1v or should I abandon the 4.8ghz goal and just run 4.7ghz where I'm stable at about 0.3v lower? sasasdasdasdasd asaaaaTh sadaasdasasdasdasassadassadasdasasdassssssad

Guest jahman

Start by turning HT off: It doesn't do anything for FSX except generate heat thus lowering your max OC. Cheers, - jahman.

Yeah, I'll try that. Sorry about the jibberish at the end, don't know how that happened :) So it is confirmed that HT does not provide anything to FSX performance? EDIT: One other question, if I can boot into windows without PLL Overvolt but I bsod while doing stresstesting/idling, should I enable it or is it only for hitting the multiplier wall, i.e not being able to boot past windows icon?

Guest jahman

FSX uses a single core for the sim engine (the other three are used only for scenery loading) so doubling the number of cores can hardly increase FSX performance. Cheers, - jahman.

Agreed. For FSX, HT disabled.And at those clocks, CPU PLL Overvoltage, Enabled

Agreed. For FSX, HT disabled.And at those clocks, CPU PLL Overvoltage, Enabled
I was able to reach 4.8 at 1.400v 11h prime95 blend stable, IBT stable. No crashes while running applications, playing games etc. PLL Overvolt was disabled though, didn't see your reply before now Dario.After about 1-2 days, this morning, I start up my computer and let it do its post and when I come back it just shuts down. Believing it is a power outage I flip the lights in the room, but they work. I check the orange light on my surge protector: it's lit. I turn on my computer again but when windows is booting up I get a bluescreen 124. What the h*ll? I increase the voltage to 1.410v but i can't get past the windows logo. Trying Offset Vcore gets me as far as the desktop but I bsod after a couple of seconds. Not before I decrease my OC to 4.7Ghz can I stably get into windows. So, has my CPU actually decayed after 2 days of running 1.4v never exceeding 80c?

Don't worry, it's extremely unlikely that it's degrading already.Try upping your Vccio (max 1.2V)or downclocking your RAM to rule out memory being the limiting factor at those speeds But I would settle for 4.7GHz at that Vcore TBH. Not worth the hassle for just another 100MHz

Don't worry, it's extremely unlikely that it's degrading already.Try upping your Vccio (max 1.2V)or downclocking your RAM to rule out memory being the limiting factor at those speeds But I would settle for 4.7GHz at that Vcore TBH. Not worth the hassle for just another 100MHz
2% decrease in performance or so, right? I think I'll stay with 4.7Ghz for now. With HT on 1.370 was rock stable, with HT off I can probably decrease the volt a little if I wanted to get the lowest possible heat. Btw, any reason for me to turn on HT again, now that I'm at 4.7?

No use for HT if FSX is all you are running. Will you be using your PC for any CPU intensive and heavily threaded tasks like video encoding, rendering, etc...?If not, you can leave it off. If you need it you can always save an OC profile in your BIOS with HT enabled

Lol. I couldn't resist trying the tips you gave before so I went into my bios, raised multi to 48, VCCIO to 1.18-something (two notches up from standard), Vcore to 1.405, PLL Overvoltage: Enabled and have just completed 5 runs of IBT on max. With temps never reaching 80c, but close. But how do I stresstest the CPU for these random startup/idle bsod's? Last time I had run Prime95 for eleven hours and IBT, and also Hyperpi 32M, all those were successful, but my comp still crashed on startup 2 days after. EDIT: If my RAM are the culprit, does that mean I won't be able to run them at rated or 2133mhz-speeds? Kinda sucks running OC-ram at 1333/1600mhz.

Lol. I couldn't resist trying the tips you gave before so I went into my bios, raised multi to 48, VCCIO to 1.18-something (two notches up from standard), Vcore to 1.405, PLL Overvoltage: Enabled and have just completed 5 runs of IBT on max. With temps never reaching 80c, but close. But how do I stresstest the CPU for these random startup/idle bsod's? Last time I had run Prime95 for eleven hours and IBT, and also Hyperpi 32M, all those were successful, but my comp still crashed on startup 2 days after. EDIT: If my RAM are the culprit, does that mean I won't be able to run them at rated or 2133mhz-speeds? Kinda sucks running OC-ram at 1333/1600mhz.
You could run them at 1866MHz, or loosen the timings, or try pumping your Vdimm a little bit and see if that helps. Is your RAM rated at 1.5V?

You could run them at 1866MHz, or loosen the timings, or try pumping your Vdimm a little bit and see if that helps. Is your RAM rated at 1.5V?
I have the exact same RAM as Cmeeks so I was thinking of trying to run them at the same speed and timing as he is: 2133 (9-11-10-28-1T). Stock settings are 2000 (9-10-9-27-2T). Rated at 1.65. EDIT: One more question, right now I have my vcore at a manual 1.405v but I see a lot of guys on here using offset. What is the reason for this? Could it be more stable in regards to my idle bsod (I saw Cmeeks had a similar problem and upped his offset to + 0.04)? When I tried using offset it seemed to go higher than manual even at a low +0.025 (LLC Ultra high). With + 0.025 it went over 1.410 and with + 0.04 sometimes went up to 1.425 and temps seemed higher than with manual, I'm guessing because with vdroop my vcore sometimes goes down to 1.38 in IBT.

I have the exact same RAM as Cmeeks so I was thinking of trying to run them at the same speed and timing as he is: 2133 (9-11-10-28-1T). Stock settings are 2000 (9-10-9-27-2T). Rated at 1.65. EDIT: One more question, right now I have my vcore at a manual 1.405v but I see a lot of guys on here using offset. What is the reason for this? Could it be more stable in regards to my idle bsod (I saw Cmeeks had a similar problem and upped his offset to + 0.04)? When I tried using offset it seemed to go higher than manual even at a low +0.025 (LLC Ultra high). With + 0.025 it went over 1.410 and with + 0.04 sometimes went up to 1.425 and temps seemed higher than with manual, I'm guessing because with vdroop my vcore sometimes goes down to 1.38 in IBT.
About the RAM limiting your OC, I think it's worth testing just to be sure, but it's not so likely in SB as in previous generations where RAM often was the limiting factor.Offset is used to enable C1E & SpeedStep, the power saving modes that slow down the CPU and lower the Vcore when it's idleWith LLC at Ultra High you should have no Vdroop, the lower Vcore you see is probably C1E kicking in. it will adjust Vcore as a function of CPU load. The higher the load, the higher the Vcore

About the RAM limiting your OC, I think it's worth testing just to be sure, but it's not so likely in SB as in previous generations where RAM often was the limiting factor.Offset is used to enable C1E & SpeedStep, the power saving modes that slow down the CPU and lower the Vcore when it's idleWith LLC at Ultra High you should have no Vdroop, the lower Vcore you see is probably C1E kicking in. it will adjust Vcore as a function of CPU load. The higher the load, the higher the Vcore
Thanks Dario. The dropping vcore happens while stresstesting at full load, with manual vcore, and its steady at idle. I thought this was because of vdroop? Anyway, I tried OC:ing my RAM to the speeds and timings I wrote earlier, but I recieved an error in memtest at the second pass. VDIMM = 1.65How can I solve this? Thanks in advance