Sign in to follow this  
rspring94

Line Up The Runway

HiWhenever i create a flight plan from anywhere to anywhere, it never lines me up with the runway. It gives me an angled approach. Quite simply, WHY??? Anyone know a fix?I can post some screenies if needed Please Reply ASAP

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

QF147: SYD-AKL (ZK-ZQG)

27-5-2018

EK413: CHC-SYD (A6-EUI)

Unless you do something such as, take off from runway 09 and fly directly East to another airport perfectly in line with your departure airport, which also happens to have a runway 09, and there is no wind at all and no traffic in the pattern whatsoever, then it's never going to. What you need to do is either use air traffic control to line you up for approach vectors, or use an approach STAR (Standard Terminal Arrival Route) to get you lined up, or add a waypoint manually to your plan that will take you to the extended centreline of the runway, or fly a circuit visually, or use your instruments to do an automated landing of some kind, such as an ILS approach. Typically, you will be flying out to a point some 15 miles out from the extended centreline of the runway, which is where you then turn for the airport to make your approach. ATC will set that up for you if you use it. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Simply put, a flight plan does not include an 'appoach segment', you need to select an approach for the runway you aew landing on. If you are using FSX default planes, press the PROC button on the GPS for options.

Jay

I think what he is seeing is the final vector for an ILS approach, which is usually on a 30 degree angle, he probably doesn't realize or know how to setup for an ILS approach. My suggestion is for him to go to youtube and search for "FSX ILS Tutorial" There are plenty of them! I did one myself a couple of years ago for default or non-complex aircraft.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest jahman
HiWhenever i create a flight plan from anywhere to anywhere, it never lines me up with the runway. It gives me an angled approach. Quite simply, WHY??? Anyone know a fix?I can post some screenies if needed Please Reply ASAP
Quite simply because at the time you file your flight plan (or even at the time you take-off) you do not have 100% certainty of the active runway in use at your destination airport. The "missing link" is the STAR (and "transition" the entry waypoint for the STAR). Cheers, - jahman.

Ar the risk of starting yet another internet argument, the STAR has nothing to do with his problem. A STAR is a arrival procedure, not an approach procedure. He says his FLIGHT PLAN is not lining him up, which it is not designed to do, he needs to add the approach for the runway he is landing on. Finding the active runway is simple, either listen to the ATIS or check online for a current METAR if using real world weather. If using custom weather, then you already know what the winds are and can plan your runway accordingly.

Jay

Ar the risk of starting yet another internet argument, the STAR has nothing to do with his problem. A STAR is a arrival procedure, not an approach procedure. He says his FLIGHT PLAN is not lining him up, which it is not designed to do, he needs to add the approach for the runway he is landing on.
That is true, but since the OP seemed to be a bit puzzled and since there are a lot of ways to line up for an approach, he will doubtless be looking at tutorials, so I thought I would at least give STARs a mention and write what it was an acronym for, because many people just type STAR, assuming everyone knows what it stands for! Al

Alan Bradbury

Guest jahman
That is true, but since the OP seemed to be a bit puzzled and since there are a lot of ways to line up for an approach, he will doubtless be looking at tutorials, so I thought I would at least give STARs a mention and write what it was an acronym for, because many people just type STAR, assuming everyone knows what it stands for! Al
Exactly! Which is why you would see my post says STAR with an underline, meaning it is a web link, so if you click on it it takes you straight to the Wikipedia page describing what a STAR is. Pretty neat, huh? Cheers,- jahman.

Exactly! Which is why you would see my post says STAR with an underline, meaning it is a web link, so if you click on it it takes you straight to the Wikipedia page describing what a STAR is. Pretty neat, huh? Cheers,- jahman.
Why are you pointing this out to me? I was referring solely to my own post mentioning STARs Al

Alan Bradbury

Simply put, a flight plan does not include an 'appoach segment', you need to select an approach for the runway you aew landing on. If you are using FSX default planes, press the PROC button on the GPS for options.
Can you please explain this more?

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

QF147: SYD-AKL (ZK-ZQG)

27-5-2018

EK413: CHC-SYD (A6-EUI)

Why don't you click the youtube link that Tom posted, pictures are better than words, and would take forever to write a tutorial for you.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Because the approach depends on what runway is being used. The weather changes, so if you are doing a 5 hour flight, it is possible the runway changes before you arrive, therefore you would get a STAR before decent.

Whenever i create a flight plan from anywhere to anywhere, it never lines me up with the runway. It gives me an angled approach. Quite simply, WHY???
Some have already pointed out the reason, if you are flying in and out of the larger airports then STARs will help (particularly if you are flying the larger aircraft). However, if you fly the smaller stuff OR want to use much smaller destinations then you would normally join a traffic pattern around the airport. There is a tutorial within FSX in the "Private Pilot" section about "Traffic Patterns" and more information here. Hope that helps, G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Can you please explain this more?
Ryan, you dont say what plane you are using, so I am assuming it's a single engine prop since you are new. All default planes have a built in GPS, which makes learning a bit easier. If you havent done so already, go to the Learning Center in FSX and dig through the various sections, most of your questions will be answerd there. If you still have confusion, post here again. The 'short answer' is, a flight plan simply gives you a route from point A to point B, it does not take into account any runways. There are only 2 types of approaches, visual and instrument, and instrument have various types, the easiest is the ILS approach, if available. By opening the GPS, you will have a moving map which helps you with situational awareness so you can see your location relative to the airport. It also has many other functions, but the one you need to look at is selecting an approach by pressing the PROC button, then looking at the different options available for that airport. Once you know the runway you want to land on, (depending on wind direction), select your approach for that runway, then LOAD it. Once you are 15-20 miles from the airport, on an intercept heading for the runway (usually no more than 45 degrees), then ACTIVATE the approach. For an ILS be sure you have the correct freq and course in the #1 Nav radio and active, and set the NAV/GPS switch to NAV. Try to intercept the LOCALIZER first, at an altitude that is below the GLIDESLOPE, around 2000ft AGL(above ground level). Thats the basics, let me know what specific plane you are using and I can possibley assist a bit more, but check the Learning Center first. Again, STARS/SIDS have nothing to do with any of this at this point, you first need to learn how to insert an approach into your flight plan. SIDS/STARS are primarily for turbine aircraft and dependent on direction of flight and only major airports use them.

Jay