Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

EditVoicePack question

I have been looking through the tutorial but can't see how to do what I want - maybe someone could say if it is possible, and if so how? I fly quite a lot to Vienna, LOWW and am always irritated by the pronunciation of 'Wien' as 'Ween' (w instead of v). In the air, the English is used, Vienna. Is there a way to delete the 'ween' sound and to ensure that FS9 always uses the English 'Vienna' option? Or I could create a wav file with the correct German pronunciation to act as a substitute. Also (minor niggle!) the way ATC stress 'TyROlea'n instead of 'TyroLEan'. Or is the former an American way of saying the word? Is that editable? I'll live somehow if I not I guess, but ... I am OK adding missing sounds using EVP, but never sure how to correct files that come with FS9 - I assume it is possible?Thanks, Martin

I am OK adding missing sounds using EVP, but never sure how to correct files that come with FS9 - I assume it is possible?
I'm not sure why you can't establish this from the tutorial but if you create a revised sound for an existing file in the same way you create a new one you can select whether to over-ride the original or use both (randomly). John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Well maybe I just missed that bit of the tutorial - but I don't recall ever being given the option to over-ride the original in EVP. I will try this ASAP and post back. Thanks for the help. M.

Well maybe I just missed that bit of the tutorial - but I don't recall ever being given the option to over-ride the original in EVP. I will try this ASAP and post back. Thanks for the help.
There's a tick box top right on the screen - "Force Variation". John

This is perfectly possible - see "Correcting a default Flight Simulator entry" in the EVP help file. I've tried to do something similar with French names in a simulated French accent - eg "Paris" sounding like "Paree" and "Reims" rhyming more or less with "dance" - thus creating something similar to the different PFE voice sets on the cheap. So far it's proved impossible to create an EVP modification that gets the accent right (the French guttural R sound is especially tricky). But "Wien" in authentic German should be a lot simpler.

There's a tick box top right on the screen - "Force Variation". Oh, that's what that means!! I need to look at the the tutorial again - I thought I knew it. Clearly not.. Thanks. see "Correcting a default Flight Simulator entry" I don't think I can have been consulting the full tutorial - I didn't see any reference to this in the ones in the EVP folder (or I wouldn't have needed to post this, I'm usually fairly self-sufficient, FS9-wise!). Will look at the help files I get from within EVP itself. As a German speaker (not native, but reasonably OK), the 'w' instead of 'v' sound in Wien really bugs me, so that'll be my first fix! (Better though that I change it to 'Vienna' if I can (is that as simple?) - why would anyone say 'Wien', even with the right pronunciation, when the rest of the ATC conversation is in English?). Will post back if I still don't get it!! Thank you. M.

I'm in EVP and I really do need some more help with this. Sorry. I would like to get rid of 'Ween' altogether and have ATC on the ground use the English 'Vienna: not 'Ween' or even 'Veen' - 'Vienna' is far more consistent. I don't think I need to create a variant 'Vienna' do I? ATC uses 'Vienna' once I am airborne, so the sound is already there. How do I get IFR Clearance to use this too, and get rid of the 'ween' option altogether? (It's only IFR Clearance that always uses 'Ween' I think). If someone could give me a bit of a 'step by step' guide, that'd be really great. I am not sure whether to select ICAO in Custom Modifications, or what .... Thanks again.

Maybe you have to change the prescripion of the various atc cannels in the AFCAD. They could be written as "Wien" intead of "Vienna". I don´t know, just a shot in the dark... In the default AFCAD LOWW clerance is stated as "Wien delivery". I try to change this to Vienna and report back.

Maybe you have to change the prescripion of the various atc cannels in the AFCAD. They could be written as "Wien" intead of "Vienna". I don´t know, just a shot in the dark... In the default AFCAD LOWW clerance is stated as "Wien delivery". I try to change this to Vienna and report back.
Well, there´s no problem with the default AFCAD. ATC says Vienna on ground and airborne.

Well I definitely I get 'Ween' when contacting ground ATC for IFR clearance, then 'Vienna' when I contact again for permission to taxi. Maybe you could try it with an IFR flight loaded? - I have just tested this again to be 100% certain on a default FS9 installation so I am pretty sure you must get the same thing as me - unless you have something installed that overrides the default ATC of course. That sound file must be there in the default FS9 sound files then. But I am not sure how to find that sound in EVP. Will have to search some more - there's no entry for Austria under ICAO/Europe. M.

Well I definitely I get 'Ween' when contacting ground ATC for IFR clearance, then 'Vienna' when I contact again for permission to taxi. Maybe you could try it with an IFR flight loaded? - I have just tested this again to be 100% certain on a default FS9 installation so I am pretty sure you must get the same thing as me - unless you have something installed that overrides the default ATC of course.
In FS there are two definitions for airport names - Agent Names and ICAO. You can update either in Editvoicepack but if you only update the Agent Name then some functions in the FS ATC procedure will still use the default recording. I think this may be your problem. On the other hand, if you update the ICAO, Editvoicepack will automatically update the Agent Name to match. So normally you will only need to update the ICAO recording. From http://www.editvoice...com/readme.html :
In most cases it is enough to create an ICAO modification as EditVoicepack automatically will write an agent modification. The agent will use the phrase as identifier, meaning the Com Frequency Name in AFCAD must match the phrase in EditVoicepack to work.
John

Just a follow-up note to the above . . . Thinking further, some large FS airports have a range of Agent Names allocated by FS, e.g. VIENNA APPROACH, VIENNA RADAR etc etc. I'm not quite sure why they did this because it only duplicates things. What I described above will only work with those assigned as VIENNA. There are two solutions to this (if it affects your airport) and that is:

1. Change them all to read the airport's basic name (VIENNA)
  2. Create new Agent Names in EVP for each, which must be written exactly as in your AF2, AFX etc file. This isn't difficult because having created one you can just right-click, duplicate, and adjust the name.

I notice in the default airport that Clearance Delivery is the only non-standard one. (FSS is listed as WIEN but that isn't used). That may be your problem area? In this case I'd just change it to VIENNA and be done with it. John

No, I haven't the faintest idea when I get to EVP. I can't find any sound that comes out as 'Ween' - there is one that is 'Veen', which is OK, but I never hear it is FS9. I don't know what I am supposed to be editing or where the files are - the 'Correcting a default Flight Simulator entry' in the tutorial is just 6 lines long and doesn't give me any leads at all. I think I'll just have to accept 'Ween' - I've just spent days trying to solve a CTD (successfully in the end) and don't have the patience right now to go floundering about looking for solutions in areas I don't understand. Thanks anyway. M.

Did you listen to "Veen" in all 10 voices? Perhaps one or two of those are saying "Ween" instead. Those would be the ones you would need to change. Or just find "Vienna" and use that sound clip for all the Veens - then they will say Vienna. Use Force Variation if you need to.