Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbolt44

Localizer Course Changes Itself

Both of these are completely incorrect. It does affect the localizer deviation and we do read the actual ILS course out of the BGL.
Er, what?!A localizer is fixed on a given heading. Changing the course set on the HSI of any other aircraft I've ever come across has never had an effect on localizer deviation. Is the 737 different?Remember, I'm talking about deviation, not the heading of the pointer on the ND compass rose.

Er, what?! A localizer is fixed on a given heading. Changing the course set on the HSI of any other aircraft I've ever come across has never had an effect on localizer deviation. Is the 737 different? Remember, I'm talking about deviation, not the heading of the pointer on the ND compass rose.
You are correct about the logic behind normal ILS pointers. The ILS doesn't know about your selection in CRS, ILS receiver in AC only gets two localizer beams and compares them and gives you the deviation, at least on normal AC only reason why you put LOC CRS into HSI or whatever is that it is easier to fly when your needles are straight. I find it a bit weird that 737 would act differently, where does it get it's deviation data if not from localizer beams...?

so thus with this bug if you want to callit, what would befo now the current solution. For example I am approaching JFK from the south and this happens in all directions, and I get runway 13l, I don't even come close,its like as I am landing on runaway 4l. do we stop running it in the cdu or not don't even put t in once you getyour landing assignmnet.

Assuming you disabled auto set course.One of the possible solutions (if you dont want to pause the sim to check the FSX map), is to set your best guess into the course settings, typically your current heading once your quite parallel to runway heading. Then you see if your too much left or right of the needles, which means your not tracking the ILS correctly. If your too left of the runway, increase course until the needle is centred. And the other way for right. At least this works for me 'on the go' for now. Adjust both pilot and co pilot if your doing the CAT3 autoland. Of course you have to confirm that your not landing at an offset ILS, but a runway parallel one that isnt working so correctly.Offset ILS- your needles are centered and you're flying at an awkward angle.Problem ILS- you're flying at an awkward angle, loc needle never completely centred, no matter how long you wait. Depending on how badly screwed the FSX data is, you can have ILS 'errors' that you barely notice, to ones where you'll land on the grass. Marcus Jian

Wow, I never dreamed I would get so many comments. After reading through them this morning, I just followed JasonG's advise and turned the FSX LOC Crse to OFF. Right on the center line with no problems. Thanks guys, Mike Nicholson