Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nandan Patel

1 computer with 7 monitors

Hi there.I want to build a cheap home cockpit. Will I be able to use 1 computer for 7 monitors?This is what i want 7 monitors for:3 x Monitors for main Captain, Centre and Co pilot displays (I.e on the MIP).1 x Touch screen monitor for Lower display and FMC and squawkbox etc.2 x Large Monitors for scenery display1 x Touch screen monitor for overhead panel (so don't have to build one, will have to use FS9 addons for overhead panel):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWGRZAVNb20&feature=player_embedded This is because I want to use the FS9 addons for my displays, eg PMDG 747 for a 747 cockpit and PSS 777 for 777 cockpit etc (just undock and drag the displays -PFD, MFD etc- to each different screen). Not sure if it will work though so need your help on this.Is this possible, ie using FS9 addons for displays and using 1 computer with FS9 on it to show these displays on 7 monitors...?I am planning to use:VRinsight autopilot module for the MCP,2x Saitek Yoke2x Saitek Rudder pedals,Saitek Pro Flight Switch panel for landing gear and autobrakes etc,Goflight throttle QuadrantGoflight Radio StackSimilar cockpits to what mine will look like:www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy_uPWJrXQQwww.youtube.com/watch?v=IYw7L4kz-V0&feature=relatedCheers.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

7 monitors on 1 PC...nah m8.You need atleast 2, FSUIPC( registered), and FSWide.

My Lil setup below has 6 screens, 3 Surround, 2 FDs(Touch Screen), and one for CDU. All running off one pc, just popout gauges resize/move, 4 video card outputs and one Matrox TPH2go=6 screens. I could add a cheap PCI video card or another MAtrox DH2go for a 7th screen if needed. You're gonna need a strong rig and some capable video cards to do the above.DSC01042.jpg

Wow nice setup there. I stand corrected, it would seem tongue.png ( hungover reply Yawn.gif ) Where did you get those screens from? ( above yoke?) oh, and is there any jobs going where you work? Looks like they pay well. laugh.png

They are Lilliput Touchscreens monitors, gotem off EBAY.

Thanks for the replies. My rig's specifications are in my signaturecool.png . What im thinking of is using pop up displays for PFD and MFD etc and for the overhead use the largest touch screen i can find and for the FMC and lower display use another 17 inch touch screen or something. Then resize the gauges and move them into correct places on the MIP. Is this possible? Also will FSXpand help me with this or will i have to use FSPanel Studio to edit gauges and add more into the cockpit etc. Check out my other thread for FSXpand: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/349516-using-fsxpand-on-addons-for-pfd-etc-displays/ If i get another bad cheap PC, will it be able to show the graphics clearly if i network the 2 together? I.e. use the other PC to show the displays (3 screens for PFD, ND and EICAS etc) and use my good PC with FS9 on it to show the inflight graphics and the overhead (so 3 screens). Cheers and thanks for the help.

I think you have some confusion on FSXpand's ability. You cannot network in-game pop up gauges(screens). FSXPand, Aerosystems AU,Project MAgenta, etc provide their own pop ups (Gauges) seperate from in-game FSX. They allow network capability, etc. Seems like you're just planning on running FSX in WIndowed mode and moving the windows to whatever screen you choose, that's easy and simple. Most FSX planes allow you to do that without FSpanel Studios editing ability. FSPanel studio can help for custom setups though, just make a new window and drag and drop what gauges you want. If you're runnig FS9 I don't see the need for another PC as long as your rig is fairlymodern. I run FS9 way past max using ifly's bird and about 7 popup windows. Oh yeah the more windows you popup the more a performance hit you will take.

Yes I am using FS9. Thanks for the explanation of FSXpand! Got it now. Can i network 3 computers so that my 1 computer won't take such a hit when i use the popup gauges? Is this possible? I.e. use 1 computer to show the main captain, centre and copilot screens while another is devoted to the touch screens for FMC and overhead and the other to show the outside graphics. Thanks for the help!Cheers!

you would need an ouside fsx program to do that, project magenta, sim avionics etc. Really costly. Honestly an i7 @4+ ghz doesnt break a sweat on a fully loaded Fs9 install.

Ok. But just so my system will last longer i can do what this guy did right? http://www.737ng.co.uk/setup.htm . I want to do what he has so there's less strain on my system. He used PMDG 737 for his views on 3 computers. Is it just a matter of networking and then dragging the displays onto each screen which is connected to 1 of the 3-4 computers?

Looks like he used Fsxpand(external gauge program) and networked the two pcs. Kind of overkill for such a small setup.

Kind of overkill for such a small setup.
Haha, ok. So i have decided that if i build a home pit, i will use 1 good computer (just like my current one, which will be a hell of a lot cheaper now than it was last year) and 1 average as one to network which i will hopefully be able to get for under $150-$200 just to display the gauges for captain, copilot and the FMC and Lower Displays.