Sign in to follow this  
wanabflyer

FSUIPC Totally confused

Does anybody know how to set up a CH Yoke and CH Pro Peddles with FSUIPC? I have been playing with this thing for hours just trying to get my Ailerons to work. I managed to get my elevators to work (i think) and thats it. It apears that after first assigning my axis i cant calibrate my full right and centre positions. I get a ping that is telling me it's not accepting the inputs, plus the numbers in the boxes do not update. And i haven't even got to my peddles yet.Everbody keeps telling me, Get FSUIPC and forget that stuff that comes with your hardware, but i gotta tell you, this is definatelly not user friendly software. I Googled and found one guide but i think it's a bit out of date and the manual in the modules folder isn't that good either. Is there no way to save your settings in FSUIPC, or don't you have to?Anybody? Pease.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Does anybody know how to set up a CH Yoke and CH Pro Peddles with FSUIPC? I have been playing with this thing for hours just trying to get my Ailerons to work. I managed to get my elevators to work (i think) and thats it. It apears that after first assigning my axis i cant calibrate my full right and centre positions. I get a ping that is telling me it's not accepting the inputs, plus the numbers in the boxes do not update. And i haven't even got to my peddles yet.
Why don't you ask in the Support forum, the one documented for FSUIPC support? The ping simply means you are trying to set a number out of order. The MINIMUM must be lower than both CENTRES and the MAXIMUM higher than all the others. That's what those English words, minimum and maximum mean! Minimum is "lowest", maximum is "highest". See? Remember you are dealing, in FSUIPC, with numbers, not dots on a picture like other methods. That's why it is more precise. If you don't actually want precision, why use it?
Everbody keeps telling me, Get FSUIPC and forget that stuff that comes with your hardware, but i gotta tell you, this is definatelly not user friendly software. I Googled and found one guide but i think it's a bit out of date and the manual in the modules folder isn't that good either.
What on Earth is wrong with it? It even has pictures in it. <G> The calibration guide tells you step by numbered step, exactly what to do.
Is there no way to save your settings in FSUIPC, or don't you have to?
They are saved in the INI file when you click "OK". If you cancel or press OK, the previous settings revert. All as per any standard windows program. Please use the Support Forum. I won't answer here again. RegardsPete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I know FSUIPC can be complicated and my best advice is to go to the FSUIPC forum. A lot of people have been in your position and CH products are very popular so I am sure you will find the needed information. You are right, it isn't very user friendly. Like many FS utilities, it relies of jargon to explain how it works rather than plain language. In the end, however, it is worth it and once you figure it out, you won't have mess with it anymore. A couple of things that Pete has mentioned that may be buried in the forums or manual: 1. Clear the relevant controls settings from the FSX menu. I know a lot of the problems I have had were due to duplicate assignments that made FSUIPC and FSX fight each other.2. Plug in your controls and leave them plugged in. When you unplug your yoke on a regular basis, FSX can get confused with identifying each controller. Also, I found that the yoke and pedals are the hardest axis to calibrate so I have let FSX manage those with its default settings. Where FSUIPC is really needed is when you get to the throttle axis. If you want them to control reverse thrust, flaps and spoilers properly, you need FSUIPC. FSUIPC fourm: http://forum.simflig...dowson-modules/ Good luck. Be patient. BTW, Pete watches the forum and he will respond to questions. Just make sure you do a thorough search before you ask - trust me with this. EDIT: It looks like he is watching this forum as wellhappy.png

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Also, one thing I didn't mention is that FSUIPC has a lot of other settings that you won't find in FSX and I think you will find that you will prefer using it for almost everything rather than relying on FSX.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

There is a user guide written by another chap onhow to set up, throttles and foot pedals, But imm not on my other pc right now,

The other basic thing to remember with CH products is irrespective of whether you just use FSUIPC4 to assign the axes, buttons, keys, etc or a mixture of FSX and FSUIPC4 all of the axes in FSX must be set to FULL Right (100) Sensitivity and the NULL Zone (Far left - 0).The other caveat if you are using the CH Manager then no duplicate assignments in that and FSUIPC4, and for best results it should be set to "Direct" Mode.There is a guru. Bob Church, over on the CH Hangar forums and he is very good at helping people.Again as someone says make sure that your computer doesn't trurn off USB hubs etc to save power as that can cause issues.As Pete D will tell you there is NO advantage in assigning an axis. key or button in FSUIPC4 if you can assign it in FSX, but it is useful for complicated controls and fine tuning calibration.RegardsPeterH

Guest jahman
As Pete D will tell you there is NO advantage in assigning an axis. key or button in FSUIPC4 if you can assign it in FSX, but it is useful for complicated controls and fine tuning calibration.RegardsPeterH
I find assigning everything via FSUIPC advantageous for the following reasons:
  1. Assign all controls per-aircraft,
  2. One single file to backup all your assignments,
  3. Easier to avoid double/conflicting assignments.

Cheers, - jahman. PS: Peter, check out the guide I posted above by John Cook. It's very complete and easy to follow, so after soeone else posted it I keep recommending it to beginners.

JI am aware of John Cook's guide - i wrote to him just after he published it and gave him a couple of suggestions on aircraft specific options. (PeteD also included some of my suggestions in the appendices of his manuals.) My guide for FS2004 (sadly out of date) is still on the CH Hangar forum, but it gives the basics on how to assign in FSX/CH Manager/FSUIPC. I agree with your comments re FSUIPC4 and its universality - all good points. I just prefer the Mix 'n Match approach!LOL.gif (A Logitech G940 (now defunct) convinced me of that.Thanks for your responsePeterH

I apologise for my rant in my OP, but boy i was getting realy frustrated, so thanks for still helping me out. Your info is a great help and i am eventually getting there. Have all my axis done and working on buttons and then i am going to try the reverse thrust thing. Thanks again guys.Still say your software is not friendly Pete biggrin.png

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest jahman
I am aware of John Cook's guide
Any way you can convince PeterD to inclue John Cook's guide in his "User Manual" (which is a Reference Manual, really!)? I had the hardest time cracking FSUIPC (specifically, setting throttle reverse zones) and in general John Cook's guide would have made a world of difference to me.
I just prefer the Mix 'n Match approach!LOL.gif (A Logitech G940 (now defunct) convinced me of that.Thanks for your responsePeterH
Out of curiosity, can you briefly elaborate? Thanks!
...Still say your software is not friendly Pete biggrin.png
FSUIPC is the hot chick at the bar: Intimidating to talk to at first, but once you get over it real sweet! Cheers, - jahman.

JI assign anything that's universal in FSX say rudder, throttle (single GA), brakes, elevator, and all the basic buttons and keys, etc.I used to use FSUIPC4 only (no FSX assignment) with tons of aircraft specific files but for simplicity's sake I decided to use FSX and FSUIPC4 together - yes, 'quirky' I know!I now calibrate all axes in Windows and fine tune in FSUIPC4. Anything complex (elevator trim) or aircraft specific (eg VRS Superbug RA Duke)) I use FSUIPC4 (avoiding duplicates, etc). (I don't fly the complex superliners but I guess if I did I would probably assign everything via FSUIPC4)John Cook's guide is under FAQ on Pete D's forum so I guess he won't add it to his manual, (I read your entry under FAQ - that is one great guide - I even replied at that time - Setting Thrust Reverse, Prop Feather and Mixture Idle-Cutoff with CH Hardware)RegardsPeterH

Guest jahman

Thanks for the clarification, Peter. The thing is I still see people complaining it's too hard to get "into" FSUIPC, so if PeterD made it easier by includig the user guide into his Reference Manual (or better yet, having a stand-alone User Manual for beginners with two sections (CH vs. Saitek) he would sell many more registered versions of FSUIPC :( Cheers, - jahman.

I do the same thing Peter does. I use FSX for the normal stuff, like elevator, aileron and many of the button assignments. I use FSUIPC solely for the throttles, flaps and spoilers. I don't know why, but I never got it to reliably work if I set it within FSX.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Used to do this in the past, but that was partially due to things like have an X45 profile set up that I really liked. After going into new hardware/Win 7 x64 dumped all device software and just use the default MS Win drivers. I unassign every button and axis in FS9/FSX except the view hat. So I leave controllers enabled in the sim. On occasion FSX will feel the need to "correct" standard.xml, but that can be fixed if you need to. I now assign all axis / buttons in FSUIPC as standard axis/command and calibrate in FSUIPC, except for gear lever which I have a hardware axis assigned to commands in FSUIPC. Works great for X45, CH pedals, Saitek yoke. Saitek throttle quad. As far as Pete Dowson's support forum, it is great provided you have looked at the user guide. Also worth taking the effort to go through the advanced user guide as well. scott s..