Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

"Shimmering" instruments in vc

Read an advice a couple of days ago regarding video driver versions where someone suggested not to use the latest version but instead use a version that is known to be stable with FSX and then stick to it since not much will improve with new video driver versions in regard of FSX. The reason behind the suggestion was a guy who had problems using the latest Nvidia driver (280.26) and he reported that after downgrading to an older version (can't remember the exact version out of my head) his problem was solved. The thoughts behind this in some way made sense to me so I did the same thing downgrading to this same older version but soon discovered that was not a good thing to do in my case...after doing this I got a really bad "shimmering" effect from many parts in the vc. I see this shimmering effect especially when using Track-IR and slowly moving my view in different directions inside the vc. Looking at the FO's PFD for example and especially the alt and speed tapes shimmer alot and it looks plain ugly! Same thing for some of the parts of the overhead panel, like small white artifacts might be a way to describe it. Since then I have tried pretty much everything, I have of course tried removing the old Nvidia version and went back to the latest version I used before I got this problem. I chose the advanced method when installing the driver where you can choose to perform a clean installation where all old stuff should be removed automatically before the new driver is installed. When this didn't work I manually removed all traces I could find of Nvidia stuff both on a file level and in the Registry, rebooted the PC and then did a new and fresh install of the driver but still same problem. I have tried various settings using Nvidia Inspector, both the settings recommended in PMDG's general forum but also Nick Needhams settings (which are very similar except for the AA transperency setting) but no matter what settings I use the shimmering won't go away. I also see some of it looking at the a/c in an external view especially when looking at the engines but also some shimmering from parts of the wings etc. Considering all steps I have tried making the shimmering go away I almost start belive maybe I had this shimmering all the time but I just for some reason didn't notice it until now which by a chance happened at the same time I did this driver version experiment fooling me to belive that caused the shimmering. Regardless it's annoying to say the least to have this very ugly shimmering effect so if anyone has any tip on how to get rid of shimmering once and for all please share your wisdom! My specs are in my signature.

Richard Åsberg

Doesn't really show up on a screenshot since it's especially when slowly moving your view you see the effect. I tried to capture it shooting a short video using my iPhone but I realize after looking at the video it's very hard to see the problem on a movie as well...the problem doesn't show nearly the way it does IRL. Anyway below is the link to the video and if you look carefully I belive the shimmering is easiest spotted looking at the edges of the fuel temp gauge and you can see some of it looking at the FO's PFD as mentioned in my first post but most clearly in the movie you see it looking at the terminal building...parked at EINN at the moment. And sorry for the crappy quality of the video, I belive you see more of me shaking trying to hold the mobile with one hand and trying to follow my own movements using Track-IR :( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZoJv9UzpoI

Richard Åsberg

Doesn't really show up on a screenshot since it's especially when slowly moving your view you see the effect. I tried to capture it shooting a short video using my iPhone but I realize after looking at the video it's very hard to see the problem on a movie as well...the problem doesn't show nearly the way it does IRL. Anyway below is the link to the video and if you look carefully I belive the shimmering is easiest spotted looking at the edges of the fuel temp gauge and you can see some of it looking at the FO's PFD as mentioned in my first post but most clearly in the movie you see it looking at the terminal building...parked at EINN at the moment. And sorry for the crappy quality of the video, I belive you see more of me shaking trying to hold the mobile with one hand and trying to follow my own movements using Track-IR wink.pnghttp://www.youtube.c...h?v=9ZoJv9UzpoI
Richard, I have been attempting to find the cure for the shimmering and have only had limited good results. I have the GTX-460 card and use the Inspector with about 90% of the settings that TABS has pinned in these forums. A AVSIM friend in AU said the best way to check and show the results is to use the Quest Kodiak VC. If you can get that sucker working correctly, you have the key. Do you happen to have that Lionheart add-on? If so, maybe you can snap a series of screenshots to post. Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

First thing that you need to do is to mipmap your textures. That will solve all texture shimmering issues. If that's not the case, just follow the AA guide posted here.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Richard, I see you have a GTX480. I have a GTX580 on the 270.61 drivers and I also see the shimmering. For me it only occurs when the a/c is in motion. I can't remember if I've seen it in the main panel or not. I notice it most when taxiing and doing the engine start procedure in the overhead. This video might show the shimmering a little better than yours. I'm wondering if this is also what you're seeing? To see it clearly you have to go full-screen @720p.

Thanks.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Sorry but I don't have the Quest Kodiak.How do I mipmap my textures? I did follow the AA guide and like I said in my first post I have tried different settings using Nvidia Inspector.From what I can see in that other video the effect seems very similar to what I see, I'm pretty sure it's the same shimmering I see.Thinking about all the time I invested trying to fix problems similar to this one caused by FSX and the obsolete engine I'm really looking forward to MS Flight or anything else that might be around the corner in the future that hopefully will let us all spend more time enjoying great addons like the NGX and actually flying rather than troubleshooting and tweaking...

Richard Åsberg

Sorry but I don't have the Quest Kodiak. How do I mipmap my textures? I did follow the AA guide and like I said in my first post I have tried different settings using Nvidia Inspector. From what I can see in that other video the effect seems very similar to what I see, I'm pretty sure it's the same shimmering I see. Thinking about all the time I invested trying to fix problems similar to this one caused by FSX and the obsolete engine I'm really looking forward to MS Flight or anything else that might be around the corner in the future that hopefully will let us all spend more time enjoying great addons like the NGX and actually flying rather than troubleshooting and tweaking...
I think about MS Flight from time to time but when I look at my collection of FSX add-ons and what I paid for them in the last two years or so I think I might have a major decision to make. I would bet Flight will not be compatible with FSX. Who in the their right mind would keep this monster alive if there was another choice. Ray

Very interesting. . . while waiting for Capt. Robert to post an update . . . I checked the mail, the snail mail. I had the latest issue of Computer Pilot magazine waiting for me with an article by Doug Horton entitled "Ready for Microsoft Flight?" This is a full five pages that starts off with the disclaimer that he knows nothing more than the maitre'd at your local McDonalds about MS Flight. His guess is it will be based on DirectX 11 and we will be discussing at lengh a new term - Tessellation. I may be getting to old for this crap. The article references a link - that is broken, by the way - where we can download a game to benchmark our pc setup to see how it performs with DirectX 11. I guess the jest is if it will run the game, then it may run Flight. My GTX-460 graphics card returns 19.1 FPS with the Heaven DX11 Benchmark according to a table on page 28. Doug didn't tell us exactly what Tessellation on or off will do for us but did say . . .when in doubt, consult www.Wikipedia.org. Always sage advice. The link for the only oficial MS Flight info is www.microsoft.com/games/flight but I heard a rumor, or maybe I started a rumor that full disclosure about MS Flight will be available the exact same day and time as the PMDG Military Variants for the 737 NGX is available. Computer Pilot Magazine, Vol 15 Issue 5, Sep/Oct 2011, Doug Horton, starting on page 26 in the hardcopy and page 25 in the digital copy. Ray

That's interesting! Just tried running that Heaven DX11 benchmark with the result below so if that is the kind of FPS I could have in MS Flight with that kind of graphical quality running the NGX I would be more than happy smile.png ...and without the any shimmering I hope...:( Render direct3d11Mode 1920x1080 4xAA fullscreenShaders mediumTextures highFilter trilinearAnisotropy 4xOcclusion enabledRefraction enabledVolumetric enabledTessellation normal Binary Windows 32bit Visual C++ 1600 Release Mar 1 2011Operating system Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bitCPU model Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHzCPU flags 3900MHz MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE41 SSE42 HTTGPU model NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 8.17.12.8026 1536Mb FPS 44.0Scores 1109Min FPS 23.4Max FPS 91.4

Richard Åsberg

Richard, I see you have a GTX480. I have a GTX580 on the 270.61 drivers and I also see the shimmering. For me it only occurs when the a/c is in motion. I can't remember if I've seen it in the main panel or not. I notice it most when taxiing and doing the engine start procedure in the overhead. This video might show the shimmering a little better than yours. I'm wondering if this is also what you're seeing? To see it clearly you have to go full-screen @720p. Thanks.
I have a GTX580 as well, same drivers, and shimmering on the overhead only.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Sorry but I don't have the Quest Kodiak. How do I mipmap my textures? I did follow the AA guide and like I said in my first post I have tried different settings using Nvidia Inspector. From what I can see in that other video the effect seems very similar to what I see, I'm pretty sure it's the same shimmering I see. Thinking about all the time I invested trying to fix problems similar to this one caused by FSX and the obsolete engine I'm really looking forward to MS Flight or anything else that might be around the corner in the future that hopefully will let us all spend more time enjoying great addons like the NGX and actually flying rather than troubleshooting and tweaking...
You need photoshop with the nvidia plugin for DDS files. At least that how I do it. If you don't know how, I'd be happy to send you my textures, however I'm not sure if the size of the folder would pass.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Interesting you only have the shimmering effect on the overhead panel but not anywhere on the main panel looking at the FO's PFD for example from the captain's seat?What I did notice though is that if I'm using my POD on my yoke I don't see much shimmering because the movements are much faster compared to when using the Track-IR where you're able to pan around very slowly. So...at the moment it seems I have to choose between using the Track-IR with this ugly and annoying shimmering or fly without Track-IR that would feel like a rather big sacrifice.

Richard Åsberg

I have gtx 570 and shimmering on the overhead and with active EZDOK only.

You need photoshop with the nvidia plugin for DDS files. At least that how I do it. If you don't know how, I'd be happy to send you my textures, however I'm not sure if the size of the folder would pass.
Wow, that's a very kind offer however I'm not sure it would be legal to send modified textures from commersial products so you better not.What I wonder is why the textures don't come in this format in the first place if that eliminates the shimmering but maybe it's a FPS issue?

Richard Åsberg