Sign in to follow this  
benpilot

G/S indicator disappears

Hi folks,on my last (manual) ILS approaches, I noticed that after I had captured the glideslope, the whole vertical glideslope indicator on the PFD disappeared. I continued the approach with the glideslope indicator on the backup instruments....Is this a possible bug?Had anyone this problem too? Regards,Ben

Ben can you get a screenshot of this? Are you sure you didn't just see the RNP navigation performance scale disappear when you transitioned from VNAV to G/S mode? That's normal if so.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

It can happen that you loose the GS signal when someting on the ground blocks the ILS signal. This is even said in the FCTM. But if your standby instruments still optian the information it may really be a bug. It would anyway be helpful if you could send us a screenshot of your panel during the approach after you've lost the signal. Maybe we can find a fault you've made which can cause this.

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

Wow, that was fast Ryan Shocked.gifI'll take a screenshot as soon as possible (tomorrow after school) and upload it in this thread!

Interesting. I believe I saw this happen to me once. Unfortunately I dont remember where or when so I am of no use on this. It has not happened since so I have not thought anymore of it.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

I've encountered the exact same issue before, thought it was just something I missed and not a bug before seeing this thread. I couldn't recall if the G/S indicator is still showing on the backup instruments, anyway here's the video if you're interested :

Ben can you get a screenshot of this? Are you sure you didn't just see the RNP navigation performance scale disappear when you transitioned from VNAV to G/S mode? That's normal if so.
Here's the screenshot.Moments before the magenta diamond was still there...

It can happen that you loose the GS signal when someting on the ground blocks the ILS signal. This is even said in the FCTM....
It can happen in real life, but it can not happen in FSX. ILS signals are unblockable in FSX, and they never fail either

Hi Ben I had a similar problem, and searching the forum I found that the course window on the autopilot panel has to be within 90 degrees of the heading, from you screen shot that may be the problem. Steve

Steve Merriman

There must be an ILS frequency issue here. The course selection on the MCP reads 86 and the heading on the HSI is 226 (or close to those numbers anyway). DME is not reporting either.

That was the problem. I didn't know that the course window has to be within 90 degrees of the runway heading.That's Karlsruhe Baden-Baden (EDSB) and the runway heading is 211.After that flight I flew on radial 243 to VOR TGO next to the runway 25 (heading 253) of Stuttgart EDDS and.... it worked! But may it be a little bug that the backup instruments show the ILS correctly? Thanks a lot to all of you! Regards,Ben

A very nice manual landing !! & video. The only things I noticed were you did not set your missed approach altitude after glideslope capture ( very dangerous to have it at 0 )and your inbound heading at localizer capture.Both would be need for a missed approach !! Jason.
Thanks for checking my vid and your kind words :) I definitely forgotten the preparation for a missed approach.. gotta make sure they don't get missed again! Oh and does anyone know why its not showing the G/S mark? I remember both CRS have been setup correctly to the data provided from the FMC.

Regarding the pic ! The Approach Reference in the upper left corner of the PFD is Amber !!!This means that the Captains and FO's frequencies disagree. See FCOM Vol 2 page 530................Approach Reference. I also notice from the pic that you are landing at the REF speed.If you parked the speed bug on top of the REF number it will give you REF + 5which is the recommended landing speed.
Thanks for the advice Jason!I didn't use the FO's course selector because I've turned FO's displays off to save fps (I double checked the frequencies and wondered why it's still amber)...And I don't use Vref + 5 because even with Vref I've got problems with getting this bird down.But this issue will be corrected with SP1 :) Ben