Sign in to follow this  

Spin Recovery Chute

Can the spin recovery chute be deployed whilst the 'flight test package' is installed onto the NGX? I really want to try it...

Inactive

Uuum. I'm not sure about this one. Is there really a BRS on the test aircraft? If youre reffering to the drogue chute on the tail of the test aircraft, I don't think that would even save a 1/4 scale rc Cub from a spin. tongue.png

Can the spin recovery chute be deployed whilst the 'flight test package' is installed onto the NGX? I really want to try it...
No. Since when did 737s carry spin recovery chutes?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

If in fact your reffering to the "Drogue" chute on the tail of the test aircraft, that is solely for testing air data. Pressure, temp and static air pressure I believe. That little chute would do absolutely no good as a spin recovery device. It may ensure a safe return of your cell phone to earth in the event of an terminal spin!. tongue.png

I'd hate to spin a 737. Whew.gif
I'd hate to be in the position of having to recover a spinning 737! Seatbelt?....Check......Butt kissed?.....Check.........didn't have the fish?..........Ummmmm....

The thing you see on tail of the PMDG 737 NG test package is an air data sensor deployed to the rear of the aircraft by a small drogue 'chute, in order to pull the data sensor clear of any differences in air pressure that are dynamically generated by the airframe, essentially putting the sensor in 'clear air' so that its readings can be used to calibrate instruments accurately. It's very small and doesn't cause much drag at all, just enough to pull the sensor out away from the airflow off the vertical stabiliser fin. As far as I know there are no large airliners that have had spin-recovery 'chutes used on them, plenty of fighters have, here's a pic of one fitted to an F-16 during research, although some fighters do have them more permanently 'built in': http://www.dfrc.nasa...l/ECN-22193.jpg Someone mentioned BRS chutes, but spin recovery chutes should not be confused with ballistic recovery system chutes of the kind found on small GA aircraft such as the Cirrus and others as an option, which are intended to deliver the entire aircraft safely to the ground in an emergency, as opposed to spin recovery chutes, which get the aircraft in a reasonably stable condition if they are in a deep stall or flat spin or some other condition where the control surfaces would not normally be able to effect a recovery, whereupon the chute is then jettisoned and normal flight resumed. Some fighters have on occasion used their braking chutes to come out of a spin in an emergency, even though that is not really what a braking chute is for. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here