Sign in to follow this  
guy

"Insufficient Memory" at FSX startup!

Hi all, When I try to start FSX the FSX image appears and then, during STARTUP, after 5-7 seconds themessage "INSUFFICIENT MEMORY. Restart FS with other settings...." comes up. This happen's now all of a SUDDEN.I still use Vista 32 bits(with 4 MB memory and 500 giga free disk space),but I NEVER have had memory problems during the 3 years I use FSX now.Also I did not install anything new or modified anything during the last days. I have found a Microsoft topic about it:http://support.micro...kb/892610/en-us I tried to follow their advice.I have rebuilt the windows paging file.I have run dxdiag and memory test, evrything is ok. I have also analyzed the logbook of Fsx. It is ok, no corrupt entry.I have deleted then the Fsx.cfg file to force FSX to create a new one. But nothing helps! Has anybody ever seen this, Insufficient memory during FSX startup?Would be grateful for any ideas. Guy

FSX can only use 3gig of ram, even on a 64bit system. Have you replaced your video card with a larger Ram one, have you installed any addons. Check your startup list and see whats being loaded, you may simply have too many other programmes loaded.

Thanks for the answer.I have several addons installed (LVD, Pmdg, IFly.etc)They have always worked without problems.The video card has 512 MB. I haven't changed anything on this system in the last 2 weeks.Fsx has run well still yesterday, and today it refuses to start even when no other application is running!The message comes immediatly, only 5-7 seconds after the start and the task monitor indicates that only 25% of memory is in use at this moment.The most astonishing is that this happened all of a sudden, without an apparent reason! Guy

Delete your fsx.cfg and let fsx rebuild a new one.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Download Memtest and run some tests on your physical memory sticks. Is the pc running warm, by any chance?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi all, When I try to start FSX the FSX image appears and then, during STARTUP, after 5-7 seconds themessage "INSUFFICIENT MEMORY. Restart FS with other settings...." comes up. This happen's now all of a SUDDEN.I still use Vista 32 bits(with 4 MB memory and 500 giga free disk space),but I NEVER have had memory problems during the 3 years I use FSX now.Also I did not install anything new or modified anything during the last days. I have found a Microsoft topic about it:http://support.micro...kb/892610/en-us I tried to follow their advice.I have rebuilt the windows paging file.I have run dxdiag and memory test, evrything is ok. I have also analyzed the logbook of Fsx. It is ok, no corrupt entry.I have deleted then the Fsx.cfg file to force FSX to create a new one. But nothing helps! Has anybody ever seen this, Insufficient memory during FSX startup?Would be grateful for any ideas. Guy
By any chance, is this when you load the PMDG 737NGX? (If you have it of course) If so that is probably your problem. The NGX uses a massive amount of memory, being as detailed as it is. For 32 bit systems especially, you need to reduce FSX's initial memory load. These are the things you need to try. Set your USERVA to 2816 (Which is the proper setting for a 512MB video card)If you have other complex addon aircraft in your dll.xml, set the ManualLoad field for each unused (in the current session) addon aircraft, and any other unused utility to TRUE. This will make FSX ask you each startup whether to load that DLL into memory. Say No to each one you are not using, and yes to the one(s) you are. (Again in that session) Note don't set it to any that are used all the time or is scenery dependent, such as FSUIPC, or FSDT's Addon Manager. Doing this was enough for me to get the NGX running smoothly on my system (Also a Vista 32bit system). If that's still not enough, reduce some of your graphic settings.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Thanks for the answers.I said in my initial message that I have already deleted Fsx.cfg and run a memory test.The PC is also not too warm and Userva is set.I tried the dll.xml modification (manualload =true), makes no difference.I do not have the pmdg ngx but the pmdg 747x, Lvd 767, ifly 737 etc have always run without problems. I have had no problems at all until now with FSX or any add-on and haven't done any modifications.The message "Insufficient memory" comes not when I load an aircraft,but IMMEDIATLY after STARTING FSX! Guy NB: I have the french version of Fsx.

Down load and run malware bytes, just incase there is a gremlin causing the issue. It has to be manulayy updated but is really good

FSX can only use 3gig of ram, even on a 64bit system.
Wrong wrong wrong!!! FSX can use up to 4GB of VIRTUAL SPACE! Nothing to do with RAM. How often more?On 32bit, it's another story though. With userva, 3GB is correct. But still virtual space. And to the OP: couple of things to try.1) backup dll.xml and exe.xml (rename/remove)2) move everything out of FSX\Modules folder3) delete fsx.cfg4) ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\ backup scenery.cfg here and rename/remove5) Move to a backup folder any Aircraft you might have installed (I create a folder BACKUP inside the Simobjects/Airplanes, and just move it there You have to find the culprit causing it, and this is the way. If it starts up afterwards, you can start by adding stuff in, each time you do, just fire up FSX to see what happens.

"I have run dxdiag and memory test, evrything is ok." Memtest is run from a floppy or USB key before Windows boots. Is this what you did?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi, Many thanks for your answers. Malware has found no infections. I had already done the test with the rename of dll.xml and Fsx.cfg. and I have made thetest now of renaming scenery.cfg and removing everything out of the modules folder.But the result is always the same: INSUFFICIENT MEMORY! When i delete the fsx.cfg before startup, afterwards it contains only two parameter: [GRAPHICS] SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458432 [sOUND] AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000So the startup goes not very far. I have run the standard windows memory test wich run's also before the boot.If the memory was faulty, the message would also be another one. I also don't think that the problem is due to a specific aircraft, because the messagecomes up so early , IMMEDIATLY after the STARTUP-initiation ! There must be a problem with some basic FSX-file! Guy

Hi, Many thanks for your answers. Malware has found no infections. I had already done the test with the rename of dll.xml and Fsx.cfg. and I have made thetest now of renaming scenery.cfg and removing everything out of the modules folder.But the result is always the same: INSUFFICIENT MEMORY! When i delete the fsx.cfg before startup, afterwards it contains only two parameter: [GRAPHICS] SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458432 [sOUND] AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000So the startup goes not very far. I have run the standard windows memory test wich run's also before the boot.If the memory was faulty, the message would also be another one. I also don't think that the problem is due to a specific aircraft, because the messagecomes up so early , IMMEDIATLY after the STARTUP-initiation ! There must be a problem with some basic FSX-file! Guy
Did you do the same with exe.xml??? That one also holds some files that preload with FSX. Why don't you reinstall FSX if everything else fails?

Did you do the same with exe.xml??? That one also holds some files that preload with FSX. Why don't you reinstall FSX if everything else fails?
I have no exe.xml ! I think I will try a repair install. I have FSX-Sp2 installed.I have made some research about the repair install in the forum.They say one must first desinstall Sp2 and Sp1 and then do the repair and afterwards reinstall SP1 and Sp2.Seems logical to me. Is that right?It is also imortant to save before the repair the following files:fsx.cfg, dll.xml, scenery.cfg and all the modfied default files , aircraft.cfg etc.Are there other files to save? Guy

Guest jahman
Wrong wrong wrong!!! FSX can use up to 4GB of VIRTUAL SPACE! Nothing to do with RAM. How often more?On 32bit, it's another story though. With userva, 3GB is correct. But still virtual space.
  1. Not quite 4 GBy as some address space needs to be reserved for the 32-bit Windows compatibility stub so 32-bit FSX can communicate with 64-bit Windows. (Anyone know the actual size of this stub?)
  2. /USERVA has been obsoleted since at least SP2/Acceleration.

Cheers, - jahman.

1. I don't quite know what you mean here, but I know I can measure full 4GB usage under 64bit2. And why is that? USERVA basically tells 32bit OS to assign 3GB for an app and 1GB to system, not correct??