Sign in to follow this  
Copperleaf

First long flight - continuing problems

Still on my first really long multi stage flight and have noted some more problems:- 1. Have awful problems when I load a saved flight. I normally load from a saved flight from Radar Contact 4. Every time I load, after the PMDG countdown, I get violent pitch oscillations that take some time to get under control. Every save is made with VNAV and LNAV selected. I usually lose a few thousand feet while this is going on. Any body else having this problem? 2. On landing at KSEA, I opened the front left door and had THREE door placards lit on the overhead. As well as the passenger door, the LEFT FORWARD OVERWING and RIGHT FORWARD OVERWING placards were lit. Any body else having this problem? 3. While transiting over the USA, I have had nil success in getting the autoland function of the AP to work correctly. When landing in KORD, only one AP on the MCP could be actuated and the SINGLE CHANNEL caption was lit. I tried this approach twice in order to make sure that the aircraft was set up correctly, and exactly the same thing happened again. In KSEA, both AP on the MCP could be selected, but again the SINGLE CHANNEL only caption was lit. I paused the approach to check the aircraft configuration, and everything was set up correctly. The only event common to both approaches was the fact that a runway change was made in the last 8000 feet of descent. In both cases, I reset the runway on the FMC and selected a new approach so the DU was showing a correct path and on the LEGS page of the FMC had no discontinuities. Any body else having this problem? Chris Hall

The overwing lights flash during taxi sometimes, its a quirk of the real ng. Something about a slow latch or something iirc

The plane is a bit out of kilter loading a saved flight and I lose a bit of altitude until the engines are spooled up but i don't get oscillations. What happens if you load the flight from FSX instead of RC? I often get the door warning signs when taxiing / stopped. Have you got the Autloand function to work at all or is it only at certain airports?

Still on my first really long multi stage flight and have noted some more problems:- 1. Have awful problems when I load a saved flight. I normally load from a saved flight from Radar Contact 4. Every time I load, after the PMDG countdown, I get violent pitch oscillations that take some time to get under control. Every save is made with VNAV and LNAV selected. I usually lose a few thousand feet while this is going on. Any body else having this problem? 2. On landing at KSEA, I opened the front left door and had THREE door placards lit on the overhead. As well as the passenger door, the LEFT FORWARD OVERWING and RIGHT FORWARD OVERWING placards were lit. Any body else having this problem? 3. While transiting over the USA, I have had nil success in getting the autoland function of the AP to work correctly. When landing in KORD, only one AP on the MCP could be actuated and the SINGLE CHANNEL caption was lit. I tried this approach twice in order to make sure that the aircraft was set up correctly, and exactly the same thing happened again. In KSEA, both AP on the MCP could be selected, but again the SINGLE CHANNEL only caption was lit. I paused the approach to check the aircraft configuration, and everything was set up correctly. The only event common to both approaches was the fact that a runway change was made in the last 8000 feet of descent. In both cases, I reset the runway on the FMC and selected a new approach so the DU was showing a correct path and on the LEGS page of the FMC had no discontinuities. Any body else having this problem? Chris Hall
1. Yes. Same problem (and many other problems :-) )2. No I don't have this problem3. Yes, but it always start with single and if you are following the glide path it changes in dual channel, I read somewhere this was normal behavior. Eric

Hello flyingscampi. I had autoland working fine during the tutorial. The problems seem to have occurred when I tried FS flying for real. I am interested if anyone else using RC4 is getting the same problem. I would like to post a pic of the KPAE approach, but I can't find any instructions on how to upload a .jpg. Can anybody help? Chris Hall

2. On landing at KSEA, I opened the front left door and had THREE door placards lit on the overhead. As well as the passenger door, the LEFT FORWARD OVERWING and RIGHT FORWARD OVERWING placards were lit. Any body else having this problem?Chris Hall
I had an issue when I landed at Kos (Greece) and opened PAX door L1 (left one). I then noticed that two additional lights showed that more exits were ‘open’. The two exits were over wing exits L2 & R2 and while it was indicated the exits were open they were however closed. I cycled the over wing exits, the lights would not go out – however I remembered I have ‘service based failures’ turned on. I ran through some check lists, clicked on the ‘maintenance’ button and all done, lights went out and the aircraft was serviceable again. Just like in real life after the aircraft has done a certain amount of cycles things can start going wrong, sensors which are used to detect the position of the exits often go wrong (showing incorrect warnings/positions) as they get warm and very old very often. The sensors are known to be very sensitive, so sensitive certain airlines have deactivated them – on some aircraft they cause far more problems than they solve.

I've had the overwing exit issue a couple times - I don't know if it's a modelled 'quirk'...I actually doubt that (unless someone from PMDG pipes up)... But I've only had the overwing issue with a specific repaint - the Sunwing on in my case..so I think it could be some out of wack panel state saves or something.

This is a screen shot of an approach to KPAE. KPAEApproach.jpg As you can see, it is a single channel approach despite setting all the parameters for a LAND 3. I would appreciate any advice or comment. Chris Hall.

Chris, "it is a single channel approach" Where do you see that?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

This is a screen shot of an approach to KPAE. KPAEApproach.jpg As you can see, it is a single channel approach despite setting all the parameters for a LAND 3. I would appreciate any advice or comment. Chris Hall.
Set your autoland options to FAIL OP instead of FAIL PASS. That should fix your issue. :)

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

With CMD displayed in approach mode, it isn't single channel, but actually dual autopilot operation. There is a nice table in the FCTM, but I'm too tired to look it up (sorry). With a FAIL PASSIVE system: SINGLE CH = one autopilot. This will show from the approach mode becoming active until self-tests are completed at ~1500FT. You will see the LOC/GS deviation scale/diamond on the PFD flash yellow when this happens. When in APP mode, CMD = two autopilots. Any failure on one side (loss of ILS receiver, Flight Control Computer (FCC) failure, etc.) will cause SINGLE CH to annunciate and autolanding is no longer possible. With a FAIL OPERATIONAL system: SINGLE CH = one autopilot. Again, this is the indication until the self-tests at ~1500FT. Once below 1500FT, you get LAND 3 = three autopilots (one for each button on the MCP and one that turns on by itself in APP mode). In case of a failure of one system, NO LAND 3 appears on the EICAS and LAND 2 annunciates on the FMA = two autopilots. FAIL OP systems have a C/R (cancel/recall) button under the SYS MFD page selector button. This toggles the display of the NO LAND 3 message. In case of second system failure, you get NO AUTOLAND on the EICAS and SINGLE CH. In any case, failure of all two/three systems will result in the AP disconnect buzzer, red flashing AP DISC light, FMA will show FD and you have control tongue.png

Success! Once again, many thanks for all your help. I will re-read the FCTM and print out the table. KPAEApproach2.jpg A very happy Chris Hall.