Since my upgrade I run ASE on the same machine as FSX. I miss being able to get METAR and especially Winds Aloft from my laptop (where AS6.5 used to run on WideFS).Is there an alternate way I can still view the data from the AS servers....without swapping screens etc on my FS PC?Ta!

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Hi, you can still use ASE in networked configuration, but instead of WideFS you use SimConnect. The instructions are outlined in the manual under "Networked Configuration". I think this might be the best solution for you? ASE will run on the laptop and inject weather and allow XGauge use direction on the FSX machine.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Yes, but I like the performance with it injecting directly and not over the network- so is there another interface to access the waypoint winds data? C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Hello, Unfortunately no, the product must be used directly to access the data. There is no alternative means. At least not at this time... we are working on new technologies which would permit this kind of usage in the future.

Damian Clark

Is there any real world source that would be convenient? I still own AS6.5- can I use it for that purpose only w/o it wanting to fail not finding FS?

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Absolutely! Rarely does the data from our servers vary from real world parameters. But there are no facilities to look directly at our data without Active Sky.

Damian Clark

Brilliant! So if I understand you correctly, just re-install AS6.5 on my laptop....and use that for METAR/winds etc. How do I set it up without it seeing FSX? I don't want any interaction there!Thanks SO MUCH for your help!!C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

You can use ASv6 but if you have WideClient running via a WideFS setup it will indeed connect to FS. The alternative that I thought you were suggesting was to use actual real life information, which is available on the web from many locations. Here in the USA for example the NOAA (www.aviationweather.gov) website provides just about everything you need (also for many non-USA areas).

Damian Clark

I would like to be able to put in a waypoint (LAM, DOMUT, WOBUN, YSY, DOLIP etc.) and be able to get winds aloft for that waypoint. I have not found a website where I can do this......? If there isn't one, is it possible to install AS6.5 on the laptop (that doesn't have FSX on it) and still access your server? If I select a wrong path purposely (so that AS6.5 cannot find FSX and ASE will still control Wx) will the install still go on and allow me to get AS6.5 running. I do run WideFS on that laptop for other programs I use........so i cannot simply not use WideFS. Sorry for being a bother- but I am a bit stuck at the moment. Ta!

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Hi,Yes you can install ASv6 on the laptop, but it will attempt connection to FSX via FSUIPC if WideClient is installed and activated via a WideFS machine. If you have ASE for example installed on the FSX machine, as well as WideFS, both weather engines will fight for control. On the other hand, if you have no WideClient installed or used on the laptop you wish to do this on, then no problem! The paths should not be a big deal either way, but the best scenario would probably be to install FS (any version) on that laptop and let ASv6 connect to those files, which would not be relevant to your true FS installation the other machine. I'm doing my best to assist with a solution for you, but please realize this is not a supported configuration and certainly never intended.

Damian Clark

I do understand, and thank you for your willingness to work with me, and for your help. I will try getting it to work.Ta!

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper