Sign in to follow this  
fbass

Crashing, Crashing, Crashing

Man, I don't know what happened but I can't select any of the new NGX aircraft to fly. Either FSX right after the selected aircraft displays in the "Free Flight" window or it crashes after the PMGD countdown before the cockpit displays. I uninstalled the aircraft and re-installed it twice and it didn't help. I can fly the default (Trike) without problems but as soon as I try to load the B738 or B739 aircraft it crashes FSX - hard. I can't even use Windows to get rid of the application process. I have to shut down the computer at the PSU. However, before shutting down the system, I can use other applications - just not FSX. I tried both 3rd-party and default scenery thinking it might be a problem there. No difference - crash. BTW - during both re-installs, there was no request for the key code for activation. I don't know what happened there. I have all the other PMDG aircraft and haven't had this problem. I'm using FSX + Accel and Windows7 64-bit. System has 12Gb of RAM and I'm using an SSD (484Gb) to store FSX plus addons. I have an NVidia 480GTX graphics card. At this point, any suggestions. Thanks Frank Bass

Sounds like you have the same problem as me. I have that Nvidea card to. Try this first. From PMDG 1. Delete any "Previous Flight" files from both My Documents\Flight Simulator Files and from FSX\PMDG\PMDG 737 NGX\PanelState. 2. Open up the 737NGX_Options.ini file located in FSX\PMDG\PMDG 737 NGX and delete everything except for these lines that should be at the top: [iRS.0]LastPosValid=0[iRS.1]LastPosValid=0 3. Open your FSX.cfg file and do a search for "situation" - delete the line that's found (this is the default startup state for the sim, deleting it will reset it) That has 100% fixed it for a couple others. And if that doesn't work. I have to ask. Do you have a multi screen set up? I fixed this problem by opening up FSX. Selected a different aircraft other than the PMDG. I ran the different aircraft. CTL ALT ENTER to minimize it. So that it is in windowed mode. Then moved the window onto the primary display. Then I went to the aircraft page and selected a PMDG 900 with winglets. It works. Also make sure you start flight sim on your primary display, and make sure you exit flight sim on your primary display. If you don't the problem will come back.

I removed entire NGX. I reloaded NGX and HF3. I defragged. I removed shadows (shadows on plane and shadows cast by plane) I am running at 31 FPS. I do NOT run DirectX10. I have all sliders to max on left. I have sliders on right to Very Dense. I have 65 hours on NGX and one CTD. No lens flare, no light bloom. Performance is very good, almost no stutters over KLGA, KDCA, KATL, KMIA. I HAVE NO virus PROTECTION. I use machine ONLY for FSX.. I also shut down EVERYTHING but essentials. I just flew 8 hours straight, 4 landings from KATL, KSVN, KMIA, SELT and SEQU. For some reason its now flawless. I am using Vista Business 648 GB RAMNvidia Quadro 5600 (set to default application)Xeon guad core 3.16 ghz

Disconnect your Flight Controllers while loading up the NGX. There is a known issue with some controllers causing the NGX to crash when loading. Try that and see if it works. If it does plug them back in after it fully loads up.

Julian, I followed your instructions - no joy. FSX hard freeze. I removed the "Previous Flights"I removed one line from the "Options.ini" file - that one line was the only extra line in that fileI removed the "SITUATION" line from my FSX.cfg file I do have a multiple monitor setup. I have 4 monitors. Three of those monitors are actually seen by the OS as one - TripleHead2Go. So, FSX does start on my primary monitor and is terminated on those monitors. Next, I tried loading another aircraft and then going to the B738. Still crashed. I'll now try the next response Thanks for all your help. Frank

JohnS, I've already un-installed and re-installed the NGX. That didn't help. When you use an SSD, there is no defragging. So, that is not an issue. I never run FSX with DirectX10 - ever. I do have virus protection but the process is disabled when I run FSX. Frank Bass

Paul, Your suspicions turned out to be correct. I unplugged all my controllers and the aircraft loaded. I didn't take a flight but getting it to load without crashing is a great start. Here are the controllers I have connected. Perhaps someone might find an answer there: GoFlight - 25 modules all plugged into powered USB hubsVRInsight - CDU-IIThrustmaster Warthog - throttles and stickSimTECHNIK - pedalsACE B737 airline yokeTripleHead2Go - digitalPlanar 15" touch screen monitorOE-XAM helicopter collective NOTE: I did not unplug my Matrox unit and the aircraft loaded properly - so, that is not the problem I guess my next test will involve plugging my controllers back into the system to see if I can identify the offending module. Again, thanks for all your help. Frank Bass

After I removed all my USB controllers, I reconnected the yoke, pedals, GoFlight throttle module, and a hat switch I implemented on my yoke using a BU0836X board (also USB). I checked each device in sequence. When I touched the hat switch, FSX crashed and froze the system. I rebooted using the power switch. I checked the hat switch function using Windows7 game controller and the menus provided in FSX for controllers. In each case, the switch could be configured and calibrated properly. Then, I checked the switch function in two other aircraft and FSX did not crash. Also, none of the other controllers caused FSX to crash. I can't imagine why the NGX would crash because of an implemented switch - but there you are. Of course, there may be some other problem but right now it appears a hardware device causes the NGX to crash FSX. Note: I also checked the implemented switch function in the Windows7 Device Manager - there were no anomalies shown in the drop-down list. Frank Bass.

Frank, What is this (BU0836X)? "and a hat switch I implemented on my yoke using a BU0836X board (also USB).". Do you have 2 hat switches .. one of which is on your yoke?What type of yoke do you have?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Well least we now know this problem is not just limited to the X52 and X52 Pro Controllers. Hope they figure this one out soon.

Vaughan, The BU0836X is a universal joystick controller board (see http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/). The hat switch is implemented using this board. Regarding my yoke - the yoke is an ACE B737 yoke (see http://www.737yoke.com/). In this "reduced" configuration mentioned above, there is only one hat switch. I do have another hat switch that is part of my Thrustmaster Warthog stick. However, this is not plugged into my system as I'm trying to find out what modules are causing FSX to crash. Thanks for all your responses. Frank Bass

Frank,Long shot here:Have you disabled the hat switch in MSFS (using BU0836X)?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Not yet. It is still plugged into the USB hub. I was in the middle of testing. Note: The fact that the switch is still in the FSX configuration and active, does not seem to matter except when I try to fly the NGX. The switch appears to work properly with all the other aircraft I tried. I successfully tested it specifically with the Trike and with PMDG's B744. Frank Bass

Vaughan, The BU0836X is a universal joystick controller board (see http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/). The hat switch is implemented using this board. Regarding my yoke - the yoke is an ACE B737 yoke (see http://www.737yoke.com/). In this "reduced" configuration mentioned above, there is only one hat switch. I do have another hat switch that is part of my Thrustmaster Warthog stick. However, this is not plugged into my system as I'm trying to find out what modules are causing FSX to crash. Thanks for all your responses. Frank Bass
If you are listening Santa, please get me one of these for Christmas, I've been good all year!