Sign in to follow this  
PingPong

Anyone else out there using 3d vision, a few questions

Hey guys I just got a really nice 120 Mhz Acer 27 inch monitor to switch from a triple widescreen display to a single large 3d display. Overall the sense of immersion is fantastic, the NGX cockpit literally comes alive, and the framerates have improved thanks to the smaller field of vision. I was just wondering if you are having the same issue I am, whenever FSX puts a 2d sprite or graphic on the screen it doesn't convert to 3d, and hence shows up twice, and literally makes me cross-eyed. Examples would include the smoke coming off the tires when landing a heavy jet, some scenery graphics(ex. the mist from the waterfall at the the new Orbx Fall City), or sometimes night lighting and runway lighting. Is this something I will have to learn to live with or is there something to be done about this? Thanks

Guest jahman

The problem is a 2D sprite is a 2D object, therefore it is impossible to apply 3D perspective to the sprite. Just like a HUD neets to collimate to look realistic in a VC, a 2D sprite would need to be repositioned for 3D stereoptic vision, something that FSX doesn't do as it was designed before 3D graphics were available. Not at all an imaging expert here, but that's what I suspect is going on. Cheers, - jahman.

Yeah I kind of figured I would have to live with it, it's a trade off, the 3d VC looks amazing, you almost want to touch the dials. But those sprites really make you go cross-eyed sometimes.

Guest jahman

FWIW, sometime "soon" MS will release Flight and I would bet 3D viewing will be supported and will be quite spectacular. Cheers, - jahman.

for anyone who like big monitors (TV), I just got the LG 47", 3D TV from Costco, and this is SPECTACULAR!!, the 3D gives off too many lines and really doesn't work very well, but the color, brightness, and everything else about this picture is the "cats pajamas".......I tried a bunch of other brands, sizes and types, and this LED is the top of the heap............a little pricy, but if you want total immersion, this is the one for you..........B42L8