Sign in to follow this  
rp1

Changing MOBO without having to reinstall everything?

Hi, I've got a P8P67 rev 3.0 mobo with the well known dual-boot issue. I've tried everything, even contacted ASUS support but the issue could not be permanently cured. Now I am considering to RMA the board and go for a Z series one. Now the question: can the MOBO be exchanged without having to do a fresh re-install from scratch again? FSX is fully set up and running just great, and honestly I am not in the mood to spend 2 days on installing and tweaking it. Thanks! Robert

I think it should just be install the board and install the drivers for the mobo. I dont know if you will have to do all the other drivers or just mobo though.

There is no point upgrading to the Z series to rid yourself of the dual boot issue, it happens on those too, you cant put your PC in standby mode either, these i7 2500/2600 boards have been the buggiest boards I have ever owned.

Cheers, Andy.

There is no point upgrading to the Z series to rid yourself of the dual boot issue, it happens on those too, you cant put your PC in standby mode either, these i7 2500/2600 boards have been the buggiest boards I have ever owned.
Well in that case I'll stick to the P8P67 - which otherwise is perfectly fine for me - and hope that the new one won't have the dual-boot issue. Robert

What dual boot issue on the Z series board? I have a P868Z-Deluxe motherboard that doesn't do that.

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Your one of the lucky ones then, it's called the cold boot issue, it usually worse if you have a water-cooling setup that keeps the case and motherboard cold. They won't wakeup from cold in standby either.

Cheers, Andy.

Your one of the lucky ones then, it's called the cold boot issue, it usually worse if you have a water-cooling setup that keeps the case and motherboard cold. They won't wakeup from cold in standby either.
Hi Andy, Maybe a BIOS update will cure the problem

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

I believe I'm already using the latest BIOS for my Extreme Z, I look into it again tomorrow though.

Cheers, Andy.

you can swap boards as is without reinstall. W7 will want a reactivation on the hardware detection, re-run windows experience, and you are good to go.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

I believe I'm already using the latest BIOS for my Extreme Z, I look into it again tomorrow though.
Hi Andy, You have probably already done this, but reset CMOS flash latest BIOS and then reapply BIOS settings. This seems to have worked for others. The Z68 motherboards are OK I think the BIOS is buggy.Hope this helps

Andrew Dixon

I just wanted to chime in here:Same issues as the OP, and I also heard the Z series have the same problem.ASUS has no idea what's wrong.I do have complete watercooling setup (nothing on the mainboard though, except CPU Cooler).I'm being plagued by a dual-boot issue, no idea about standby as not using it. Also with a dual-boot comes a boot-hangup, a cursor is blinking and Windows doesn't come up. I'm seriously pi$$ed at ASUS for producing some really lame boards.It does seem that when cold(er) in the room the boot issue happens more often. I am not being able to solve it in any way. Oh and I have never been able to make the double boot happen... when I shut down and immediately power up again, also within 10 minutes, no double boot (computer is warm).And: latest BIOS is on, latest drivers, tried overclocked, tried stock, happens randomly, and happens on all setups (tried also with underclocked RAM etc) Oh and to answer your topic: it should be easily possible to install a new mobo without a windows reinstall. Did it 3 times on my current setup. Working great (when in Windows).

What dual boot issue on the Z series board? I have a P868Z-Deluxe motherboard that doesn't do that.
Not going to believe this...............Dual boot has just happened to me!!!!!!!! This is after 2 weeks of normal operation, go figure.

Andrew Dixon

Funny thing is that the ASUS support guy told me (based on a MOBO expert's opinion) that the dual-boot, cold-boot etc. issues only affect a small fraction of the boards. I'd be slightly curious to know how many of us are dealing with it. Robert

Not going to believe this...............Dual boot has just happened to me!!!!!!!! This is after 2 weeks of normal operation, go figure.
See see :)

me too, since day 0. I think it's a lot more of us than Asus is willing to admitI don't know if it's only Asus though