Sign in to follow this  
Ralph33

fsx unstable

I have been using fsx for about 2 months now and find the scenery much better than fs9, however i find that fsx is unstable. I crashes or freezes every so often. whereas fs9 is rock solid. i was wondering if there are updates to the fsx program available since the original to fix this problem. Would appreciate some advice. Ralph

Yes, SP2, you should.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Do i require SP1 and SP2. and briefly what do they do for fsx. I looked at the site to download them and it specifies operating systems vista or xp. I am running windows 7. Does that make a difference?

Install SP1. Start FSX. Exit. Install SP2. Start FSX. Enjoy! FSX and Win 7 are a match made in heaven. LOL.gif

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Thanks for the help. I installed SP1 and SP2 as you said. No problems the scenery looks much better and it works fine. One other thing. With fsx gold there is an acceleration disk. I tried installing that awhile ago and had problems. Errors came up and i am reluctant to instll it again. Is there a special proceedure to install it?

Yes, you must uninstallSP2, and then SP1. Install Acceleration, if your computer meets minimums. It adds other aircraft, scenery, missions, and fixes (in addition to SP1 and SP2). Some addons also require it to be installed. Have funDave

To add to what Dave says above - 'Acceleration' includes "a version of SP2". You can't have both together.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

i am a bit confused about installing Acceleration. I just installed SP1 and SP2 and it improved FSX. In order to install Acceleration I now have to remove SP1 and SP2 which returns me to the basic FSX installation. Then install Acceleration which includes SP2. Is this correct?I suppose if it does not work out I can always uninstall it all and then reinstall. Also when I look in my program listing all I see is Microsoft Flight Simulator x Service Pack 2I don't see Service Pack 1 How do I remove SP1 and SP2 and leave the basic FSX program in order to install Acceleration.

In order to install Acceleration I now have to remove SP1 and SP2 which returns me to the basic FSX installation. Then install Acceleration which includes SP2. Is this correct?
Yes
when I look in my program listing all I see is Microsoft Flight Simulator x Service Pack 2I don't see Service Pack 1
Also correct, Ralph. Remove SP2 using the Control Panel. I think this removes SP1 as well, but I can't remember off the top of my head. Doesn't matter, though. If SP1 now becomes visible in the CP - remove it - if it doesn't - then just assume it has done so. Then reboot and install Acceleration.

Hi Paul. I did as you said. And everything went smoothly. All works fine. I can now use the acceleration. When I tried to load it before I must have tried to load it with SP2 already there. Thanks Paul for your help and also the the others. Ralph