Sign in to follow this  
kiwi55

Weather at small airports work round

Having found the interpolation at small airports does not work well (useless). I tried many way to find a solution and have now settled on a reasonable work round when just flying locally..On the "report" page select a airport which is reporting close by. (not interpolated). Then on the "option" page bottom left is a weather distance setting box. Either set global or a long distance.Now you have the close by reported weather at your local airport.

Hello, I don't understand what you mean by useless. What problem with interpolation are you having? Could you provide some details?

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

HiPlease look at my post "Interpolation SP3" dated 29 Augaust 2011. I never received any worthwhile answer. I just trying to offer answer which works for me in this post.For flying between our 5 main airports in New Zealand, which have weather reporting in your system, using Jets it is great but for local VFR flying the weather is always wrong. I am using standard with all the usual settings that have been recomended. I have tried every combination.Dave

Hello, I was able to find that post.I apologize that this was not solved to your satisfaction. I will do my best to assist. First, please refrain from using phrases like "worthless"... I imagine you will receive quicker and more friendly help if you can refrain from that. Thanks! I personally spent over 1000 hours working on the interpolation system and despite some problems we have had in the past, it most certainly is not worthless, and provides the ability for much of the features you see in ASE, much beyond what you see in surface METAR reports. If there is a problem, then we will fix it. Why would we want to have something "worthless" or broken in our software, if we have the capability of fixing it? If a VALID RECENT METAR exists and is not being considered, then we indeed have a problem and would like to try and solve that. I would first like to verify that you are using ONLINE REALTIME and not using historical, or sim time, which could greatly affect your results. If you could please provide those details, including all your logs, and specifics to help us reproduce this condition, we will perform a full investigation. I'd also like to remind everyone that official support is provided by our Support helpdesk via our website. This forum is an added resource for potentially quicker help from community members and the occasional online developer but if you are expecting official support, this is provided via our helpdesk.

Damian Clark

Hi Damian,Thankyou for reply. I am sorry for my use of strong words but this has been a fustrating problem. If you fly in a well populated area like the USA I am sure the program works perfectly but for countries like New Zealand there is a problem.Interpolation says NE DIST: 378 DXXX then some data,SE DIST 627 FOOG,SW DIST 985 FHAW,NW DIST 336 DGAA, THese results always come up. At a reporting airport such as NZAA the weather is always correct. It is the interpolated airports that are the problem. Hope this helpsDave Jennings

Thanks Dave, I will investigate this using these parameters. Of course, if there are no data reporting points with valid current weather, it has to get data from somewhere, but if NZAA is indeed valid and current it should be using that for the strongest influence, for example. I'll check it all out and report back. Thanks!

Damian Clark

Hi Damian, Thankyou I have seen other posts where the same exact interpolation details have been reported and the airport has been on the other side of the world. Something is causing this problem.If we can fix this I think your program will be first class. I love every other aspect. I noticed there was another log file called ASA.log I had a quick look through that and the New Zealand airports seem to be OK. I assume that log is from a time before I changed to ASEDave Jennings

This problem has been around for a while and discussed previously. See the thread in this forum "Surface Weather unreliable at Regional Airports" dated 19 March 2011 and Jim's reply on the 20 March

Hello, I have finished preliminary investigation of this.Using real time weather, live, over the past 3 hours, there are two good reporting points, NZAA and NZCH. I specifically tested 10 different stations in New Zealand and the interpolation was indeed correct and weighted properly, using these airports as references in at least one quadrant.Please keep in mind than if a station exists within 200nm, and all other stations much further (1000nm for example), the weighting pretty much ignores these long range influences. They only become major influences if all stations are at similar ranges. We understand there is confusion about this, and have been working to provide further notice or even remove these stations from view since there is little to no influence. I am wondering, are you trying this during a time which these NZAA and NZCH reporting stations close and do not provide current data? Are you using non-live weather? In either case, not having NZAA and NZCH available is normal. We filter these out if their reporting time is over approximately 3 hours old. If there is no station data to use, we have to look further. We find the closest in each quadrant that is reporting current valid surface METAR information. It is significantly weighted on range. I cannot find any problem with this system. Please try with live weather while NZAA is reporting current weather and let me know your results? Can I recommend that you enable all live weather, go to the airport of your choice in NZ, let all weather processes finish for a few minutes, then show me the Interpolation Details (via screenshot) so I can see exactly what is being reported by your system? Thanks!

Damian Clark

Hi Damian,Thanks for reply. The way you have described your interpolation principle is exactly how I would expect it to work however in some of our systems it does not work that way. Nzaa and NZCH should always be reporting as they are major airports. It seems that on our systems no mater what is reporting at NZAA/NZCH the wind at outlying airport is zero. I am away for a couple days but will continue to test when I get back. I assume you mean the "real time button" when you refer to live weather?Dave Jennings

Hi Dave, Yes, "Sync to Real Time" and "Automatic Downloads" enabled. A screenshot of your actual interpolation details as well as the main ASE screen would help to verify all this and if there is a problem I'll be able to more easily identify it. Thanks!

Damian Clark

Sorry here it is. These interpolation results seem to be the same for most of the small airports and I have seen a post somewhere wherer someone had the same results on the other side of the world?Dave Jennings

The last screen shot you provided demostrates that ASE is working as it should. The only actual station significantly affecting the weather at NZWR is NZAA. The other ones are just there for reporting reasons (and these reports could be easily removed if we ask Damian, if that's what's bothering you). What is the ICAO of the station of the first screen shot? Is it NZPI, Parakai you mentioned on the other thread IIRC? This station is neither in the FS station's database nor in the internal station db ASE maintains. May be that's the reason you're getting these erroneous interpolation information. If that's the issue, then you could insert it manually (if you know lat,lon etc) until the station database is updated Kostas Terzides

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png