Sign in to follow this  
geomikknew

ILS Landing problem

You would only do that in an emergency flight manual permitting for something like an emergency depressurisation dive.
Certainly not. You wanna go down fast during an emergency descent, so flight at VMO/MMO is performed for a reason (check your manuals). No margin for gear extension whatsoever here.sig.gif

Certainly not. You wanna go down fast during an emergency descent, so flight at VMO/MMO is performed for a reason (check your manuals). No margin for gear extension whatsoever here.sig.gif
It depends on the a/c some are allowed to do it some not!!
I can see you feel strongly about this. What are you basing your thoughts on? Are you saying you can't extend the landing gear at 250 knots? What are you seeing that is unsafe?
I can see you feel strongly about this. What are you basing your thoughts on? Are you saying you can't extend the landing gear at 250 knots? What are you seeing that is unsafe?
Extending the landing gear at high speeds causes a huge amount of drag. Think about it!!For each a/c there exists different speed schedules properly placarded in the respective manuals. Extending gear at high speeds is a risky manouvre and can be done only in exceptional circumstances.vololiberista

It depends on the a/c some are allowed to do it some not!!
Well yeah, but this is pretty much NG talk here...sig.gif

It depends on the a/c some are allowed to do it some not!!Extending the landing gear at high speeds causes a huge amount of drag. Think about it!!For each a/c there exists different speed schedules properly placarded in the respective manuals. Extending gear at high speeds is a risky manouvre and can be done only in exceptional circumstances.vololiberista
Don't exceed limitations and recommendations and you're okay. I've done it plenty of times and it's not an emergency situation. I don't know what planes you've flown before (or if) but you can drop the gear at 250 on the 737.Oh, and extending the gear creates a huge amount of drag - that's the idea. Slow the plane down.

Matt Cee

Hmm, I'm a bit confused now as I got the impression that the NGX even starts diving if your are a bit high on the GS. Am I wrong?

Regards,
Axel

Did another flight yesterday evening from LIMC - EHAM. ILS 18C requested and got assigned.Since i was again very lightweighted my REF speed was 122 kts.I was aligned with localizer about 10 miles out. AP picked up correctly. I was low on G/S (diamond above middle).Altitude as per atc 2000 ft.When intercepting the G/S the FMC turned green and the plane started to descent. I kept my speed at 122. Although the diamond stayed correctly centered i noticed i was high through the use of HUGS. (the bullet was not pointing to threshold).Wind was something like 190/2 knots (so no real impact/problem). I took her off A/P and managed to get her in properly but what is going here?It seems i am the only one having this problem so logic dictates me i am doing something wrong. But what.I will see if i can capture a vid of this symptom and place it on youtube but have to figure out how to do that. Never done that before. Capturing a image is not a problem but i guess this will not properly show the symptom

Hmm, I'm a bit confused now as I got the impression that the NGX even starts diving if your are a bit high on the GS. Am I wrong?
That was the point of my original post. The A/P will follow the G/S, regardless of speed. You won't simply "go high" because you're fast.

Matt Cee

Not capturing the glideslope is a bug and should be fixed in SP1b (I hope). There was a post about it a couple of weeks ago where one of the PMDG team (Ryan I think) advised they were working on a fix. The only reliable way to capture the glideslope at present is to select an ILS approach in the FMC then all works fine.Ian

Ian Friend

MOBO: Asus P8P67-LE P67 (B3) | CPU: Intel i5 2500K O/C 4.5Ghz | Corsair Hydro H100i CPU Cooler | RAM: Kingston Hyperx 8GB 1600 MHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 | HDD1: Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD | HDD2: WD6400AAKS 640GB | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Not capturing the glideslope is a bug and should be fixed in SP1b (I hope). There was a post about it a couple of weeks ago where one of the PMDG team (Ryan I think) advised they were working on a fix. The only reliable way to capture the glideslope at present is to select an ILS approach in the FMC then all works fine.Ian
I'm afraid not sadly. Had two failed GS captures the other day in identical circumstances to all the other landings I've done. Aircraft simply flew through the GS and didn't descend. Roll on SP1b!

To the OP, before you engage the APP on the MCP, do you have CMD B on at the same time as CMD A?
Shouldn't be able to have both A and B without APP armed or engaged.

Matt Cee

Could be an Issue, could be not.I did 17 landings with NGX and never had a problem.You can see them in my channel.

I did 17 landings with NGX and never had a problem.
Typical noob luck.:( I'm joking

I think a lot of this stuff may be AFCAD issues.I tried to land in Vegas the other day. Both diamonds were perfectly centered and the plane was descending, but the ball in the HUGS stayed at the far end of the runway. I was on a perfect glide path for the buildings on the other end of the runway.I have more trouble landing in Vegas than anywhere else. Orlando seems to do some strange stuff too sometimes. Does anyone know any good Vegas add-on scenery?